Is Linuxsampler deprecated?

Link to good samples/soundfonts at http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/free_audio_data

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

tavasti
Established Member

Re: Is Linuxsampler deprecated?

Post by tavasti »

asbak wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:37 pm

And another, more complete list. Happy hunting

You have all those? How big disk you have? :-o

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

asbak
Established Member

Post by asbak »

Ahhhh tavasti =)

I have a huge disk but unfortunately there is one catch. I don't have every one of those titles. Yet. :mrgreen:

tavasti wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:55 am

And another, more complete list. Happy hunting
You have all those? How big disk you have? :-o

Some Focal / 20.04 audio packages and resources https://midistudio.groups.io/g/linuxaudio
asbak
Established Member

Post by asbak »

Firewire hardware is kind of deprecated but much of it will live on for years to still be useful. It's not dead yet. Once you get it working well (not trivial due to the lack of solid & dependable & up to date & organized information) you have a cheapish good audio system.

On the other hand I did get stuck in the paradox where I had to spend a lot of time and money to get to the point where I kind of understood which parts worked well for a cheap and good firewire system. :mrgreen:

Different hardware = different results and with firewire you're on your own without vendor support.

Gig files aren't encrypted so they can be extracted and repackaged to another format but I don't know of any good automated solutions which can do this. If anybody knows of a reliable method that could be helpful for owners of existing gig libraries if they wanted to "future proof".

j_e_f_f_g wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:42 am

Gig files. Firewire. These are two things that clearly are deprecated. If you're not already using them, don't start. If you are using them, think about an exit strategy since every additional day makes it more likely you'll be faced with an ultimatum on their continued use.

Some Focal / 20.04 audio packages and resources https://midistudio.groups.io/g/linuxaudio
barbouze
Established Member

Post by barbouze »

asbak wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:23 pm

Gig files aren't encrypted so they can be extracted and repackaged to another format but I don't know of any good automated solutions which can do this. If anybody knows of a reliable method that could be helpful for owners of existing gig libraries if they wanted to "future proof".

Thinking about it, that would be a perfect task for prompt based AI code generation. Like "Here are the specs of SFZ and GigaFont formats, write me a converter in Python to go from one to the other". Maybe a few hours of tweaking, probably more to get every corner case.

Audiojunkie
Established Member

Post by Audiojunkie »

When I was on Windows, I had and used the Chickensys translator product. It converted my gig instruments to SFZ flawlessly. I’ve never bothered trying it on wine because I stopped using anything that wasn’t sfz. But I know that there are quality converters around. I may have to go search for it and experiment someday when I have time.

tseaver
Established Member

Post by tseaver »

@barbouze

Thinking about it, that would be a perfect task for prompt based AI code generation. Like "Here are the specs of SFZ and GigaFont formats, write me a converter in Python to go from one to the other". Maybe a few hours of tweaking, probably more to get every corner case.

Not in this decade. No LLM-trained model can infer the deltas in semantics between two encoding specs written without regard to machine readability; getting even "reasonably close" to what a moderately-competent human programmer would write is ludicrous.

Semantics trump syntax, every time.

Ubuntu, Mixbus32C; acoustic blues / country / jazz
Kirtai
Established Member

Post by Kirtai »

Maybe gig conversion could be added to ConvertWithMoss?
It already supports converting many formats.