[SOLVED] PulseAudio JACK Sink No Longer Works With Firefox or Spotify

Still new to all of this? Feel free to post in any of the subforums on this site, but in this subforum newbie questions are especially encouraged!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Sylnox
Established Member

[SOLVED] PulseAudio JACK Sink No Longer Works With Firefox or Spotify

Post by Sylnox »

Hey All,

I'm new here and relatively new to Linux audio. I am on Linux Mint 21.1 with the Ubuntu Studio performance tweaks installed. For music production I use Bitwig 5 with JACK because there are other JACK apps that I sometimes want to sync with Bitwig such as SynthesizerV and Renoise. When I initially set everything up, I had QJackCtl set up to route PulseAudio output to JACK when the JACK server started like so:

Screenshot from 2023-07-05 17-46-19.png
Screenshot from 2023-07-05 17-46-19.png (31.91 KiB) Viewed 2702 times

This was working great and I was able to watch videos in Firefox and play music with Spotify while JACK was running. Unfortunately a few weeks ago Firefox stopped playing audio with JACK running. If I'm watching a YouTube video, it just stops playing as soon as JACK is started. Spotify stopped working a week or two after that (it gives me the "Can't play current song" message). I haven't done anything in that time except install system updates, update Bitwig, and install WINE programs. I can still get audio when testing via Cinnamon's audio app, and it correctly lists the JACK sink as the current playback device as seen below. It's just that the apps themselves won't play with JACK running.

Screenshot from 2023-07-05 17-56-09.png
Screenshot from 2023-07-05 17-56-09.png (73.78 KiB) Viewed 2702 times

Does anybody know how to fix this, or failing that, how to troubleshoot it? I really want to be able to watch tutorial videos without stopping Bitwig's audio engine, but I'm am at a loss as to why it would suddenly stop working for me.

I guess one other thing maybe worth showing is my JACK graph, which appears to be set up correctly as far as I can tell:

Screenshot from 2023-07-05 18-01-28.png
Screenshot from 2023-07-05 18-01-28.png (61.24 KiB) Viewed 2702 times

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by Sylnox on Fri Jul 21, 2023 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Impostor
Established Member

Re: PulseAudio JACK Sink No Longer Works With Firefox or Spotify

Post by Impostor »

Does, say, Audacious (with audio output to Alsa or Pulse) still produce sound when you run Jack? Or is it only the browser and/or Wine apps which don't work? Have you enabled dbus/jackdbus in qjackctl? Have you tried deleting the contents of ~/.config/pulse and rebooting?

Sylnox
Established Member

Re: PulseAudio JACK Sink No Longer Works With Firefox or Spotify

Post by Sylnox »

Impostor wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:41 am

Does, say, Audacious (with audio output to Alsa or Pulse) still produce sound when you run Jack? Or is it only the browser and/or Wine apps which don't work? Have you enabled dbus/jackdbus in qjackctl? Have you tried deleting the contents of ~/.config/pulse and rebooting?

I tried Audacious and it will play through PulseAudio with JACK running. It's only FF and Spotify (both native packages) which don't seem to work. I am starting jackdbus with qjackctl. Here are my settings in qjackctl:

EDIT: Deleting the pulse config did it. Thanks so much!

Screenshot from 2023-07-21 17-25-06.png
Screenshot from 2023-07-21 17-25-06.png (64.5 KiB) Viewed 2547 times
j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Re: [SOLVED] PulseAudio JACK Sink No Longer Works With Firefox or Spotify

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

Just out of curiosity, what does it say if you type the following command in a terminal window?

Code: Select all

systemctl is-enabled pipewire

Author of BackupBand at https://sourceforge.net/projects/backupband/files/
My fans show their support by mentioning my name in their signature.