The Superpiano

Link to good samples/soundfonts at http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/free_audio_data

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

d.healey
Established Member

Re: The Superpiano

Post by d.healey »

Rhapsody isn't really a player, like Kontakt anyway. It's more of a manager and launcher for instrument expansions built with HISE.

There is no documentation because a Rhapsody instrument is just a HISE instrument. However there is a bunch of dedicated scripts and a template for building an expansion that looks/feels like it belongs with other Rhapsody instruments.

I made a little intro video which will hopefully give you some idea of the process:
https://youtu.be/x4b8WlStG40

I haven't been following this thread. Can someone quickly fill me in on the details? If the samples are already prepared, perhaps it's something I could quickly put together as a Rhapsody instrument.

David Healey
YouTube - Free HISE scripting and sample library dev tutorials
Libre Wave - Freedom respecting instruments and effects.
kobraji
Established Member

Post by kobraji »

It's a shame to hear this from the developer, but I understand that you don't want to do a kontakt **ller, since there are many companies that already use HISE to develop their own player and if rhasody were developed enough, perhaps it could hinder their model business is understandable, thanks for clearing my doubt, I guess they have always been right, the only time-tested format is SFZ, :(
@tseaver- regarding the process, it depends on what you are looking for, it can be complicated,
As for me, it was easy for me to open a sampler in Hise, load an already mapped sfz, load an adsr envelope, load knobs in the interface and link them with autolearn, then export the project as rhasody, but it really is the easiest way.

d.healey
Established Member

Post by d.healey »

kobraji wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 1:27 pm

I understand that you don't want to do a kontakt **ller,

It's not that at all. Rhapsody is just different, it was intended as a way for me to be able to deliver sample libraries to my users more easily than having to compile them all as separate plugins with individual installers. It's not a development platform (like HISE or Kontakt) it's a simple manager for users which is a totally different purpose.

kobraji wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 1:27 pm

As for me, it was easy for me to open a sampler in Hise, load an already mapped sfz, load an adsr envelope, load knobs in the interface and link them with autolearn, then export the project as rhasody, but it really is the easiest way.

Well that's the idea. You can just build in HISE and run with Rhapsody without the need to mess with compilers/codesigning/notarizing/installers/etc.

David Healey
kobraji
Established Member

Post by kobraji »

Ok dhealey, if a company ever wanted to develop a library for rhapsody, is there a way to encrypt the samples so that they are not accessible from HISE? I see an option in HISE to make the samples monolithic, I suppose that is the main problem that large companies do not develop sfz files because the samples are exposed, I am sorry if I digress, or is this not the right place to ask.

sfz meets 80% of my needs, but unfortunately I don't see real alternative libraries to those made for kontakt, and the development of decent sampler in my opinion the only thing it did was stagnate sfz more, that's why I saw rhapsody as an alternative Really, most musicians I know would never leave Mac just for Kontak, and although rhapsody is not a development environment, the only thing that matters to us users is having instruments to play, and rhapsody (Kontakt Player) seems effective for this. .
I'm sorry for so many comparisons.

Last edited by kobraji on Fri Nov 10, 2023 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
d.healey
Established Member

Post by d.healey »

kobraji wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 2:02 pm

Ok dhealey, if a company ever wanted to develop a library for rhapsody, is there a way to encrypt the samples so that they are not accessible from HISE? I see an option in HISE to make the samples monolithic, I suppose that is the main problem that large companies do not develop sfz files because the samples are exposed, I am sorry if I digress, or is this not the right place to ask.

There is no encryption for samples in HISE but as you say you can make them into a monolith (which you absolutely should do). Currently there is no decompressor to turn a monolith back into WAV files, but HISE is open source so it's entirely possible someone could make a decompressor in the future.

David Healey
tseaver
Established Member

Post by tseaver »

@d.healey

I haven't been following this thread. Can someone quickly fill me in on the details? If the samples are already prepared, perhaps it's something I could quickly put together as a Rhapsody instrument.

The OP, @sofia-m, has released several really-well-recorded piano sample libraries, packaged as SFZ:

https://luciphercode.wixsite.com/sofia-mz

Ubuntu, Mixbus32C; acoustic blues / country / jazz
d.healey
Established Member

Post by d.healey »

tseaver wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:29 pm

@d.healey

The OP, @sofia-m, has released several really-well-recorded piano sample libraries, packaged as SFZ:

https://luciphercode.wixsite.com/sofia-mz

Oh wow, those are really nice. It would be great to make a Rhapsody version of these! Although I'm not sure if I could add anything significant that can't already be achieved with SFZ.

Last edited by d.healey on Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
David Healey
varpa
Established Member

Post by varpa »

Getting back to my comments about the issue that for Bb5 and above the notes are very short which makes the piano sound like a marimba. This was using Sfozando. I tried the suggestion you pointed out to set the Damping to <40% (which I found in the sforzando Effect tab under FX type "Ambience"). This had no effect. Actually I find the controls in the Effects tab do not seem to do anything.
Next I loaded the "Superpiano" in sfizz which did not complain about any opcodes and seems to play the piano very well, just as good as sforzando. However sfizz also plays short notes above Bb5. So I think this effect is caused either by something in the sfz file, or possible in the samples. Since sfizz works as well as sforzando, I'll just use that in the future.

I also have downloaded SM_Grand_Piano-2.0-BETA (Fazioli) which plays with no problems in sfizz, with no issue with note above Bb5.

I am playing these pianos via Carla. I set Carla Engine to "Multiple Clients". The I load sfizz, and also Pianoteq. Pianoteq can be used to generate resonances by sending an audio to an input. This is quite nice because it then makes realistic piano resonances which are typically missing from sampled pianos. Using Carla I can also add other effects if desired, such as reverb. I need to run in Multiple Client mode to expose the audio input to Pianoteq.

Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

varpa wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 4:24 am

Pianoteq can be used to generate resonances by sending an audio to an input.

Is that a Pianoteq Standard or Pro feature? My Pianoteq Stage doesn't show audio input channels at all.

Edit: Weird. They only show up in Carla. Not in qjackctl when I run the standalone...

varpa
Established Member

Post by varpa »

Concerning Pianoteq audio input for resonance, I believe this is only a feature of the plugin, not the standalone. Not so weird after all.

d.healey
Established Member

Post by d.healey »

Turns out they're just re-sampled PianoTeq patches - https://pianoclack.com/forum/d/1211-my- ... estonia/43

David Healey
Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

d.healey wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 6:53 pm

Turns out they're just re-sampled PianoTeq patches - https://pianoclack.com/forum/d/1211-my- ... estonia/43

That's some dedication to a pointless exercise, lol.

sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

Call the Church Police! :mrgreen:

Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

Funny thing is now they know they've been duped some are claiming to have been suspicious all along :)

1-0 for Pianoteq.

tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

This just means that if you like them, get them now when they are available. Most likely they won't be for long :-)

I skip that part, I don't know how many gigs of pianos I have on my disk, and this far haven't made any song containing piano.

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM