New song

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

spamatica
Established Member

Re: New song

Post by spamatica »

Basslint wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 5:37 am

That guitar tone is awesome! Typical "southern metal" riffer. :D

Amazing solo!

I'm getting more annoyed though about the mix balance, as others commented. We'll see, maybe I will try to remix.

MusE DAW
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi @spamatica

Nice to see something here from you, it's been too long!

Please weigh in my observations with the fact that you have posted some of the best mixes and songs here I've heard over the years.. I will also say I'm increasingly less and less of a 'rawk' fan as time goes on but in any case I find the guitar fuzz overwhelming too, I don't know if the genre is really about 'fuzz' as much as the classic scooped mid tone that tends to focus heavy riffs and let harmonized high leads sing clearly..(@Rainmak3r seems to excel at this)... I find the fuzz to be omnipresent and it clouds all of the guitars, you probably unwittingly kept turning up the guitar mix to make them clear but the issue is more their tone than the volume. If it were me I would probably have multiple low riff guitars and put that fuzz sound on one of them and blend it with the more classic metal sounds for some girth or maybe even just fuzz the bass..

I also find the snare to be kind of rounded and dull, it sounds like it might be a good snare for Indie rock but it's got its hands full trying to distinguish itself in the sea of fuzz, if you're using AD do you have other soundpacks to choose from?

To me it sounds like the great playing and ideas are there but they are getting a bit lost in the sound presentation, don't mean to sound negative, I try to give the kind of observations that I'd like to hear if the roles were reversed.

jeanette_c
Established Member

Post by jeanette_c »

Hi @spamatica , thanks for that song. It's a nice crossover of genres and sounds. The drums are a little quiet, they could sit more prominently in the mix and still not detract from the good guitar work. Ooh, I love that guitar sound!
As always great singing! You can carry a tune well and forcefully. Even with so many guitar you hold your own. Addictive drums are also a great addition to your sound. There's a reason why they are held in high asteem.
There are so many genres and influences melting together in this song and they work so seamlessly.
Always a pleasure!
Best wishes, jeanette

--
distro: ArchLinux, DAW: Nama, MIDI sequencer: Midish
All my latest music on https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMS4rf ... 7jhC1Jnv7g
Albums, patches and Csound on http://juliencoder.de
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

I enjoyed this a lot. However I'd have liked the vocal a bit louder - it tended to get somewhat buried.
On level setting. I always aim for a peak of -2dB That still gives you a dynamic range of well over 90dB and completely eliminates the risk of of overloading peaks generated by format conversions and/or player irregularities.

Good quality playback systems will (in simple terms) adjust the relative volume based on the average content.

The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
spamatica
Established Member

Post by spamatica »

Hi there!

Sorry I'm on a chaotic variable time delay... but here now at least..

GMaq wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:22 pm

Hi @spamatica

Nice to see something here from you, it's been too long!

Please weigh in my observations with the fact that you have posted some of the best mixes and songs here I've heard over the years..

Very kind of you!

GMaq wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:22 pm

...If it were me I would probably have multiple low riff guitars and put that fuzz sound on one of them and blend it with the more classic metal sounds for some girth or maybe even just fuzz the bass..

I also find the snare to be kind of rounded and dull, it sounds like it might be a good snare for Indie rock but it's got its hands full trying to distinguish itself in the sea of fuzz, if you're using AD do you have other soundpacks to choose from?

To me it sounds like the great playing and ideas are there but they are getting a bit lost in the sound presentation, don't mean to sound negative, I try to give the kind of observations that I'd like to hear if the roles were reversed.

You absolutely don't have to excuse giving either opinions or constructive criticism. As long as no one is throwing things at me I'm good :D

Though, I'm a bit torn regarding the guitars (hey I'm a guitarist, I want it loud!) ...I do like them downtuned and hard, but there may be limits....
I did actually re-record the guitars last week and tried to make the snare more aggressive (though with maybe too light a touch).

If I a/b I miss the brutality of the old guitars but for the mix I guess it is for the better. Or maybe they sound the same :D Oh well...
https://soundcloud.com/cdee/jernjazz-same-lame-game-v2

MusE DAW