First Time User of Ardour

Still new to all of this? Feel free to post in any of the subforums on this site, but in this subforum newbie questions are especially encouraged!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

usic
Established Member

First Time User of Ardour

Post by usic »

Hell people and thank you for having me in.

I am new to Ardour,
Is it prone to freezing or crashing?
I have it setup in a basic way & files (Projects) will be saved on a external HDD.
Now i don't want to bore people with micky mouse convs.
So.
1- I am a seasoned Musician
2- I now produce my own music
3- Not gigging anywhere (Tired of gigs)
4- I make original scores
5- I am familiar with DAWS Generally
6- At the moment i had trouble with Ubuntu Studio 22.04 & re-inst it probably 5/6 Times
I am weary of getting up and running (Ardour) Because Ubuntu Crashed too many times
7- I am a Linux user & Lover
8- PC: I7 (3.40Ghz), RAM 32GB (1600Mhz), 4 GIG Graphics Card & 3 TB Storage. So why it crashed i do not know Now.
Question: Is Ardour prone to crashing or Freezing up..

Thank You People.
usic

folderol
Established Member

Re: First Time User of Ardour

Post by folderol »

It's usually pretty stable.
Do you have any plugins installed. If so, it's far more likely to be one of those taking the whole system down.
Also use one of the many CPU monitor programs and check you're not running something that's maxing out the CPU.
What machine is it?

The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

usic wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:21 pm

[..]
6- At the moment i had trouble with Ubuntu Studio 22.04 & re-inst it probably 5/6 Times
I am weary of getting up and running (Ardour) Because Ubuntu Crashed too many times
7- I am a Linux user & Lover
[...]

If you've used Linux for a reasonably long time it might be worth the trouble to install your average basic Ubuntu LTS (long term support) and then install Ardour.

Or switch to Qtractor (= Linux only) or Reaper (= for every platform).

God luck! :)

usic
Established Member

Post by usic »

Thanks for reaching back out,

The PC is a "ASUS P8B75-M" Board (CSM) (Micro ATX).

When i seen these errors come up on screen, Ubuntu Studio would get caught in a boot-loop, i CTRL + C'ed, nothing happened.
Next, i used ALT + F4 & it asked for User N: & Password. but did not allow me in onto the desktop (Black Screen & asking for User-N / Password on top left of the screen).
I then manually reboot the PC
ERROR Noticed was "Snapd Deamon Failed To Start".

I noticed, I used bleachbit after a fresh Inst of Ubuntu Studio and cleaned up the System, & that is when all the problems above accured.

One thing, No plugins were installed at the time of the above troubles.
The System is now stabilizing after another inst of Ubuntu Studio (No Errors or Error Messages)..
I will now continue with using Ardour & shall it play up again i jus may try "Linuxmusician01" Idea, Qtractor or Reaper.

For now things are looking good on the System..

Thank You for your help :)

Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

Ardour has generally been very reliable for me.

Ardour might have issues with the data transfer rate to the external HDD. Ardour requires the ability to both write and read audio data during recording and playback, so if the data has a lot of hoops to jump through between Ardour and the HDD, that might be causing your issues.

I haven't ever used Ubuntu Studio, but I detect a general sentiment from other people that it is fraught with issues. If you want a studio-oriented distro, you might have better luck with AV Linux, or like @Linuxmusician01 suggested, you could just modify a more common distro like Ubuntu to be capable of running a DAW.

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

usic wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:56 pm

[...]
I noticed, I used bleachbit after a fresh Inst of Ubuntu Studio and cleaned up the System, & that is when all the problems above accured.

Isn't bleachbit thee problem then? I never use is, never heard of it.

Have fun w/ making music. :)

Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

If you run Bleachbit as root be careful what you let it clean! I regularly use Bleachbit (but not as root) for cleaning my home folder (firefox and thunderbird crap mostly). The only thing I let Bleachbit clean as root is all non-english language stuff.

usic
Established Member

Post by usic »

Well, This, I should have known (Bleachbit as root), & It Must'of caused the problem when stuck in a bootloop and Damage part of the Kernal..

I also am Thinking, maybe to use Ardour without Ext: HDD and loop'it internally.

This has all been worth coming here for.
Plenty of encouragement / advise and Experience..

I will use ardour to check its stability, (Rec a couple of tracks and do some mixing with it).

Thanks a Bunch Folks.... :D

Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

usic wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:03 pm

I also am Thinking, maybe to use Ardour without Ext: HDD and loop'it internally.

Maybe usb 3.0 is fast enough, but I doubt using an external drive with usb 2.0 gives a pleasurable experience. I'm not sure what speed you'd really need for comfortable recording/playback though.

Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

If you want to try a more mainstream distro and customize it for audio production, this post has a good summary of the typical steps.

usic
Established Member

Post by usic »

Hey Thanks for the link to this post. I breezed through it.
So, Without many instructions i was able to setup a Focusrite scarlet 2in2 Audio-box with Ardour, Figured out how to set up Ardour internal JACK,

By the end, after an hour, i Recorded 3 guitar tracks with effects and so on, I found it simple, i will use Ardour for the next while & get to know it a little, then check out "av Linux".

I do have a powerful enough Desktop Machine (Laptops are cramped & shall something go tits down, one may be stuck with a broken machine) at least i got a desktop. This helps greatly with Linux & Music Production too.

May the force be with you Michael Willis. ' :) '

Thank You....