When is enough, enough..?

Completely and utterly unrelated.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Re: When is enough, enough..?

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

merlyn wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 11:31 am

It's already possible to do <single-instance. with ALSA.

No shit again, Inspector Clouseau. I describe MMAP mode in my post.

If you're going to repeat almost verbatim my own statements back to me, you should give proper attribution.

Do you really think that the sheer stupidity of repeating what I said, as if it constitues a rebuttal, is going to work? You've seen enough of my posts to know that,when it comes to trolling, I could keep up with the best of them. (Hint: That last paragraph of my long post is pure troll. I just think that yet another linux sound server in 2023 has reached the point of Monty Python level absurdity. But me poking fun at it doesn't negate my detailed criticisms and comments about them).

I know that you're trying to troll me. You're employing a technique I call "parroting your opponent". Here's how it works. You take some statement almost verbatim out of youjr victim's post, and direct it back at him presented as a rebuttal. He reads this and thinks:

Wait a minute. That's exactly what I just said! And he thinks it's a rebuttal to me! That must mean he thinks I'm saying the exact opposite of what I just said. I need to clear this up so people aren't misled into thinking I said the opposite..

He replies, explaining his point again, And you just ignore his reiteration, take one of his comments verbatim again and offer it up as another supposed rebuttal. (ie, you've now done that twice. And I'm sure you intended to do it a third time, fourth time, etc, if I hadn't let you know that I see through your inept trolling).

That trolling technique is designed to ramp up your victim's frustration level as he struggles again and again to make his point clear, until the futilily and absurdity of replying to his own statements finally breaks him down. Your performance of this technique was rudimentary and without an iota of wit or creativity. I'm not impressed. And not surprised. You're dull.

And you're outgunned. Your best move now would be to ignore me. But don't do that. That will deprive me of fun and laughs, and I'm all for fun and laughs. I eagerly await more of your idiocy.

Besides, you're english and I'm american. Everyone knows that the english always do whatever the americans tell them to do. If I told you to go dig up queen elizabeth's grave, and give her corpse a wedgie, you'd be out there with a shovel right now.

I promise to go easy on you (at first) because I realize you're an outmatched novice. For example, I'll alert you that the above is an obvious troll, and you should ignore it. It doesn't represent my true feelings about the british, althouigh certainly there is an element of truth to it. For too many years, the british have been manipulated and used by america to do the dirty work that the american oligarchy wants done, but wants to maintain "plausible deniability". It's about time you british grew a backbone and stopped playing Butler Jeeves to your american puppet masters. WWII was long ago. You're not stiil indebtted to us.

nah, I'm just trolling you again. Your turn.

Author of BackupBand at https://sourceforge.net/projects/backupband/files/
My fans show their support by mentioning my name in their signature.

merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

ad hominem means you're on the back foot. But leaving aside spiraling self-reflexivity and getting back to the content -- what evidence do you have that the idea in Paul Davis's mind was a general purpose sound server? Colouring the text red doesn't make it true.

j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

nooooooooooo...

Bluebell, you knew you weren't supposed to take that seriously, right?

Wait a minute. You're from germany? Nevermind.

P.S. Sorry about your pipeline. I swear I had nothing to do with it. I have an alibi. At the time, I was at home masturbating. And I have witnesses, My neighbor is a peeping tom.

Hold on. The CIA just texted me. They say "Tell him Norway did it.".

j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

Loki,

Take a look at merlyn's tagline (at the bottom of his post), and then look at mine. I've had it set like this for almost 2 months, and he still hasn't noticed. Man, this guy is slow.

Loki Harfagr
Established Member

Post by Loki Harfagr »

j_e_f_f_g wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 1:39 am

Loki,

Take a look at merlyn's tagline (at the bottom of his post), and then look at mine. I've had it set like this for almost 2 months, and he still hasn't noticed. Man, this guy is slow.

Oh well I noone to play the witness in preschool rumbles and that's quite OT but since it's not usually quite an embarrassment around here let's roll ;)
I've always noticed he were your best and most faithful fan which is the reason why I was surprised that he seemed to have overread a bit too fast tangentally your post about jack 1 2 and 2.987999875… hence I posted that reminder to read it again properly.
That's a pity someone whose posts about music theory are mostly sound and fine work and some of the posts about some tech are quite alright has sometimes or towards some folks posts a sudden trigeminal neuralgia causing a waste of plenty of good words and letters.

Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

tseaver wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 4:32 pm

I want to noodle with keyboard sounds, using a MIDI-driven app (Pianoteq) which e.g. records those noodles for later review / playback. Later, I'd like to be able to record the best of those noodles using my DAW, but I don't want to work in the DAW while noodling. With JACK, I can just wire up the DAW to record the playback from that app; with ALSA, I'm SOL.

Pianoteq creates midi files in ~/.local/share/Modartt/Archive. Instead of recording Pianoteq's audio you could just import the relevant midi file into your DAW. Then you can easily adjust stuff if necessary.

Largos
Established Member

Post by Largos »

I did a 4 month code review of ALSA, and then a 2 month code review of Jack1.

That time would have been better spent learning how to make a decent GUI....

merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

jeff's posts are Linux audio's equivalent of fake news. I think it's wise to condemn the deed, not the doer. It's possible a newbie could get completely the wrong idea from jeff's beef with JACK. Awww, boo-feckin'-hoo, jeff's auto-accompaniment app doesn't play nicely with JACK. Get over it.

As a philosopher said : Logical reasoning from a faulty premise leads to an approximation of insanity. I would suggest jeff's posts are based on faulty premises, some of which may or may not be related to jeff's unhealthy familiarity with Windows and the monolithic paradigm.

j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

largos wrote:

learn how to make a decent GUI

I'll just quote a previous post (viewtopic.php?p=155524#p155524) I wrote about largos:

It's difficult to detect bots now that AI has become so widespread. Even the most simplistic of AI will seem more lifelike than Largos when he's reposting his "BackupBand looks ugly" retort for the 1000th time. I mean, even I've made snarkier comments about my own app. A little creativity from him would be welcome.

merlyn wrote:

Awww, boo-feckin'-hoo

Look, I told you if you're going to whisper terms of endearment into my ear, I prefer you say "my big bull-stud boo".

jeff's app doesn't play nicely with JACK.

jeff's app can be set to use JACK for playback.

An "ad hominem" reaction is one that is "directed against a person rather than the position they are maintaining". Because merlyn's above statement is:

1) About my personal work.
2) A factually false statement about that work.

One must logically conclude that this is an ad hominem attack. By merlyn's own admission, he is now "on his back foot".

I'm not surprised that he's on top of his foot. I just wonder how he got the damn thing up his own ass.

Code: Select all

a philosopher said : [i]Logical reasoning from a faulty premise leads to an approximation of insanity.[/i]

I see that you're still quoting other people without identifying the specific source. Of course, merlyn is quoting his most favored logical influence, the great thinker Scary Spice.

I would suggest jeff's posts are based on faulty premises

I would suggest merlyn's post is based on a night of heavy drinking in order to fool himself into believing he has the slightest chance to "land a punch" with his appallingly inept trolling.

These are amateur trolls. Step up your game, boys. I'm already getting bored by you.

khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

Please stick to the topic of the initial thread and do not destroy it.
If it is important to you, create a new thread and link where the idea came from.
No meta-discussions if the initial thread did not explicitly ask for it.

Be respectful to each other. 

Please no religious wars because everyone has different requirements (computer hardware/software music -direction -requirements -...).
@j_e_f_f_g please also take this to heart.

Thanks to all.

. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.