Finding Yoshimi (musical) instruments.

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

D-Tuned
Established Member

Finding Yoshimi (musical) instruments.

Post by D-Tuned »

There are TWO issues involved. The first one is FINDING what I want; yesterday I was looking for cello and violin, didn't find them (I didn't thumb through all the 'collections' one by one either). The other one is identifying for future reference, this is something I do in rosegarden for example where I will include it in the name of a track such as 12 Lead1 y-45-5-Gt-dist5

12 the track #
y Yoshimi
45 the bank #
5 the instrument #
Gt the instrument
5 the sub indicator

There is also a bank drop-down which is handy, is there a verbose search function anywhere inside the code? For example what I would find very useful is 'guitar' in the search-box followed by a listing of all of them AS WELL as what CAN sound like a guitar such as picked bass and so called "plucked"instrument sounds.

TIA

Artificial-Stupidity will never be competitive
Largos
Established Member

Re: Finding Yoshimi (musical) instruments.

Post by Largos »

There is the search button which whilst not a search box, it has sorted the instruments into types. Although for some reason, the cello sound is in pipes when it should really be in solo strings. :D

folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

"hysterical raisins" :lol:
If you look in the comments box you'll see it is doubly derivative.
It was developed from Soft Flute, which itself was a modification of Flute 3 which had actually been classed as 'reed', while flute 4/5 were 'pipe'. I suppose i should have changed it to Solo Strings, but I'm not inclined to change it now as that might cause even more confusion.
P.S.
Thinking about it, I might have created this before we added Solo Strings to types.

The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Largos
Established Member

Post by Largos »

Of course, is there anything more confusing than not having a cello sound in the pipes section? :lol:

folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

Oh har-de-har.
Actually yes there is. It's having dozens of quite different sounds all in the same category - 'Undefined' :(
Many also either had a different internal name to their filename or no internal name at all.
As for copyright info... Nuff sed?

In the Great Reset (tm) of 2021 we did sort out as many of these as possible, but with a lot of them it was impossible to work out the intent of the original author - or even who that was.

P.S.
I'll correct 'Cello' in the next commit.

D-Tuned
Established Member

Post by D-Tuned »

Largos wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 11:06 pm

There is the search button which whilst not a search box, it has sorted the instruments into types. Although for some reason, the cello sound is in pipes when it should really be in solo strings. :D

Thanks, got it; actually there are two Cello entries there 005:115:96 and 010:115:96 (don't know If they're the same).

folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

They will be the same (but with a subtle difference).
One will be wherever it was installed to, and if it's a distro installation it won't be editable. Yoshimi however, always makes a copy in {youruser}.local.yoshimi. This is in an editable location.

D-Tuned
Established Member

Post by D-Tuned »

folderol wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 6:44 pm

They will be the same (but with a subtle difference).
One will be wherever it was installed to, and if it's a distro installation it won't be editable. Yoshimi however, always makes a copy in {youruser}.local.yoshimi. This is in an editable location.

hehe, in music I think subtle differences mean worlds of effect

I gotta get used to the way Yoshimi handles sounds. I looked at V-2.3.0.3 in Artix Linux and found in search, under pipe: 2 cellos, no violin; solo strings: 2 synth violin1's and one synth violin2. But then in Suse Leap (ALSO V-2.3.0.3) in search, pipe: no cello or vilolin; solo strings: 2 country fiddles. Wow, I need my coffee this morning :o

Nachei
Established Member

Post by Nachei »

An option I'd like to suggest would be using Zynfusion instead. It's a fork of Yoshimi I was forced to move to because Reaper poopooed on Yoshimi, it has the same sounds as Yoshimi, as far as I know, but also a very clear selector menu, with three columns with categories and subcategories, and a text field for searches. It's not perfect but I found it way easier to locate stuff and to switch from one preset to the next one... I don't know, though, how to keep a preset handy for future reference.

folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

I must jump in and correct this!
It is definitely not a fork of Yoshimi, it is a rebuild of Zyn 2.5.x

Also it's very much a matter of preference. You find Zynfusion suites you better. I find it completely unusable.
You will never hear me tell people which to use. The answer is (as always) try all options and use what works best for you.

Finally, I've no idea what instrument patches Zyn (in general) has these days, but I do know there are a considerable number that have been added to Yoshimi since the fork.

D-Tuned
Established Member

Post by D-Tuned »

Nachei wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:37 am

An option I'd like to suggest would be using Zynfusion instead. It's a fork of Yoshimi I was forced to move to because Reaper poopooed on Yoshimi, it has the same sounds as Yoshimi, as far as I know, but also a very clear selector menu, with three columns with categories and subcategories, and a text field for searches. It's not perfect but I found it way easier to locate stuff and to switch from one preset to the next one... I don't know, though, how to keep a preset handy for future reference.

Bookmarked. I think Yoshimi's main issue (as far as I'm involved up to now) is the sort that one gets used to, especially if like me the same instruments are used in most projects. The ideal (again from my perspective) is dssi because it's all there in the single rosegarden mixer.

folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

Something that is so often completely missed, is that you can easily create your own bank of favourites and either swap or copy instruments to it.
Copy is probably best. Load and instrument into any part, change to your 'special' bank and save it to one of the slots.

bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

folderol wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 5:48 pm

It is definitely not a fork of Yoshimi, it is a rebuild of Zyn 2.5.x

Also it's very much a matter of preference. You find Zynfusion suites you better. I find it completely unusable.
You will never hear me tell people which to use. The answer is (as always) try all options and use what works best for you.

I started with Zyn. But then the new Zynfusion was born and it was too complicated for me to understand it (Is it a new version? Is it a GUI? Will sounds/settings be backward compatible in my DAW projects?) and to build, so I tried Yoshimi and I am still using it.

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

Largos
Established Member

Post by Largos »

folderol wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 11:53 am

Oh har-de-har.
Actually yes there is. It's having dozens of quite different sounds all in the same category - 'Undefined' :(
Many also either had a different internal name to their filename or no internal name at all.
As for copyright info... Nuff sed?

In the Great Reset (tm) of 2021 we did sort out as many of these as possible, but with a lot of them it was impossible to work out the intent of the original author - or even who that was.

P.S.
I'll correct 'Cello' in the next commit.

Well, I put a definition on all the undefined ones I have. Download here (You don't need to sign up, just close the prompts to do so.)

folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

That's an impressive amount of work!
When did you do that? If it was after Yoshimi V 2.0 we should be able to do a straight merge.