Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

sysrqer
Established Member

Re: AI revolution now!

Post by sysrqer »

artix_linux_user wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 12:25 pm

Dont get fooled by idiots.

What do you mean?

Alpaca has been tuned with more than 50,000 text samples to make it more information-accurate

I don't think it's going to be competing with chatgpt or bard with such a small training, that's a drop in the ocean compared to the bigger models.

sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

What does that have to do with AI?

Loki Harfagr
Established Member

Post by Loki Harfagr »

sysrqer wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 6:13 pm

most prolly AI stands here for \Accidental Injuries\

sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

Wow...

Nachei
Established Member

Post by Nachei »

I don't understand the drift this thread has taken, but I do would like to understand a bit more what AI is.

I watched a demo of ChatGPT, and all it seemed to me was an interface that pretty-prints Internet results better than a search engine, making them look more "conversational", but in the end it's just the good 'ole rows and columns.

As this doesn't really count as "intelligence" (it doesn't really create anything new, it doesn't generate new knowledge out of pre-existing elements), I assumed it was just a rebranding of what a few years ago was called "machine learning"; from time to time someone shakes a new concept around to give everybody a lot of uuhs and aahs about "the future that is coming", I remember they did that when Internet first appeared too, and it was going to make all humans obsolete and eat our babies.

Then I've tried listening to some AI generated music, and watched some AI generated art, and found them absolutely insipid (how could they be otherwise, as a machine cannot replicate human emotion), so this added to my impression that "AI" is just the fad of the day.

Am I wrong or missing something? In which way could this stuff be "revolutionary"? To me it all sounds like one more spin of the same usual crap. Before this it was the Internet of Things, The Cloud, Industry 2.0., whatever the hip word en vogue, then nothing or very little comes out of it, and the word gets replaced by the next one in a few months...

d.healey
Established Member

Post by d.healey »

Nachei wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 9:45 am

I don't understand the drift this thread has taken, but I do would like to understand a bit more what AI is.

I watched a demo of ChatGPT, and all it seemed to me was an interface that pretty-prints Internet results better than a search engine, making them look more "conversational", but in the end it's just the good 'ole rows and columns.

ChatGPT doesn't search the internet. It's output is generated in real time and will vary even for the same input. It's training data came from the internet but so did most of mine :)

Nachei wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 9:45 am

(it doesn't really create anything new, it doesn't generate new knowledge out of pre-existing elements

Knowledge and intelligence are not equivalent. You can know nothing and be intelligent and you can know a lot and have low intelligence. But of course the A in AI is the important word here, it is not the same as real intelligence and is more of an illusion. Still it's a very useful tool. I've been using it a lot lately to save me time writing bash scripts.

David Healey
YouTube - Free HISE scripting and sample library dev tutorials
Libre Wave - Freedom respecting instruments and effects.
Nachei
Established Member

Post by Nachei »

Thank you for the explanations. I'm slightly less confused now. Still not convinced that this stuff is much more than a rebranding of already existing stuff, but I guess it'll be as simple as waiting a few months and see.

AlkuK
Established Member

Post by AlkuK »

sysrqer wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 6:13 pm

Isn't AI pretty much the lazy egoist's dream come true? A person with brainfreeze (or brainmelt) could externalize their stupid ideations, so that AI would take the brunt of the brain damage involved in thinking stupid thoughts :lol:

I'm friendly towards AI myself, although as a bryaniac, the term "demonic army of fools" comes to mind looking at the nowheres regular people are sending these monkey-ish machine brains :wink:

AlkuK
Established Member

Post by AlkuK »

artix_linux_user wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 7:49 pm

The Unexpected Truth About Google and OpenAI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URvja3IyMDo

free opensource ai is at 90% of the performance of chatgpt4 - thats what the video is saying and that we stupid users wont notice the difference of the last 10%.
We developers will notice the difference: its free, its opensource, it integrates perfectly into linux because linux is so open. being open is maybe the most important thing in life - open to new people, new ideas, new technologies.(Yeah we have to be open, otherwise we wont save the world)

Well said. However, is a baby "stupid"? The operative logic behind greedy corporations is never anything pure. One could even say that overcharging people is stupid. I wish the hype around AI would die down.