Programs w/ equal A+V capabilities

Beyond just audio!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

AlkuK
Established Member

Programs w/ equal A+V capabilities

Post by AlkuK »

I'm somewhat of an audio veteran, and even the need to branch out into visuals has revealed a glaring omission in the multimedia field. Mainly: programs that are equally adept at handling both audio and video. I realize this can be a niche in the world of fragmentation, yet I believe the proposed setup will become more commonplace as artists grow and become more independent. Yes, I'm sure Ardour's xjadeo feature is a nice start, but not really what I'm looking for. Reaper, too. And it's grand that Audacity supports so many video codecs that I can open virtually any video file to edit the audio, but A plus V...

Any pointers? The tools and the dependencies for this are already in place, yet who's willing to put in the work? Adobe Audition could probably work this out in a jiffy, but FOSS is always for the long-run, :D , peace.

tavasti
Established Member

Re: Programs w/ equal A+V capabilities

Post by tavasti »

If we would talk about equal A+V features, and talking about DAWs. So you are asking program where you can create music and video from scratch. Meaning something like blender and ardour combined. I would say pretty steep learning curve...

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

bhilmers
Established Member

Post by bhilmers »

AlkuK wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 9:52 am

...programs that are equally adept at handling both audio and video.

Sony Vegas

"Originally developed as audio editing software, it became an NLE for video and audio, starting from version 2.0."

Many, many years ago I did all my audio and video work in Vega 4 and I was never left wanting more. No MIDI though.

Alternatively, Shotcut keeps adding more and more audio functions and as a DAW it's better than Audacity (everything is). No MIDI though.

AlkuK
Established Member

Post by AlkuK »

tavasti wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 10:52 am

If we would talk about equal A+V features, and talking about DAWs. So you are asking program where you can create music and video from scratch. Meaning something like blender and ardour combined. I would say pretty steep learning curve...

Samaa mieltä. I'm not too comfortable with Blender yet, but that exact combination has come up for me, too.

To prevent sluggishness and overloads an interesting 3-part model for the program could be: 50/50, 0/100, 100/0 — meaning 100% A or V mode and a hybrid 50/50 mode with basic features for both audio and video. Could be at least worth a fork or three... :D , peace

Last edited by AlkuK on Sat Jul 01, 2023 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlkuK
Established Member

Post by AlkuK »

bhilmers wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 6:30 pm
AlkuK wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 9:52 am

...programs that are equally adept at handling both audio and video.

Sony Vegas

Thanks for the insight, bhilmers. Not really looking for Windows (nor Mac) stuff, though, thanks.

I truly would appreciate any furthering lights on the subject, too.

matyas
Established Member

Post by matyas »

Haven't used it myself, but I've heard good things about DaVinci Resolve, and there's a native Linux version.