Salutations and Introductions

Why not tell us a little bit about yourself? Welcome to the community!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

nonsequitarian
Established Member

Salutations and Introductions

Post by nonsequitarian »

Hi there,

I've been lurking for a bit, I suppose I should take the plunge and say hello. My name is Rob, and I'm a middle-aged dude living in Oakland, California. Linux has been my primary OS for most of the last 25 years. I've been noodling around with guitars for a few years longer than that, but don't let that big number fool you... I've never taken any lessons or even practiced with much discipline, so I'm only an intermediate player, at best.

Just over 2 years ago, in the early days of the pandemic, I started learning how to record and mix. The bad news is that even though I never considered myself very good, listening to recordings of myself caused me to realize I was worse than I thought! The good news is that it's inspired me to get better; I've probably improved more in the last couple of years than in all the years prior. Still not very strong, technically, but I'm finally feeling like I've moved from noodling to actually playing.

My standard set of tools include Ardour, Guitarix, DrumGizmo, and a wide assortment of plugins, both libre and proprietary. I use native Linux tools for the most part, but I also use yabridge and a bunch of Windows plugins.

Basslint
Established Member

Re: Salutations and Introductions

Post by Basslint »

Oakland is so cool, as is the fact that you've been using GNU/Linux for so long. Welcome! :D

The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

Hey Rob, welcome aboard. Even if you think it doesn't sound good, I would like to hear some of your music.

tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

nonsequitarian wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:34 am

I never considered myself very good, listening to recordings of myself caused me to realize I was worse than I thought!

This part sounds somehow very familiar, just like I had said those words myself!

Welcome on board!

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

tseaver
Established Member

Post by tseaver »

Welcome! Fun (again, after the Ardour site) to run across somebody I know from the F/LOSS development communit{y,ies}.

As you note for yourself: the brutal discipline of listening to my own output has indeed impelled me to work harder / focus more clearly. I definitely hear improvements, and so try to encourage myself, but the savage editor in my own head needs to be pummeled into submission frequently.

Ubuntu, Mixbus32C; acoustic blues / country / jazz
nonsequitarian
Established Member

Post by nonsequitarian »

Michael Willis wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:45 pm

Hey Rob, welcome aboard. Even if you think it doesn't sound good, I would like to hear some of your music.

Oh, I'm reasonably happy with what I've been able to do... I'm an amateur, for sure, but I'm getting there, it was just a bit of a rude awakening.

Anyway, you can find the stuff that's good enough to share at https://soundcloud.com/nonsequitarian. And I've got a new piece in the works that'll be going up soon.