Rick's Beato's "52 year overnight success" video

Music trends, latest album reviews...whatever!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

glowrak guy
Established Member

Rick's Beato's "52 year overnight success" video

Post by glowrak guy »

https://youtu.be/W4SgqER14sk

This is an excellent story of never giving up on your dreams. A few site ads, so the story begins around 1 minute 30 seconds
Lasts just over 30 minutes.
Cheers

sunrat
Established Member

Re: Rick's Beato's "52 year overnight success" video

Post by sunrat »

Good story, good motivation. I like watching Rick Beato even when I don't completely understand what he's talking about.

Reminder to self - play guitar today. Was slack and didn't yesterday. :mrgreen:

glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

Almost all his music theory and ear training are averse to my limited skills, and learning such in the time left,
won't be happening, but I still keep the videos running, to catch the life lessons and, to quote The Beachboys,
the "good good good, good vibrations".
Cheers

merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

They're not bad videos. He's become a Youtuber, though, because his music is crap. :D I bought the digital Beato book when it was on offer, and the theory is fine --- there's a lot of ideas. The digital Beato book includes some of Rick's compositions to illustrate e.g. modes. They're not great. Loose meanderings, followed by fast passages of more notes than a stick can be shaken at.

It just shows you that having a great ear and a load of theory doesn't mean a person's music is any good. It reminds me of Steve Vai. Vai was good when Frank Zappa was telling him what to do. Similarly I think Beato is the kind of musician that needs told what to do. Technically great, musically hmmm.

Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

glowrak guy wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 6:12 am

Almost all his music theory and ear training are averse to my limited skills, and learning such in the time left,
won't be happening, but I still keep the videos running, to catch the life lessons and, to quote The Beachboys,
the "good good good, good vibrations".
Cheers

I doubt you need his books.
When I had just started people asked if i was tone deaf.

With some help from the LMMS forum, on how to use the scale tool, after about 6 month later, something went pop in my head.

I started to hear if something is in tune or not.

So just practice and refusing to give will get you there.

According to Rick you cant learn perfect pitch, you have it or you don't.
You can how ever learn relative pitch, which is good enough for making music. :)

merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

Perhaps I should clarify that I wouldn't generally recommend The Beato Book as a first theory book. The Beato Book assumes the reader already knows the basics of music theory. There is an element of a con in the way Beato presents the book. I like Beato's guitar lines. He'll play something interesting, then say "It's all in the book". It isn't. Not in the sense of 'string skipping guitar lines with different numbers of notes on diffferent strings'. It's not enough of a con for me to want to get my money back, which is possible, as there is a lot of more advanced theory in the book. But the book is not as it is presented on Beato's Youtube channel.