Hi, CoreVanne here, new to this forum !

Why not tell us a little bit about yourself? Welcome to the community!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

CoreVanne

Hi, CoreVanne here, new to this forum !

Post by CoreVanne »

Hi everyone, I'm CoreVanne. I'm 19, studying computer science and just decided to use my Linux Mint dual boot my main OS, and to use the infamous Windows 10 ( :P ) when I just can't use anything else for the thing I want to do on my PC. Really glad to finally use only Linux for music/gaming (BG3) and my studies !

Being mainly an Ableton composer/producer (I never used the Live aspect), I'm now happy to have fully moved to Linux Mint, and testing few of the native DAWs, while REAPER seems to be my favorite so far. I kinda would like to use Ardour as it's an open-source software, but the UI and the MIDI editing feel too off for my DAW habits. For now I use Vital as my main plugin, as it's basically the same as Serum and have really nice built-in effects. I also use MuseScore4 for sheet music writing, so this habit won't be changed.

I'm also a huge fan of dawless jamming (ambient/dark ambient, noise, dungeon synth, and sometimes industrial/techno) with my hardware gear and looking into going into modular synthesis (I only have a Behringer Neutron and a Volca Modular for semi-modular synths), I also have an Arturia Minibrute that I use as a drone/bass, a Volca FM2 use as a played synth with a MIDI keyboard (Arturia Keylab Essential 61 MK1) thanks to the 6 voices polyphony, a Behringer TD-3, a Boss DR-5 drum machine, a cheap Casio synth/toy, an electric guitar, bass, kalimba and an acoustic double-bass (I'm currently learning it in conservatory, so I don't use it in my jams/recordings as my current skill on it is really meh). I use NTS-1 and a Korg AKG30 for effects, and I record into cassettes using an Akai Hi-Fi tape recorder.

Glad to be a part of the Linux audio/musicians community, and will share with you my journey, questions, and creations ! Let me know if there is any active Discord server about Linux audio/music ! :D

You can find my music in these links (very various genres) :
Bandcamp : https://corevanne-music.bandcamp.com/
YouTube : https://www.youtube.com/@corevanne_music

CoreVanne.

Gps
Established Member

Re: Hi, CoreVanne here, new to this forum !

Post by Gps »

Welcome, and Ardour might be the best Linux daw, but its less easy to get into.

The way I see it, LMMS is basically a midi editor.

Ardour is for recording life audio and can do midi too.

One possibility is to create a midi track in lmms, then import that into ardour.

I do not think LMMS is for you though, seeing all the hardware you have. :)