Studio One - Linux version

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

skei
Established Member

Studio One - Linux version

Post by skei »

oohh... interesting!
"Studio One 6.5 available as a public beta version for Ubuntu Linux"
https://www.presonus.com/en/studio-one-tech-specs.html

bluebell
Established Member

Re: Studio One - Linux version

Post by bluebell »

Requires Ubuntu 23.04 with Wayland session
Vulkan 1.1-compatible graphics driver

Yeah. As we all know, DAWs are 3D action games and need advanced graphical capabilities.

And even more important:

Internet connection (needed for installation, activation, and Cloud, Shop, and Exchange integration)

Maybe other requirements? Soul of my first son? Proof of a Presonus tattoo? A banjo?

At least it doesn't need an audio interface. Audio interfaces are overrated anyway.

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

Audiojunkie
Established Member

Post by Audiojunkie »

This is FANTASTIC news!!!!!!! Every time another big company supports Linux, it further legitimizes the platform!! As more and more people see these big companies jumping aboard and supporting the Linux platform, more and more developers will support it! I am SO happy to see this!!

tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

bluebell wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 2:59 pm

Requires Ubuntu 23.04 with Wayland session
Vulkan 1.1-compatible graphics driver

Yeah. As we all know, DAWs are 3D action games and need advanced graphical capabilities.

And even more important:

Internet connection (needed for installation, activation, and Cloud, Shop, and Exchange integration)

Maybe other requirements? Soul of my first son? Proof of a Presonus tattoo? A banjo?

At least it doesn't need an audio interface. Audio interfaces are overrated anyway.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: made my day dude

On the road again.
matyas
Established Member

Post by matyas »

I've never been interested in Studio One before, but this has my attention. Most importantly, I really hope this will show other DAW and plugin makers that Linux is a viable market.

Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

Subscription based though? That's the last thing anyone who is worried about the future-proofness of their projects would want, I would guess.

Edit: I think I misunderstood. It's Studio One Plus which is subscription based.

Largos
Established Member

Post by Largos »

Audiojunkie wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:10 pm

This is FANTASTIC news!!!!!!! Every time another big company supports Linux, it further legitimizes the platform!! As more and more people see these big companies jumping aboard and supporting the Linux platform, more and more developers will support it! I am SO happy to see this!!

Linux doesn't need legitimising. Studio one might need to be.

Audiojunkie
Established Member

Post by Audiojunkie »

Impostor wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:11 pm

Subscription based though? That's the last thing anyone who is worried about the future-proofness of their projects would want, I would guess.

Edit: I think I misunderstood. It's Studio One Plus which is subscription based.

I don't use subscriptions 'OR' Challenge Response copy protection. Studio One is definitely not something I'll use. But I do feel that every time a big company supports Linux, the Linux platform gets more and more "street cred" as a viable pro audio platform. I wouldn't have imaged even two years ago that I'd see PreSonus get on board with Linux! So, even if I don't use it (and don't plan to), I'm really excited to see Presonus adopting Linux support. I'm sure there will be plenty of other people who will not have any problems with the copy protection. I'm excited. :D

Audiojunkie
Established Member

Post by Audiojunkie »

Largos wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:26 pm
Audiojunkie wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:10 pm

Linux doesn't need legitimising. Studio one might need to be.

Hehehe!! For us Linux fans, there is no question of that. :)

However, to developers and businesses, it is a new market that they are dipping their proverbial toe into, to see if the water is warm or cold. I hope these businesses find Linux to be very welcoming and a successful market. :)

Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

matyas wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:09 pm

Linux is a viable market.

I sincerely doubt this. How many musicians/producers would there be who use Linux in a professional capacity? For amateurs such as me there's more than enough quality and variety to be found among extant linux DAWs already, free and commercial. Linux is a viable OS, but far from commercially interesting, especially in the Linux pro audio niche within a niche.

sjzstudio
Established Member

Post by sjzstudio »

I think that the biggest money for these companies comes from hobbyists and amateurs. There are more bedroom producers in the world than there are pro audio guys. And Linux is a nice alternative because it's a free platform, and then you can buy their products with the same money that would be wasted on license fees for Windows.

But there might also be a door for using opensource programs alongside. And through that to donate to development as well.

We'll see how it goes.

Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

Audiojunkie wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:40 pm

But I do feel that every time a big company supports Linux, the Linux platform gets more and more "street cred" as a viable pro audio platform.

That's what I thought with respect to gaming when Steam introduced first SteamOS, later the Steam Deck. I haven't seen an notable increase in Linux native games published by big studios in the last couple of years though. (but maybe proton's to blame for that)

And yes, Linux is a viable pro audio platform. Possibly more so than Windows. But we are where we are. History's to blame for that.

matyas
Established Member

Post by matyas »

Impostor wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:48 pm

I sincerely doubt this. How many musicians/producers would there be who use Linux in a professional capacity? For amateurs such as me there's more than enough quality and variety to be found among extant linux DAWs already, free and commercial. Linux is a viable OS, but far from commercially interesting, especially in the Linux pro audio niche within a niche.

A year or two ago, I would've agreed with you. But things are changing quickly in the Linux world. The complaints people have about Apple and Microsoft are old; I've been hearing some of them for over 20 years. But Linux usability has increased dramatically in the last few years. Case in point: last month, I bought a laptop with Linux pre-installed, all drivers configured and working beautifully, and I barely had to do any configuration to get it running well for pro audio usage. There was much less tweaking than there would have been on a stock Windows install. We're basically at a point where you can buy a user-friendly Linux box and start recording. We've got good native plugins and we're getting more and better ones every day. Class-compliant audio interfaces can achieve latency on Linux comparable to what proprietary drivers offer on other OSs. On the non-audio front, the need for mobile-centric software has reduced reliance on proprietary desktop OSs to the point where I can gleefully run MS Office 365 on a browser on my Linux machine, no virtual box or emulation required.

As far as commercial audio is concerned, it's complicated. People making Top 40 pop records and mixing post on Hollywood movies are going to keep using Pro Tools on Mac, because that what they've always used. Classical music recording engineers are probably going to stick with Pyramix or Sequoia (although I could see some of them adopting Linux if Pyramix were to be ported). Where I see an opening is for independent producers, small studios, video houses that need to do some audio (for reference, Da Vinci Resolve runs natively on Linux), academic electronic music composers and sound artists (many of whom are already Linux users), tech-savvy DJs, creative coders and web designers, etc.

This doesn't mean that I think everyone is going to switch to Linux tomorrow, just that I think a lot of the usability hurdles that kept people from doing so in the past have been cleared. I'll end by pointing out that Linux desktop market share is currently at about 3%. That doesn't sound like much, but it's higher than it's ever been, and it continues to grow, albeit slowly. And 3% is about what Apple's market share was in the 1990s.

Kott
Established Member

Post by Kott »

Anyone tried?

As I expected no VST/VST3 GUI plugins worked. I don't know that should work: embed a X11 window inside the Wayland window.

Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

Kott wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:11 pm

Anyone tried?

As I expected no VST/VST3 GUI plugins worked. I don't know that should work: embed a X11 window inside the Wayland window.

I couldn't even find the linux download..

But I also don't run Ubuntu or Wayland.