Neural Amp Modeler LV2 plugin

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

finotti
Established Member

Re: Neural Amp Modeler LV2 plugin

Post by finotti »

The thing about these "captures" is that they captures a single setting of the amp (or whole signal chain), whichever was set at the time of the capture. So, there is no real "gain" or EQ that would mimic the real amp. You might as well use your favorite EQ plugin after the it (or before, but it will likely be more subtle) and some pedal emulation before it to increase the gain. To decrease, you can try to lower the input volume, but that is not ideal, as it is more like turning the volume down on your guitar.

So, I don't really have a problem with no controls, as it gives you what it is really supposed to... It works great as is, and with a pedal and EQ you can get some flexibility from a single capture.

Just my 2 cents.

Rodney
Established Member

Post by Rodney »

finotti wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:23 am

The thing about these "captures" is that they captures a single setting of the amp (or whole signal chain), whichever was set at the time of the capture. So, there is no real "gain" or EQ that would mimic the real amp. You might as well use your favorite EQ plugin after the it (or before, but it will likely be more subtle) and some pedal emulation before it to increase the gain. To decrease, you can try to lower the input volume, but that is not ideal, as it is more like turning the volume down on your guitar.

So, I don't really have a problem with no controls, as it gives you what it is really supposed to... It works great as is, and with a pedal and EQ you can get some flexibility from a single capture.

Just my 2 cents.

Totally correct, that´s why I prefer modeling. I use guitarix and I am very happy with it. The results are incredible :D

jasonstone20
Established Member

Post by jasonstone20 »

Will NAM work with Guitarix?

tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

jasonstone20 wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 4:57 pm

Currently not. I'll need to implement some LV2 features to allow that.

On the road again.
Audiojunkie
Established Member

Post by Audiojunkie »

tramp wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 5:36 pm
jasonstone20 wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 4:57 pm

Currently not. I'll need to implement some LV2 features to allow that.

Ooooh!! That sounds very cool!!!

jasonstone20
Established Member

Post by jasonstone20 »

Well, I can wait until it comes out on Guitarix. Congratulations btw on making such an ground breaking awesome program, as well as making it open source also, that is just amazing. I do have Ardour installed, so I can use it from there, come to think of it.

jasonstone20
Established Member

Post by jasonstone20 »

Well I got this working with carla, works really well!

jasonstone20
Established Member

Post by jasonstone20 »

Should you use an IR in a Convolver for a speaker or cabinet along with the NAM of an amp or will it sound bad?

ladron
Established Member

Post by ladron »

jasonstone20 wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 8:26 am

Should you use an IR in a Convolver for a speaker or cabinet along with the NAM of an amp or will it sound bad?

It depends if the NAM model includes the cabinet or not. If it is just an amp model, you need to use an IR. If it is a full rig (amp+cab) model, you should not use an IR.

jasonstone20
Established Member

Post by jasonstone20 »

Awesome, thanks! I am trying to avoid the wool blanket over the amp sound. I have had that before by layering to many cabinets, amp sims, and IRs.

hmollercl
Established Member

Post by hmollercl »

I know that the idea is try to maintain it simple, but I was thinking that for live situation (using carla for example) it would be nice to have a set of captures (3 or 4) to simulate the different channels in an amp (clean, rhythm, lead for example) and the ability to change between them with MIDI. And to my ears it doesn't appear to be a significance audio gap in the change.

The other option would be to use multiple instances of the plugin and change between them with some sort of a/b box or path switch, but it would be more cpu intense and I didn't found a plugin for switching.

Maybe there are better option, someone knows one?

ladron
Established Member

Post by ladron »

hmollercl wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 1:25 pm

I know that the idea is try to maintain it simple, but I was thinking that for live situation (using carla for example) it would be nice to have a set of captures (3 or 4) to simulate the different channels in an amp

The problem with features like this is that everyone wants different ones and has different ideas about exactly how they should operate. If you start going down this path, pretty soon you find yourself developing a DAW instead of a plugin.

hmollercl wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 1:25 pm

The other option would be to use multiple instances of the plugin and change between them with some sort of a/b box or path switch, but it would be more cpu intense and I didn't found a plugin for switching.

This is the path I would suggest. The CPU overhead of the plugin instance is minimal compared to the model processing itself, so multiple plugins don't really add much overhead over multiple models in a single plugin.

hmollercl
Established Member

Post by hmollercl »

Thanks for the answer @ladron, do you know a plugin for this switching/change path? I haven't found one.

ladron
Established Member

Post by ladron »

hmollercl wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 11:14 am

Thanks for the answer @ladron, do you know a plugin for this switching/change path? I haven't found one.

I think it is more likely to be found as a feature in the plugin host - particularly hosts designed for playing live, like Element:

https://kushview.net/element/

hmollercl
Established Member

Post by hmollercl »

I haven't been able to make element work with jack and element does not support atom:path (needed for nam). However, I found a mod switchbox2 that does what I need https://github.com/moddevices/mod-utilities I found it late so I also coded one myself https://github.com/hmollercl/channelSwitch but the one from mod has more complex math so I assume it is better. Both In carla work ok.