Studio One - Linux version

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

sjzstudio
Established Member

Re: Studio One - Linux version

Post by sjzstudio »

The era of big studios is coming to an end, and the market with it. Now there are a large number of small players who cannot push money into the world without limits. That's why now might be Linux's moment.

Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

sjzstudio wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 10:31 am

Or something unwanted is coming to the world of Mac and Windows, which will push the operators of the Audio side in the direction of Linux.

Yeah, no surprise there. But what keeps amazing me is the amount of shit people willingly swallow that Microsoft shovels down their throats. And I don't see that changing soon.

alex stone
Established Member

Post by alex stone »

Impostor wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 1:23 pm
sjzstudio wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 10:31 am

Or something unwanted is coming to the world of Mac and Windows, which will push the operators of the Audio side in the direction of Linux.

Yeah, no surprise there. But what keeps amazing me is the amount of shit people willingly swallow that Microsoft shovels down their throats. And I don't see that changing soon.

It's the bean counters who will have influenced this. They must have seen a potential for future profit in the decision making process. We may not see it now, but they will likely have.

elcalen
Established Member

Post by elcalen »

Although, I think it is also true that software developers tend to be more linux-savvy than the average consumer, so it's not totally inconceivable that someone would support linux simply because they want to, or think they can... But I don't disagree that especially when it comes to larger companies, money almost always rules.

As for myself, I probably would have been curious to check this out if it wasn't for the Wayland requirement. Maybe some day, either if they also start supporting X or if Wayland develops to a point where it's actually useable on all systems... Overall, though, I think having more options on our platform is always better.

Artist name Ben Enkindle. Making electronic music exclusively with Linux software.
alex stone
Established Member

Post by alex stone »

elcalen wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:34 pm

Although, I think it is also true that software developers tend to be more linux-savvy than the average consumer, so it's not totally inconceivable that someone would support linux simply because they want to, or think they can... But I don't disagree that especially when it comes to larger companies, money almost always rules.

As for myself, I probably would have been curious to check this out if it wasn't for the Wayland requirement. Maybe some day, either if they also start supporting X or if Wayland develops to a point where it's actually useable on all systems... Overall, though, I think having more options on our platform is always better.

I've just tried the .deb, and it won't build because the libcairomm version on both my boxes is too old, although the linux mint install is up to date.

I shall leave it for now.....

Largos
Established Member

Post by Largos »

matyas
Established Member

Post by matyas »

I understand why they're requiring Wayland, but it is sort of a drag. I had been looking forward to trying this out, but it seems I can only use native Intel graphics with Wayland, and not my Nvidia graphics. I have no experience with Wayland whatsoever, so I may be wrong, but after enabling Wayland and starting a Wayland session, the graphics system defaults back to Intel Mesa. I'll investigate further, but this may have to wait until Nvidia cards get better Wayland support.

elcalen
Established Member

Post by elcalen »

matyas wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 1:52 am

I have no experience with Wayland whatsoever, so I may be wrong, but after enabling Wayland and starting a Wayland session, the graphics system defaults back to Intel Mesa. I'll investigate further, but this may have to wait until Nvidia cards get better Wayland support.

You can make it work with Nvidia cards if you have a relatively new version of the drivers, but it may require manual editing of config files, and even then it can still be glitchy. At least it has always been too glitchy for me when I've tested it...

Artist name Ben Enkindle. Making electronic music exclusively with Linux software.
oddy.o.lynx
Established Member

Post by oddy.o.lynx »

$549.99 CAD no thanks

elcalen
Established Member

Post by elcalen »

Well... 1. It's no worse than many other big commercial DAWs. (Comparable to the likes of Bitwig.) 2. The 'artist' edition or whatever it's called is considerably more affordable. 3. That being said, I would not spend any real money on this while it's this early in beta and likely still has many issues...

merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

It's bonkers to charge for a beta version. This means the Linux beta is open to 1) people who already use Studio One on Mac or Windows 2) Linux users who can try the 30 day demo.

The questions that interest me are -- "Why?" and "Why now?"

Is it a coincidence that another commercial interest (Audiotonix) now has a Linux DAW? Probably not. Businesses run a 'cost-benefit analysis' and this includes the costs of not doing something. Kind of hedging their bets in case Linux does pay off, and there is some probability of that as Bitwig, Reaper and Mixbus are already into it.

elcalen
Established Member

Post by elcalen »

merlyn wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 3:11 pm

It's bonkers to charge for a beta version. This means the Linux beta is open to 1) people who already use Studio One on Mac or Windows 2) Linux users who can try the 30 day demo.

I mean, I personally do not disagree with that in the least. I absolutely wouldn't sink any money into this until I was 100% sure it's for me, even if it did work on my system (which it won't, at least in its current state)... But on the other hand, expecting them to create a separate licensing model just for Linux users probably isn't really realistic either.

Let's remember, though, that this is an early beta and only just released. They obviously aren't targeting a mainstream audience with it at this stage. And all these things may change much in the future.

matyas
Established Member

Post by matyas »

merlyn wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 3:11 pm

I actually think people who already use Studio One on another platform are the target audience for this demo. It’s not infrequently that one sees a post on the forum of some commercial audio app that goes something like this: “I love this app, but I wish there were a Linux version. I only reboot into Mac/Windows for music and I do all my other computing on Linux.”
I don’t know how many of those folks there are on Studio One, but my guess is they’re the ones downloading this.

glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

Hardware purchases that include a Studio One license of some level, might also find some customers willing to test it.
If they can set up a functioning live dvd that can use Intel motherboard graphics, the potential testing pool will be larger
than just nVidia/Vulcan/Wayland. Presonus have ruffled a few feathers with their all-versions-in-one-archive strategerie,
rather than having a MUCH smaller archive for the free testing version, and the Lite version. Beancounters count beans.
Those paying $500+ for a daw, eat them :wink:

VennStone
Established Member

Post by VennStone »

It will be interesting to see what comes of this. Drivers for Presonus thunderbolt interfaces would be most welcome.