Ardour 8 released

Check this forum for important info regarding the site.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Gps
Established Member

Re: Ardour 8 released

Post by Gps »

Kott wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 2:38 am
Gps wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 1:49 am

I noticed version 7 is in the openSUSE repositories though. Maybe I just need to wait for Ardour adding a different payment method. :)

Why are you still refusing to use proaudio repository??

Now I am confused. I thought I was already using the pro audio repository. :)
I have Geekosdaw installed. At least that way I get LMMS with a fully working Carla.

This is not the proaudio repository?
https://download.opensuse.org/repositor ... umbleweed/

Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

tseaver wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:29 am

@Gps

FWIW, payment is required to download the precomputed (and more imporant, supported-by-the-Ardour-team) binaries. Re: paypal, their site says, "You can pay with either a credit/debit card or a PayPal account (we use PayPal as our credit card processor, but you do not need an account with them)." This page explains why they use it: https://ardour.org/faq.html#paypal

You are free to download the source, either from the Ardour website, https://community.ardour.org/download?a ... ype=source,
or from Github, http://github.com/Ardour/ardour , and build it for yourself (see https://ardour.org/development.html).

Or you can get it from your distro's repositories, but it will almost certainly trail one or more versions behind the binaries the Ardour team ships. Neither the self-built nor the distro-built versions get explicit support: if you can't reproduce an issue with at least the demo version from ardour.org, it won't get much traction.

I have had a lot of issues, with LMMS from the official openSUSE repositories. Then main issue I noticed is that people don't tell the package builder stuff is not working. The package builder him self hardly knows how to even use LMMS. He did try to help me, but could not get Carla 100% working.
Because I talked to him, LMMS from openSUSE has now two versions. One with wine support one without.
The LMMS issue is solved though by installing Geekosdaw.

Back to Ardour, I am gonna read those pages again, and see if I can find a way to send money to a paypall account.

A quick search brought me to this:
https://financer.com/nl/creditcard/gratis-creditcard/

N26 Mastercard, the site claims there are no yearly fees. If this is true, I might have found a solution. :)
But for now I am very skeptical, about a free credit card existing.

There is not much I miss in LMMS, but groove quantitation is one of them. (and LV2 support)

Cubase and Albeton though, don't have a Linux version and I don't wanna boot windows 10 for music production.
Even though I could, my pc is dualboot, with a 100% legal windows 10 version.

A bit off topic, ones saw a demonstration, an Atari ST with Cubase, a Yamaha Dx7 and a drum computer.
The person made a drumloop, and we said it sounded very mechanical.
He then right clicked something in Cubase and suddenly it sounded like a life drummer. :shock:

I want that on Linux :)
How hard can it be if it already existed on an Atari ST? :P

Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

Gps wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 2:21 pm

A bit off topic, ones saw a demonstration, an Atari ST with Cubase, a Yamaha Dx7 and a drum computer.
He then right clicked something in Cubase and suddenly it sounded like a life drummer. :shock:

DrumGizmo has features to humanize timing and velocities. Is that what you want?

Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

Humanization shouldn't be relegated to a button-push, imo. Varying velocity is probably more immediately effective than varying the timing. Throw in an extra (soft) kick or hit now and then. And, it may help if you decrease the quantization unit to below 1/4th or 1/8th notes when creating a drum track:)

Way more satisfying to do such stuff yourself instead of relying on automated randomization.

tjarx
Established Member

Post by tjarx »

I'm thinking about switching from Reaper to Ardour. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to figure out if it is possible to change plugin presets using MIDI CC. I want to use my midi guitar pedal for live playing. Does anyone know if and how this is achievable in Ardour? Thank you!

Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

Michael Willis wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 2:46 pm

DrumGizmo has features to humanize timing and velocities. Is that what you want?

I am gonna try Drum Gizmo, and see if that is what I am looking for.

Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

Impostor wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:44 pm

Humanization shouldn't be relegated to a button-push, imo. Varying velocity is probably more immediately effective than varying the timing. Throw in an extra (soft) kick or hit now and then. And, it may help if you decrease the quantization unit to below 1/4th or 1/8th notes when creating a drum track:)

Way more satisfying to do such stuff yourself instead of relying on automated randomization.

I have been trying this in LMMS, maybe gave up to soon? I did notice that in albeton, were there is a swing dail, it does move certain midi notes.
It seems every other note moves, so 2,4,6 and so on.
I have not figured out what groove exactly does, but it must be something like this too.

While typing this, maybe I need to set LMMS to 1/192 and then play the rhythm on my midi keyboard.
I can hardly play, but that might be a advantage for this case. My sense of rhythm is pretty good.

Ones had a problem while attempting to cover a forest by the cure.
I failed hard to get a certain note in the right spot.
Then tried it by ear, and boom succes.

autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

tjarx wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 5:04 pm

I'm thinking about switching from Reaper to Ardour. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to figure out if it is possible to change plugin presets using MIDI CC. I want to use my midi guitar pedal for live playing. Does anyone know if and how this is achievable in Ardour? Thank you!

Ardour has MIDI learn but that's for plugin settings, not changing presets. Not sure if you can change presets via MIDI. I'll check, would be handy indeed if this was possible.

Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

tjarx wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 5:04 pm

There is an Ardour forum, but probably somebody here will know the answer.

I know almost nothing about Ardour, but in LMMS I would make two tracks.
One is recording the midi data the other one the changing of the guitar pedal.
So an automation track linked to your guitar pedal.

Hope this helps. :)

Kott
Established Member

Post by Kott »

Gps wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 1:39 pm
Gps wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 1:49 am

I noticed version 7 is in the openSUSE repositories though. Maybe I just need to wait for Ardour adding a different payment method. :)

I have Geekosdaw installed. At least that way I get LMMS with a fully working Carla.

then you could find ardour8 package here
anyway, ardour-8.0.0 is in the main repo now

Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

Kott wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 4:12 am
Gps wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 1:39 pm

then you could find ardour8 package here
anyway, ardour-8.0.0 is in the main repo now

Found it, installed it (made sure I picked the pro audio version), started it, and was able to add a midi track.
I am totally lost for now, I need to read the manual, and maybe watch some you tube vids. :)

First impression is positive, because I could not get this far last time I tried Ardour, many years ago.
I noticed there was an error, something I need to investigate.
Already saw stuff I kinda miss in LMMS. :)

Maybe Ardour will open the door for me working with an American, who can play live guitar.
That might need time stretching, but lets see If I can have him send me a guitar track first.
Then I will be adding drums.

To some extent I feel I am betraying LMMS, but I also feel, I am done waiting for certain stuff to be added to LMMS. :)