guitarix.vst

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

tramp
Established Member

Re: guitarix.vst

Post by tramp »

womp. those parameter forwarding to the host is a mess, look how it looks:
https://i.imgur.com/DCqkwIy.mp4

do you think you'll search there for a parameter you like to control? :?:

On the road again.
Audiojunkie
Established Member

Post by Audiojunkie »

tramp wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 3:22 pm
bulevardi wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 1:59 pm

What's the plan for the future? Is it the goal to create the same looks as the original version in the end?

Nope. I really love the looks of the original version, but, it wouldn't suite the needs of a plugin in my opinion. The new look suits that request much better I think.

Are there much other changes planned in the coming months?

I'm currently working on forwarding all parameters to the host in order to allow automation and MIDI control. In the main application we do MIDI learn to allow easy control without need your hands, that isn't possible with the vst3 format (Meh, to bad design decision).
However, when forwarding the parameters to the host, the host could forwarding MIDI messages to the plugin and we are back on track.
So that would be the most changing plans for the next time.

aybe some '<<' or '>>' to toggle between the presets could be handy, or able to switch between with keys up/down, so you won't have to click the menu anymore, could be very userfriendly.

Well, that would be part of the parameter forwarding.

Perhaps I'll make an Instagram post about Guitarix some day soon, to promote it on socials (or Tweets/FB/..).
Maybe it could attract much more users to share ideas? Or maybe I'll wait for it if there are still lots of changes coming and will promote it afterwards.

That would be very welcome. As more Ideas shared, as better I could make it. (And indeed, maybe that would lead to more changes which may happen otherwise later) :)

Automation and MIDI control sound awesome!!! Being able to switch patches and such from a midi controlled foot pedal sounds great! :)

Audiojunkie
Established Member

Post by Audiojunkie »

tramp wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 5:29 pm

womp. those parameter forwarding to the host is a mess, look how it looks:
https://i.imgur.com/DCqkwIy.mp4

do you think you'll search there for a parameter you like to control? :?:

The link didn't resolve to an image on my side. :(

tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

Audiojunkie wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 5:55 pm

The link didn't resolve to an image on my side. :(

Be happy, it didn't look nice.

I gone a new direction for MIDI learn now. The vst3 specs been really disappointing for a developer who would implement MIDI learn. So, a plug relay on the mercy of the host. Reaper does that very well I found out.

This menu is provided by Reaper and allow to select a controller like you could do in the generic UI. That include MIDI learn in Reapers case.

Still some steps to be done, but come closer with this.

On the road again.
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

On the road again.
Kirtai
Established Member

Post by Kirtai »

Just wondering, but will the stereo support be backported to standalone Guitarix?

tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

So I've pushed the basics to allow MIDI learn to the repository. It allow now to get a context menu, provided by the host, on a right click on a controller in the UI. From there you could select MIDI learn to connect the controller. That works great under Reaper, but not under Ardour nor Carla. They both simply didn't support this context menu thingy. There you must use the internal UI to connect a controller via MIDI learn.
Missing is still the option to connect the preset selector, that will come next.

Kirtai wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 11:16 am

Just wondering, but will the stereo support be backported to standalone Guitarix?

That isn't on my to do list.

On the road again.
bulevardi
Established Member

Post by bulevardi »

It seems that in the VST version, some things are missing, like when I push the "LV2" button, nothing is mentioned in the drop down.
Also, in the right pane, when you choose 'Reverb: Convolver', you can load a file for type of amp or band you like... These are also missing.

I noticed it, because on my other pc I installed the normal Guitarix standalone version, and there it seems these files are elsewhere installed:
../lib/lv2/
../usr/share/gx-head/

These are just two things I noticed by accident, perhaps there are still other folders that are not in this VST version in comparison to the original one?
Or did I do something wrong myself?

Instagram, BandCamp, SoundCloud, Spotify, iTunes,....
Get In Touch^^
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

That sounds strange. For the IR files it should look like this:

The button above is for load a IR file from somewhere on your system, the button bellow is to load one of the guitarix own IR files.

