Tone 2 Nanohost makes .dll plugins into standalones

Discuss running non-Linux applications and plugins on Linux, for example via wine

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

glowrak guy
Established Member

Tone 2 Nanohost makes .dll plugins into standalones

Post by glowrak guy »

https://www.tone2.com/nanohost.html

This has been around for a while, so I tested this with the new Reaper 7.07 in almost the newest AVLinux, with a recent wine-staging 8.x
Things worked very well, easy to set up and config audio/midi i/o

In the photo are two of the stellar windows freeware synths, Superwave P8, and Oatmeal.
Nanohost provides it's own preset handling if a plugin does not have it's own, as is the case with P8
Oatmeal has an excellent built-in randomizer, and provides cheesy names that you can replace as desired.

The Oatmeal skin is one that comes with a common archive of sounds skins and the plugin:

Oatmeal https://plugins4free.com/plugin/3925/

Superwave https://plugins4free.com/plugin/244/

NanoHosted.jpg
NanoHosted.jpg (246.19 KiB) Viewed 12038 times
Largos
Established Member

Re: Tone 2 Nanohost makes .dll plugins into standalones

Post by Largos »

Why would you use this instead of Carla?

glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

Currently, I only have time for one daw, Reaper, in my case, and a few executables I can route there if desired. I try to test most linux audio creations, and found Carla is well worth knowing and using if one has the time. If I were decades younger, there are MANY things I would study up on, and put to use, that just won't fit at the moment.
Cheers

glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

Nanohost also works with Synth 1, and it's zipfile containing 16 thousand presets works
as normal when selected in the Synth 1 preset panel. That sound archive is also available at the link below.

Synth 1 https://plugins4free.com/plugin/245/

If you extract the archive, 16k-Synth1-Presets.zip

the last folder will be called 'zipbank'. It contains all the .zip files of all the soundsets. Place that folder in your Synth 1 folder.
Do not extract them! Synth 1 will do that for you on the fly, whenever you choose one from it's preset selector in the 'external' tab.
You can move or remove the other extracted folders as desired.

The sounds from Mr. Wobble, Nolwenn, and Luck Now are good ones to tool around in.

Cheers

sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

I don't get the point either. If you're using a daw then why wouldn't you want these to be vsts inside the daw?

autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

Moving this topic to Running non-linux software as this is about running Windows plugins in a Windows VST host with Linux.

glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

Who says I 'always' use a daw? Sometimes I just want to play, or browse soundsets, or record some basic track, or test out some new rakarrack settings. Sometimes I just play a hardware synth. Also, nanohost has capabilities some synths are lacking, so it's a nice option to have. I can still fire up Reaper if the Muse so whispers :wink: In the pic, standalone Synth 1 goes to Rakarrack, and both go to Reaper.

gnarly.jpg
gnarly.jpg (117.47 KiB) Viewed 11849 times
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

I often use timemachine for quick recordings with standalones, rather launcing the daw. Options and choices make me happy.
Sometime I have audacity, Reaper, and standalones being recorded together.
Cheers

sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

glowrak guy wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 12:09 pm

Who says I 'always' use a daw?

No one said 'always' but you implied that you use a daw.

Currently, I only have time for one daw, Reaper

glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

Another reason I sometimes use standalones, is that some of my favorite sounds are in old 32 bit plugins,
and between versions of reaper, yabridge, wine, and linux system parts, and my lack of technical insights,
there have beem times when, inexplicably to me, they didn't work. Even when keeping updates to a bare minimum,
occasionally things, or a thing, changes, and 'poof' :shock: But the 7.07 reaper seems to be quite well behaved in that area.
The whole world of plugin scanning/loading/displaying is a mystery to me! Forunately, the entire linux system
acts as a daw of sorts, hosting all and sundry, while placing very few roadblocks to making fun things possible in unique situations.
Cheers