Feliz Navidad (al infierno)

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Rainmak3r
Established Member

Feliz Navidad (al infierno)

Post by Rainmak3r »

Hi all,

I've been a bit lazy since the EP last year, but Christmas is coming, and with it my desire to take famous songs and turn them around! After last year I did my bombastic metal versions of All I want for Christmas is you and Last Christmas, this time it was the turn of Feliz Navidad:

https://soundcloud.com/lminiero/feliz-n ... l-infierno

It's titled "Feliz Navidad (al infierno)" because, again, I changed all major stuff to minor, moved things around, and made it much more evil, metal and epic :mrgreen:

I have another Christmas song ready too, but for that I'm working on a cheesy video: I hope I'll be able to share that soon as well!

Happy holidays!

Impostor
Established Member

Re: Feliz Navidad (al infierno)

Post by Impostor »

Nice track again (didn't expect anything less)!

And that outro just begs for being extended into its own doom track...

Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

Impostor wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 3:42 pm

Nice track again (didn't expect anything less)!

And that outro just begs for being extended into its own doom track...

Thanks for the kind words! And yeah, the "Tim Burton's jingle bells" outro came to while jogging, and it almost screamed to become a song of its own :lol:

GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hilarious! I was beginning to fear we had lost you... :(

As usual the production is top notch (even on your novelty tunes). Ahhh the minor keys take the cheer to drama in a heartbeat!

Probably won't translate on an international forum but I've heard the title of this song jokingly called "Police nabbed your Dad" and I feel your version lives up to that much more accurately musically!

Great stuff, thanks!

Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

GMaq wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 5:05 pm

Hilarious! I was beginning to fear we had lost you... :(

Aaaah it's my fault, my mind has been elsewhere and so I've lurked around here much less than I hoped I would :(
There's probably a gazillion new songs I need to catch up with!

As usual the production is top notch (even on your novelty tunes). Ahhh the minor keys take the cheer to drama in a heartbeat!

Ahahah that was the aim! But don't worry, the cheer will come back (probably at my expense) as soon as the video for that other song is ready...

Probably won't translate on an international forum but I've heard the title of this song jokingly called "Police nabbed your Dad" and I feel your version lives up to that much more accurately musically!

Great stuff, thanks!

Pretty sure that's how I'll sing it from now on :lol:
Thanks for listening and for the kind words!

glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

Nicely surprising recreation. The main body would make a fine theme for a crime drama movie/series! Has a grab the villains feel to it 8)
Merry Christmas!

Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

glowrak guy wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 4:53 am

Nicely surprising recreation. The main body would make a fine theme for a crime drama movie/series! Has a grab the villains feel to it 8)
Merry Christmas!

Thanks for listening, and I wish, I always wanted to write a soundtrack :lol: Merry Christmas to you too!

All in One Wish
Established Member

Post by All in One Wish »

How funny this is! Thank you for sharing such an elaborate humour piece.

Your adaptation of the melody to other modes, the key changes, reharmonization etc. You clearly know what you're doing and you are certainly giving it the best possible use it could have, I mean ROTFL

I checked some of your other videos. I expected millions of views. Maybe I didn't look enough? I'm in a hurry I haveto get to work. I stumbled upon this thread by searching for Glen's nickname to see when was it that he became a convert for pipewire (which I read on another thread). I wanted to see if the next AVLinux iteration was going to use pipewire* as the last time I checked he was adamant to use Jack instead but I was lazy to log in...

...until I saw your Christmas rendition LOL. Your rendition of José Feliciano's Feliz Navidad is genious. I hope you don't mind, I might feel compelled to humbly add something to it... LOL

Incidentally but for a completely different purpose, I'd love to (and would pay for) a template of the ardour track with all session details, sound presets, plug-ins that would contain at least one bar of audio and MIDI and any assistance to get any intricacies figured out to get this installed on my system, though, you've been more than open about it.

For your reference on my complimenting your work, a link to some stuff I've done. While deeply allergic to social media, I once in a while would post something on Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxVw3WauHF4

• I've been waiting for pipewire to be a sort of CoreAudiofor Linux but I have an RME Fireface 800 and FFADO latency is abysmal. I then read wtay saying they still had work to do on FFADO, so I've been looking in here (maybe once a month) for pipewire news to see if they have finally addressed these latency issues but haven't found anything. In the meantime I'm using a USB interface.
Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

All in One Wish wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:04 pm

Your adaptation of the melody to other modes, the key changes, reharmonization etc. You clearly know what you're doing and you are certainly giving it the best possible use it could have, I mean ROTFL

Thanks, glad you liked it! :mrgreen:

I checked some of your other videos. I expected millions of views. Maybe I didn't look enough? I'm in a hurry I haveto get to work. I stumbled upon this thread by searching for Glen's nickname to see when was it that he became a convert for pipewire (which I read on another thread). I wanted to see if the next AVLinux iteration was going to use pipewire* as the last time I checked he was adamant to use Jack instead but I was lazy to log in...

