NSM, desktop key

Programming applications for making music on Linux.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

grammo
Established Member

NSM, desktop key

Post by grammo »

Forgive me my ignorance, but I don't really see why two keys are needed here.

https://github.com/jackaudio/new-sessio ... /issues/96

Having two keys for just NSM seems to be overkill, moreover, you get these situation where devs implement one key, but should implement two keys in that particular situation. Speaking for myself, I've no time nor energy for issue reports that will follow. You'll be surprised how many extra issues one extra key can cause... :o

Maybe a more neutral person can look at it, maybe someone who has experience with Desktop files / distro development.

"So applications scanning the desktop files need to make sure to read the value and it be "true".
https://github.com/jackaudio/new-sessio ... -933008535

If this is about the NSM key (and not about the NoDisplay=true), I don't see why a post-install can change value to false, but can't remove the key or set the key empty.

Then one key will do for all imo:

X-NSM-Exec=loop192
X-NSM-Exec=drumkv1_jack
X-NSM-Exec=zynaddsubfx -I jack -O jack

At least it would help me to make a informed decision on whether I would support this proposal or not, as I'm in favor of using a NSM desktop key for sure. If two keys are really needed, I guess we've to live with it, but I'm just not convinced atm.

edit: desktop-file-validate doesn't report an error; the nsm client list tool could check for key X-NSM-Exec and if it's empty or not. This seems to work. A post-install step could be to remove the key or set the key to a empty string I would say.

Adding NSM as category, could be useful for distros like Ubuntu Studio probably. For Jack there is X-Jack, so assuming such X is needed here as well, X-NSM might be a option

Categories=Audio;AudioVideo;Midi;X-Alsa;X-Jack;X-NSM;