HDMI audio vs Audio interface for gaming

Optimize your system for ultimate performance.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Death
Established Member

HDMI audio vs Audio interface for gaming

Post by Death »

I use an Audient ID4 going out to my monitors for all sound on my pc which works well. However, I was just playing around with software (qpwgraph) that allows me to route audio and realised that I could actually route the GPU-HDMI audio output through my audio interface.

This got me thinking - is there any advantage to doing this when gaming? I think there may be some kind of special game audio engine processing/FX (3D sound, for example) that can only be done by certain audio chips and so maybe I could benefit from that if I used the GPU-HDMI to process the sound before it goes through the audio interface to the monitors.

Anyone tried this or got any thoughts?

Cheers.

glowrak guy
Established Member

Re: HDMI audio vs Audio interface for gaming

Post by glowrak guy »

You could record some game intro music in audacity or timemachine, using both audio sources,
import and compare the waveforms visually in audacity, and also compare the sound in some good headphones
Earbuds are trickier to get precise results, as they move about, and are inserted without measurement.
I've done that to compare a hardware usb output vs it's line/headphone output.
Cheers

Death
Established Member

Re: HDMI audio vs Audio interface for gaming

Post by Death »

glowrak guy wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 7:11 pm

You could record some game intro music in audacity or timemachine, using both audio sources,
import and compare the waveforms visually in audacity, and also compare the sound in some good headphones
Earbuds are trickier to get precise results, as they move about, and are inserted without measurement.
I've done that to compare a hardware usb output vs it's line/headphone output.
Cheers

Well I wouldn't expect any difference with music. I was thinking more the game sound effects. I know that back in the day there were PC soundcards that had special chips in them that could do certain effects which onboard soundcards could not do. Onboard soundcards are a lot better than they used to be though so it probably doesn't make much difference anymore as far as that's concerned. I suppose maybe all of the effects are just done via software now as our computers are powerful enough to do that without a significant performance impact.