Flash sale of Tracktion F'em synth

Subforum for advertisements. Anything that might be interesting to the LinuxMusicians community is fair game here: hardware or software, Free or proprietary, go wild!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

AlbertoZ
Established Member

Flash sale of Tracktion F'em synth

Post by AlbertoZ »

For those of you that are interested, there is a flash sale of Tracktion F'em synth for 49$ (discount code FEM49) on the Tracktion site.
It will last until today, July​ 16​th
Alberto

tavasti
Established Member

Re: Flash sale of Tracktion F'em synth

Post by tavasti »

artix_linux_user wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:15 am

We could talk about FM maybe the most boring sound synthesis.
At least we got it since the eighties and yeah, it has some nice bellish rhodes sounds.

Maybe so if you are talking about DX7-like FM, where all you have is sine waves. In case of F'em, there is much more. 8 osc which can do other wave forms, two samples nad noise. FM between freely between all of them, and self modulation. In fact it is powerfull synth even without use of fm :-)

And yes, the modulation matrix and the concept of fm is amazing.
There are many great free native linux foss plugins around and the question that comes up is:
is 49 Euro really a good price?
Is it so much better then the foss FM alternatives?
So, that was the on topic part - now the offtopic partials:
There is this image on the tracktion webpage that should make the F'em synth getting sold even better:

Well, I do not know what you are seeing but I am seeing a hooligan trying to start the fire.
Yeah, that might be funny for some teenagers and yeah it fits the Zeitgeist but for me its clear now: No mackie!

From opensouce synths, ZynAddSubFX and Yoshimi are ones that are on same page on what can be done with them. However, making such complex fm configs with them needs good memory or writing down what you have done this far, and in F'em you can see in matrix what are connections.

Is the price good, for some people it is cheap, some people not. Depends on your budget and will to pay.

That mackie-part, did not understood that, some inside joke?

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

Kott
Established Member

Post by Kott »

... the question that comes up is:

Download the full-feature free trial and tell us.

AlbertoZ
Established Member

Post by AlbertoZ »

Hi artix_linux_user,

Well, we could talk now about Mackie in general, but thats again too far stretched.

I didn't know about the fact that Tracktion is owned by Mackie (does it really matter here?)

We could talk about FM maybe the most boring sound synthesis.
At least we got it since the eighties and yeah, it has some nice bellish rhodes sounds.
And yes, the modulation matrix and the concept of fm is amazing.

Yep.. I agree

There are many great free native linux foss plugins around and the question that comes up is:

I know more or less all of them. Each one has it's pro's and cons. I really like and use dexed, and I love its capability of loading DX7 sysex, that's a huge pro.. :D, but here there is a different concept.

That depends on many factors. In my case I wouldn't buy it at full price.

There is a demo, I tried it and I liked it, simple as that :-). As said above, the number of operators is quite large and there are several samples / noise to use as C or M. The FM algorithm is not "locked" like in dexed, and as in OXE synth it is fully configurable. Moreover, being natively built for Linux is also a good selling point.

Alberto

ForrestH
Established Member

Post by ForrestH »

[pedantry style="gratuitous"]Mackie sold Tracktion back to its original dev 10 years ago.[/pedantry]