MIDI 2.0 Driver Support Coming With Linux 6.5

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

Audiojunkie
Established Member

Post by Audiojunkie »

Here is more MIDI 2.0 info. It looks like it is going to make it into the 6.5 kernel release. :)

https://www.phoronix.com/news/MIDI-2.0- ... -Linux-6.5

Written by Michael Larabel in Multimedia on 5 June 2023 at 06:28 AM EDT. Add A Comment
MULTIMEDIALast month Linux's sound subsystem maintainer Takashi Iwai published a set of Linux driver patches for MIDI 2.0 support for the USB Audio and Raw MIDI drivers. That roughly six thousand lines of new code for the MIDI 2.0 driver coverage is now expected to be mainlined with the upcoming Linux 6.5 cycle.

With the MIDI 2.0 support having been worked on by Takashi himself, it was a quick review process and shortly thereafter these patches have already been queued up into his sound.git for-next branch ahead of the Linux 6.5 merge window opening up around the end of the month.
MIDI 2.0 Linux support

MIDI 2.0 is a major overhaul to the original MIDI protocol that is widely-used by musical devices.MIDI 2.0 allows for higher resolution, better articulation, the Universal MIDI Packet (UMP) for packaging up multiple MIDI messages for easier transport, less jitter, and various other new features and improvements.
MIDI 2.0 Linux documentation

This documentation commit that is part of the patch series provides more detailed technical information on the MIDI 2.0 support for the Linux kernel.

All the MIDI 2.0 kernel patches around the raw MIDI driver and USB audio driver code is now set to premiere in Linux 6.5 when it releases later this summer.

GraysonPeddie
Established Member

Re: MIDI 2.0 Driver Support Coming With Linux 6.5

Post by GraysonPeddie »

That made me wonder if developers of ZynAddSubFX, Yoshimi,and MuSE Sequencer will have support for MIDI 2.0 once Linux kernel 6.5 releases. How exciting.

--Grayson Peddie

Music Interest: New Age w/ a mix of modern smooth jazz, light techno/trance & downtempo -- something Epcot Future World/Tomorrowland-flavored.
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

GraysonPeddie wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 7:13 pm

That made me wonder if developers of ZynAddSubFX, Yoshimi,and MuSE Sequencer will have support for MIDI 2.0 once Linux kernel 6.5 releases. How exciting.

We've had an initial look at this for Yoshimi.
However, it is a huge amount of work, so don't hold your breath :shock:

Also, keep in mind that jack MIDI will also need to be updated - no idea of any implications for LV2.

The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
GraysonPeddie
Established Member

Post by GraysonPeddie »

Thanks. I won't hold my breath on it, now that Linux 6.5 is released to the public with support for MIDI 2.0. And probably Pipewire might need to support MIDI 2.0 as well.

Would be nice, though. I would love to have expressive control over the filters, especially when it comes to using a band-pass filter to sweep from 20Hz to 10,000 Hz or anywhere in between. That is something that I tried to do when I wrote my song back around 2016. Values from 0 to 127 is not a lot. With MIDI 2.0, this would be a lot smoother.

https://soundcloud.com/grayson-peddie/car-free-village

In the meantime, if I want smoother filter sweeps, I would have to do that using Ardour instead after I bounce the MIDI track into an audio track and put a Calf filter plugin in it.

--Grayson Peddie

Music Interest: New Age w/ a mix of modern smooth jazz, light techno/trance & downtempo -- something Epcot Future World/Tomorrowland-flavored.
bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

GraysonPeddie wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:17 am

Would be nice, though. I would love to have expressive control over the filters, especially when it comes to using a band-pass filter to sweep from 20Hz to 10,000 Hz or anywhere in between. That is something that I tried to do when I wrote my song back around 2016. Values from 0 to 127 is not a lot. With MIDI 2.0, this would be a lot smoother.

But there is a 14 bit resolution with MSB and LSB in MIDI v1, e.g. NRPN. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NRPN

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

I would add that Yoshimi can MIDI-learn NRPNs so many controls can at least get 14 bit resolution :)

The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
GraysonPeddie
Established Member

Post by GraysonPeddie »

I never thought about using NRPNs. I wonder if I can do that with MuSE Sequencer.

--Grayson Peddie