Patchance (JACK Patchbay) first pre-release

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

houston4444
Established Member

Re: Patchance (JACK Patchbay) first pre-release

Post by houston4444 »

@tramp

@houston4444 Maybe you've some fun by setup a virtual env script for your app

I perfectly know this method, but I don't want to use it because I want the program to use the default Qt Version, because all running Qt programs share the Qt lib. If I use virtual env (with a not default python version), there are many many chances that the Qt version used is not the default one, then the memory usage of the program may be much important, especially on KDE or LXQT desktop environments.

tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

you could use the --system-site-packages flag to ensure the system (global) qt package is used in the virtual env.

On the road again.
retnev
Established Member

Post by retnev »

tramp wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 3:42 am

Python could be poison, I've done a lot of tools I use in python, some of them wouldn't run any more on my system, or if I port them to new versions they give wrong results. That's because python changed a lot in the underlying maths (nympy, scipy, . . ). Strange, how could maths changed?, but that how it is. So to be able to use my old tools I've set up a virtual env for them were I run them from. That makes python absolutely stable.

@houston4444 Maybe you've some fun by setup a virtual env script for your app :)

Thanks for the env script suggestion and especially the --system-site-packages flag.
Reading up on it, I might even be possible to fix it myself, although a user should not be faced with this development-level issues and it should be caught during development of the application relying on it.

Dont tell me about Python numerical bugs. I have lots of stories to tell about that.