...until I saw your Christmas rendition LOL. Your rendition of José Feliciano's Feliz Navidad is genious. I hope you don't mind, I might feel compelled to humbly add something to it... LOL

Millions? I pop a bottle of champagne when a video gets 50 views :lol:
I did indeed switch to Pipewire recently, a year ago more or less, but notice I use it exactly as I used JACK before: I'm simply relying on Pipewire's implementation of the JACK model and API, that I still consider the most flexible for anything music related. I made a presentation last year on FOSDEM to introduce some of the basic concepts: https://archive.fosdem.org/2023/schedul ... /om_music/

Incidentally but for a completely different purpose, I'd love to (and would pay for) a template of the ardour track with all session details, sound presets, plug-ins that would contain at least one bar of audio and MIDI and any assistance to get any intricacies figured out to get this installed on my system, though, you've been more than open about it.

For your reference on my complimenting your work, a link to some stuff I've done. While deeply allergic to social media, I once in a while would post something on Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxVw3WauHF4

• I've been waiting for pipewire to be a sort of CoreAudiofor Linux but I have an RME Fireface 800 and FFADO latency is abysmal. I then read wtay saying they still had work to do on FFADO, so I've been looking in here (maybe once a month) for pipewire news to see if they have finally addressed these latency issues but haven't found anything. In the meantime I'm using a USB interface.

Oh no need to pay anything, I'd have no problem sharing an Ardour template: the only problem would be how to share it, basically, since it's very customized to paths I have locally to custom stuff.

In a nutshell, I created an Ardour template, starting from this one by our Michael Willis, that includes a full orchestra (Virtual Playing Orchestra but using my modified SFZ files for articulations), DrumGizmo bus tracks (Muldjord kit), and then multiple audio tracks for stuff I may need (two piano MIDI tracks using Salamander, a bass audio track, two rhythm guitar audio tracks, two acoustic guitar tracks for pickup+mic, two classical guitar tracks for pickup+mic, two riff guitar tracks, a solo guitar track, a voice track), each with their own EQ and compressor stuff already set up. I then use the three different reverb busses from Michael's original template for everything.

I use this template for everything, whether I'll need a full orchestra or not, because even when I don't there's good chances I'll need at least some of those instruments; and even if I don't, it's easier to remove tracks than add them, and it gives me more consistency across different songs I work on. For this specific track I used them all, because there's indeed a full orchestra behind all the heaviness. Of course there's always a lot of tweaking needed on volumes, because while the orchestra is usually balanced, the other tracks aren't (I record bass and guitars externally).

Should I find a way to somehow share this template I'll do that, but be prepared for a lor of manual editing needed, e.g., to update paths to all the custom stuff I mentioned (SFZ files principally).

All in One Wish
Established Member

Post by All in One Wish »

Rainmak3r wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 12:40 pm

Thanks, glad you liked it! :mrgreen:

The people I admire the most are comedians but elaborate comedy deserves a higher place. Many people might have insane talent but can they brighten your day by making you laugh? It's a personal thing. I think if Heaven is any good it should be a very funny place.

Oh no need to pay anything, I'd have no problem sharing an Ardour template: the only problem would be how to share it, basically, since it's very customized to paths I have locally to custom stuff.

That's very generous of you.

In a nutshell, I created an Ardour template, starting from this one by our Michael Willis, that includes a full orchestra (Virtual Playing Orchestra but using my modified SFZ files for articulations), DrumGizmo bus tracks (Muldjord kit), and then multiple audio tracks for stuff I may need (two piano MIDI tracks using Salamander, a bass audio track, two rhythm guitar audio tracks, two acoustic guitar tracks for pickup+mic, two classical guitar tracks for pickup+mic, two riff guitar tracks, a solo guitar track, a voice track), each with their own EQ and compressor stuff already set up. I then use the three different reverb busses from Michael's original template for everything.

I use this template for everything, whether I'll need a full orchestra or not, because even when I don't there's good chances I'll need at least some of those instruments; and even if I don't, it's easier to remove tracks than add them, and it gives me more consistency across different songs I work on. For this specific track I used them all, because there's indeed a full orchestra behind all the heaviness. Of course there's always a lot of tweaking needed on volumes, because while the orchestra is usually balanced, the other tracks aren't (I record bass and guitars externally).

Should I find a way to somehow share this template I'll do that, but be prepared for a lor of manual editing needed, e.g., to update paths to all the custom stuff I mentioned (SFZ files principally).

AWESOME!!! Hopefully we can talk about this later in the week, I'm very interested in this. I have to head to work now though.