Penguin Win Situations

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

bulevardi
Established Member

Penguin Win Situations

Post by bulevardi »

Hi folks 🐧

So a new song is out there!
While I'm still waiting for a new guitar that I ordered a long time ago, I thought to spent my time learning new synths... (I'm still a n00b in that field).

I first planned to make a song using the übercool LMMS only, but quickly switched to Reaper DAW (what else...) running on Linux.
I had a computer crash, tech and other problems and finally I didn't create the kind of song as I planned (as usual).
Near the end I couldn't resist to add a line with my old guitar, the urge was too big.
I hope you like the different parts of it. Find the whole song via your fav streaming platform & feel free to share it and add it to your playlist!

FYI, this time I used the free open source, cross-platform Odin2 synth from The Wave Warden and of course Hive from U-He (that goes without saying...)
Guitar FX are also fully open source with Mod Duo from Mod Devices

Links:
Spotify
SoundCloud
BandCamp
Apple
YouTube

Instagram, BandCamp, SoundCloud, Spotify, iTunes,....
Get In Touch^^
Impostor
Established Member

Re: Penguin Win Situations

Post by Impostor »

bulevardi wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 8:31 am

Hi folks 🐧

I hate the handclap. Do there exist good sounding synthetic handclaps at all? Apart from that: sounds pretty good for a self-declared synth n00b!

psyocean
Established Member

Post by psyocean »

Music so good, you master of sounds, high level, bravo!
But gamblingis a really danger thing. In the cinemas it's showed as beautiful luxery time pass, but people are put on a hook from which they cannot jump off and they are squeezed out like a lemon and thrown out.

Guitar and synth tales... https://www.youtube.com/user/Psyocean/
Nachei
Established Member

Post by Nachei »

It sounds very cool. I sometimes use Odin 2 too, it's a very good synth, sounds good and, also very important for me, it has very good instruments, I like being able to just choose and not messing around too much with sound design...

I like a lot the drop in tempo that starts ~ minute 3. You do that with automation, right, just lowering the tempo? What came first, did you have the music first and then had the idea of slowing it down progressively, or you felt like writing a song with a drop in tempo and built the music around that idea?

Funny, when I saw the title of the song, I thought it would have to do with this "situation" we Linux users have, using Linux but being forced to have a Win key. I bought a laptop that came with Linux preinstalled, and even it has that damn logo. I think we should take Linux pride and make an effort to at least call that key "Tux key"... :)

bulevardi
Established Member

Post by bulevardi »

Nachei wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 11:39 pm

I like a lot the drop in tempo that starts ~ minute 3. You do that with automation, right, just lowering the tempo? What came first, did you have the music first and then had the idea of slowing it down progressively, or you felt like writing a song with a drop in tempo and built the music around that idea?

I used Reaper and set a marker on 2 specific places where it needs a specific tempo.
And Reaper then automatically changes the tempo over time.
What came first? I was imrpovising with the synth to make the music, I didn't have the music first.
But when I had a couple of minutes of music, I thought the mood at the end needed to be slower, and then it felt better to slide the guitar in from there.

Nachei wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 11:39 pm

Funny, when I saw the title of the song, I thought it would have to do with this "situation" we Linux users have, using Linux but being forced to have a Win key. I bought a laptop that came with Linux preinstalled, and even it has that damn logo. I think we should take Linux pride and make an effort to at least call that key "Tux key"... :)

My computer wasn't linux installed, but I did immediately after I bought it.
Sadly I have not tux key on my keyboard :(

But I think it's a good idea to spread the awareness that producers are able to create decent music without expensive equipment, without expensive software, without windows, ...
There's lots of free open source stuff available for creatives like us.
I once made a Linux Music playlist on Spotify and SoundCloud to play artists that create with Linux, with the idea that these artists or other people would stream it regularly, so it gets higher in the algorithm and the word Linux would spread faster and faster... but it's not happening yet ;)

Get In Touch^^
Nachei
Established Member

Post by Nachei »

Creating that Linux music playlist is a good idea. I'm curious, could you direct me to it? (To the Soundcloud one, my religion forbids me to use Spotify :P )

bulevardi
Established Member

Post by bulevardi »

Nachei wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:24 pm

Creating that Linux music playlist is a good idea. I'm curious, could you direct me to it? (To the Soundcloud one, my religion forbids me to use Spotify :P )

Here's the current Soundcloud one:
https://soundcloud.com/bulevardi/sets/l ... s-playlist

Here's a thread about it:
viewtopic.php?t=21737&hilit=playlists

Feel free to bump that thread and let me know if I can add a song from you ;)
I think it needs an update by now!

Get In Touch^^
Nachei
Established Member

Post by Nachei »

Thank you, I just added my contribution...

I can see that your songs are by far the ones with the biggest number of listens, congratulations :D

Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

Feels like the soundtrack for a sci-fi exploration RPG game, me likey!