Orchestools Piano

Link to good samples/soundfonts at http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/free_audio_data

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

amc252
Established Member

Orchestools Piano

Post by amc252 »

Hello everybody,

I finally got around to try Orchestools piano.
What a pleasant surprise!
I dig the Salamander library (on which OT piano is based), but they got a fuller, sweeter, and more refined sound out of it.
The piano samples are just 661mb uncompressed and the VST plugin 24.8Mb.
I ran it with Carla and, while it uses more RAM than Liquidsfz+SFZ library, it's still very lightweight.

The OT piano sounded great out of the box, but I plan to tinker with the many options and controls.
I wonder if anyone here uses it and what's your feedback about it.

PS Thanks to oddy.o.lynx for suggesting this plugin.

bluebell
Established Member

Re: Orchestools Piano

Post by bluebell »

While I appreciate new Linux plugins, especially when they are Open Source, I prefer pure instrument plugins without builtin compressor and reverb. The unix way for tools is "do one thing and do it right". Packing too many features in a single piece of software is the Windows way.

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

Defining the 'unix way' will always be a bit self-contradictory, as long as freedom of choice is a reality.
It is good luck to welcome new developements on their merits. I suspect that in the small community
of linux musucians, having a couple of useful extras on an instrument as fundamental as the piano,
is much appreciated. What Windows/Mac/iOS/Android coders choose as methodology has little to do
with what works for linux based musicians, and we are better served by having both bare piano instruments,
as well as those with extras. It takes time to load and configure extra compression and reverb,
assuming one has the knowledge to do it well. Time is expensive, whether paid for in $$$
or by the minute of one's personal freedom. I would label the 'unix way' as 'all and more' :wink:
Cheers

Largos
Established Member

Post by Largos »

bluebell wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:43 am

While I appreciate new Linux plugins, especially when they are Open Source, I prefer pure instrument plugins without builtin compressor and reverb. The unix way for tools is "do one thing and do it right". Packing too many features in a single piece of software is the Windows way.

I don't think it's fair to call it a "windows way", hardware units have had built in fx for a long time and have nothing to do with the windows vs unix philosophy debate. Just a basic reverb makes something sound better than a dry signal and this matters to people if they are selling the sounds in some form. Also, a lot of users have use cases where they don't need or want to bother to get better FX in.

glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

A bypass button and wet/dry control are handy options, and make it easy to opt for external effects, no effects,
or various blends from other tracks and i/o ...Simple and versatile. Pretty common in plugins and daws these days.
Cheers

amc252
Established Member

Post by amc252 »

Orchestools piano sounds really well. To me, that's the only thing that really matters.
It scored better than other VSTs pianos in blind tests.
https://pianoclack.com/forum/d/1062-hel ... o-sound/22