[Eleanor Forte] Tenaba - Rest and Wait (2023)

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Tenaba
Established Member

[Eleanor Forte] Tenaba - Rest and Wait (2023)

Post by Tenaba »

Hey everyone, I've completely remade one of my older songs. It's called Rest and Wait, and it's the first song I did with Synthesizer V.

The software's come a long way, so I've been meaning to do this for quite a while.

The lyric video is here on Youtube: https://youtu.be/3qFsMF0_nEY
You can also listen on Bandcamp: https://tenaba.bandcamp.com/album/rest-and-wait-2

If you'd like to view the original, you can find it here: https://youtu.be/WBMR_oTqW-4
This was done with the Lite voicebank from a long while ago. Pretty interesting to hear how different the voices sound.

I also re-discovered Surge XT. Can't believe I didn't give it a proper chance at first, it's great. Very configurable, but super lightweight according to REAPER's performance monitor. I can see why you use it in all your songs @oscillator!

Software:
REAPER
Synthesizer V
Surge XT
Vitalium
Linux Studio Plugins
x42 plugins
Geonkick
Kdenlive
Krita

I make music as Tenaba! Bandcamp

Impostor
Established Member

Re: [Eleanor Forte] Tenaba - Rest and Wait (2023)

Post by Impostor »

Nice, but the original already was!

oscillator
Established Member

Post by oscillator »

Is that kick Geonkick? I like it!

All in all, this is a very good song!

As I run MusE DAW I can't use VST3 which is the only version of Surge XT (maybe also CLAP). So I only run Surge 1.7.1. But still I haven't used all the capabilities. I am glad you like it!

Thanks for sharing! I have also been thinking about remixing some old Dreamplane songs (the precursor to Dreams of Seagulls), to fatten them up a bit. Some day....

MusE DAW running on Debian 11 Testing/XFCE4.
https://oscillator.se/musik

Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

oscillator wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:47 pm

As I run MusE DAW I can't use VST3 which is the only version of Surge XT (maybe also CLAP). So I only run Surge 1.7.1. But still I haven't used all the capabilities. I am glad you like it!

Surge XT 1.1.2:
https://surge-synthesizer.github.io/downloads
Linux 64-bit (Standalone, CLAP, LV2, VST3 - .deb built on Ubuntu 18.04, LV2 with JUCE 6 community branch)

I had Surge XT uninstalled just a couple of weeks ago since I never use it, to remove some home folder clutter, but I did have it working in MusE, I think...

Edit: yeah, the lv2 runs in MusE. Definitely not lightweight on my pc though: just opening the GUI increases CPU load from 5% to 45%!

oscillator
Established Member

Post by oscillator »

Thank you @Impostor, I'll try out the lv2!

MusE DAW running on Debian 11 Testing/XFCE4.
https://oscillator.se/musik

onefang
Established Member

Post by onefang »

I'm using the KXstudio version (1.7.1) of Surge with MusE on my Devuan Linux (Debian without systemd) system. I created a sub bass and use some of the many many built ins that came with it.

Hard to say what the CPU load is, I have a 4 GHz, 64 core Threadripper, so CPU usage of most things is not even visible.

I prefer to be known as a figment of the 'nets imagination, living in the future, waiting for the rest of you to catch up.
Notes from Untalenz, an untalented old muso https://Untalenz.rocks/

Tenaba
Established Member

Post by Tenaba »

Impostor wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:15 pm

Nice, but the original already was!

Thanks, glad to hear you like the original as well!

oscillator wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:47 pm

Is that kick Geonkick? I like it!

All in all, this is a very good song!

Thanks for sharing! I have also been thinking about remixing some old Dreamplane songs (the precursor to Dreams of Seagulls), to fatten them up a bit. Some day....

Yes, the kick and all other percussion is done with Geonkick.

I used the CLAP version of the Surge XT, and found it to take less CPU usage than the LV2 equivalent. You might want to give that a try if it's available on MusE.

I think you should try those remixes! This one was a lot of fun to do. I think a lot of my older songs could be mixed much better.

jeanette_c
Established Member

Post by jeanette_c »

Hi @Tenaba , Iit's funny, I didn't have to find the old version on Youtube, I had it saved on disk. The comparison alone is fun. I much prefer your new production over all. Seeing that the original version was on hand should tell you how much I enjoyed that. The new vocals sound even more natural, but also more up front.
It was and is a good song! Thanks for returning to it!

--
distro: ArchLinux, DAW: Nama, MIDI sequencer: Midish
All my latest music on https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMS4rf ... 7jhC1Jnv7g
Albums, patches and Csound on http://juliencoder.de
Tenaba
Established Member

Post by Tenaba »

jeanette_c wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:08 am

Hi @Tenaba , Iit's funny, I didn't have to find the old version on Youtube, I had it saved on disk. The comparison alone is fun. I much prefer your new production over all. Seeing that the original version was on hand should tell you how much I enjoyed that. The new vocals sound even more natural, but also more up front.
It was and is a good song! Thanks for returning to it!

Thanks for listening again! Yes, I've been enjoying with the new Synth V releases, they sound a lot better to me. Glad the production also sounds better.

Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

Nice re-arrangement! Compared to the previous version maybe the vocals are a bit too upfront, but that's very likely a matter of personal taste (and I'm known not to have great taste! :mrgreen: )

I've tinkered with Surge myself a few times, but never too much, maybe because in the past it tended to very often crash when used as a plugin in Ardour, at least in my setup: from time to time I always try to explore it more, as there are some great sounds in there indeed, as your song confirms!

Tenaba
Established Member

Post by Tenaba »

Rainmak3r wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:46 am

Nice re-arrangement! Compared to the previous version maybe the vocals are a bit too upfront, but that's very likely a matter of personal taste (and I'm known not to have great taste! :mrgreen: )

I've tinkered with Surge myself a few times, but never too much, maybe because in the past it tended to very often crash when used as a plugin in Ardour, at least in my setup: from time to time I always try to explore it more, as there are some great sounds in there indeed, as your song confirms!

Thanks for listening. Yes, I also feel the vocals are a little louder than before. Most of the synths for this song were done with Vitalium, although I replaced a few with Surge as I started using it. Both a fun to use in my opinion.

Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

I am not a huge fan of synth voices but I like very much how you use it. And I like your songwriting, arrangement and composition. :D

The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!