Hello from Durham, England

Why not tell us a little bit about yourself? Welcome to the community!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

dougienisbet

Hello from Durham, England

Post by dougienisbet »

Hello from Durham, UK.

I've recently come across frescobaldi, lilypond and rosegarden and have installed them and started to explore. I've looked at Musescore but find the textinput aspect of Lilypond quite attractive and I feel it may suit me better than a GUI. I'm running Debian Bookworm.

I came across these boards while digging around for information for my setup. I can see rosegarden playing midi files, but there's no sound. Exploration shows that audacity also recognises and silently plays midi files. I don't have any problems playing music in other apps.

I'm currently at "no midi sound in debian bookworm" stage and trying to make some sense of what I'm finding.

I've just done a fresh install of Debian Bookworm and of the apps (or Appimages) and taking stock. I can play MIDI with timidity and fluidsynth AND HEAR THEM, but rosegarden I can see the instruments but no sound.

I'm going to do a bit more reading and look at the rosegarden mailing list, but in the meantime if anyone has a working rosegarden Debian Bookworm setup I'd be very interested in any tips.

Dougie

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Re: Hello from Durham, England

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

A Midi file does not contain an "instrument" or actual audio. It only contains the notes. Fluidsysnth is a synthesizer so it can use your Midi file to produce sound. However, most of the other applications you mention are not capable of producing sound without a "plugin" or someting else to produce actual sound by playing the notes from your Midi file.

Welcome and good luck puzzling w/ Linux and Midi :)

P.S. I don't use Rosegarden so I don't know how to get sound out of it I'm afraid... But lots of people here do.

Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

Welcome! :D

The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
d.healey
Established Member

Post by d.healey »

Welcome, I'm just down the A19 from you

David Healey
YouTube - Free HISE scripting and sample library dev tutorials
Libre Wave - Freedom respecting instruments and effects.
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

Small world - I'm quite a 'bit' further south in Chatham :)
As mentioned you need either a synth of some sort, or a MIDI connected hardware unit. On choice of synth I'm known to be quite biased for some reason :lol:
Incidentally, Rosegarden is also my choice of sequencer.

The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}