To make the guitarix own IR files available in the VST version, you must install the complete bundle, means, when build yourself, just run "make install" after build ( no root required). That will copy over the complete bundle to ~/vst3
When use the prebuild binary, unpack that and then copy "Guitarix.vst3" over to ~/vst3

This is how the LV2 button should work. Do other hosts have any difficulty to load LV2 plugs on your system?

On the road again.
bulevardi
Established Member

Post by bulevardi »

tramp wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 11:39 am

To make the guitarix own IR files available in the VST version, you must install the complete bundle, means, when build yourself, just run "make install" after build ( no root required). That will copy over the complete bundle to ~/vst3
When use the prebuild binary, unpack that and then copy "Guitarix.vst3" over to ~/vst3

Well I have 2 pc's, one with internet and another new one without (in another room).

On the pc with internet I installed the complete bundle. I also downloaded and unpacked the VST in that vst folder.

The pc without internet is a freshly installed computer which I'll only use to record. No experiments with tons of plugins, updates and external things like internet that could distract me or notify me for updates or so. I only add stuff to it that work. I currently only have 2 VST's or plugins there (Hive and Odin as synths for my midi keyboard). It's a minimal setup :)
For guitar effects I used an external Mod Duo pedalboard emulator, which runs with plugins that Guitarix also uses.
But it records with FX directly, while the VST has the benefit that it's non-destructive and I can do a dry recording and change the FX afterwards.

tramp wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 11:39 am

Do other hosts have any difficulty to load LV2 plugs on your system?

No difficulties to open the LV2's in my DAW. However, they work on my computer with internet.
I think I haven't installed or added LV2 plugins before to that new computer (will have to check).
I'll copy the folder manually.

Get In Touch^^
bulevardi
Established Member

Post by bulevardi »

Oh my mistake. The IR files were indeed already included in the VST version.

But the LV2 files were missing. Copied them :wink:

Get In Touch^^
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

bulevardi wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 2:07 pm

The IR files were indeed already included in the VST version.

Nice to hear that. as this is relative new, there may be some rough edges which didn't work as expected. So it's always good to hear that the stuff work. :)

bulevardi wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 2:07 pm

But the LV2 files were missing. Copied them

Yes, the vst bundle didn't come with any included LV2 plugs. It just use what it found. (Still, it didn't need any, but could make use of them if they are available)

In the news today, I've pushed the possibility to select a preset within the host internal UI. That allow to connect it to automation, or, to MIDI learn.
In MIDI learn, there is a real annoying limitation in the vst3 specs. That means, you can't use MIDI LSB/MSB messages to select a preset, and, the preset selection via a MIDI controller depends on the resolution of the host internal controller. That means, in MIDI you've a value range from 0 - 127. That must be translated to the range of presets available. That leads to increase the controller by 1, didn't mean that you load the next preset, depending on how many Presets you've, it may do nothing, or, switch over 4 presets. Only works reliably when you've exactly 128 presets. :roll:
That is a limitation in the vst3 specs I've learned hardly.

On the road again.
bulevardi
Established Member

Post by bulevardi »

tramp wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 3:22 pm

That would be very welcome. As more Ideas shared, as better I could make it. (And indeed, maybe that would lead to more changes which may happen otherwise later) :)

Here's a new Instagram reel about Guitarix!
Feel free to share it on IG, Twitter, FB,...😊😊

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cr_EBBdq ... IwNjQ2YQ==

Get In Touch^^
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

@bulevardi What a nice Video, (and nice Guitar playing) many thanks for that promotion. :D

Kirtai wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 11:16 am

While, as I said, I not plan to port this feature back to standalone Guitarix, there is, un-documented, the option to build the new vst version as stand-alone app. That, could run then, as usual for juce applications, directly to alsa or pipewire, or pulse or jack, or . . . with the stereo option implemented.
To do so, just run

Code: Select all

make Standalone

on the guitarix.vst source. You'll find the stand-alone then under guitarix.vst/Builds/LinuxMakefile/build as "Guitarix", you could run it directly from there or copy it over to were ever you want.

On the road again.