Error during the installation of Native Access (Ubuntu 22.04)

Discuss running non-Linux applications and plugins on Linux, for example via wine

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Piano-player25
Established Member

Error during the installation of Native Access (Ubuntu 22.04)

Post by Piano-player25 »

Hello ! I'm new to this forum.

I recently got into orchestral music producing around a month ago, and I've been trying several (free) software, libraries, etc. to make high-quality music without having to spend money for now (I'm 16 years old so any online payment is kind of difficult to do without PayPal account or whatever, plus I don't want to invest 500 € into a HQ orchestral library before being sure it'll work fine on my computer and satisfy me as well). Now I'm not really new to music in general, I've been learning piano with a teacher for over a year now, and I started composing with Musescore 3 around that time as well.

So, back to my problem. I was trying to install Native Access (in order to get Kontakt Player) with wine, but it seems like it's missing a library called "Windows.UI.ViewManagement.UISettings". I have wine 6.0.3 (installed through apt) and wine tools, in their 64-bits version. But there's actually a lot more stuff happening when I try to install Native Access, so I've recorded it and made a video (EDIT : now private).

I have no idea what causes this problem. I installed the Spitfire Audio app through wine and it works just fine, I can even run the BBCSO Discover with Carla and LinVst (which both use wine if I'm not mistaken), so I'm pretty unsure about what I'm missing here. I've also made a research about the error message I was getting but I found nothing really helpful.

So please, if anyone could help me with that, it would be super nice. :)

EDIT : As of now the problem has been solved. Everything runs fine with wine.

Last edited by Piano-player25 on Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:46 am, edited 3 times in total.
Kott
Established Member

Re: Error during the installation of Native Access (Ubuntu 22.04)

Post by Kott »

Hi,

I don't know if it works for Wine 6.0.3 (it's old), take a look at https://github.com/robbert-vdh/yabridge ... -and-fixes you need a Native Access legacy installer.

Piano-player25
Established Member

Post by Piano-player25 »

Thanks a lot for your answer. I managed to install Native Access and Kontakt Player, and the latter runs just fine using Carla.

However, I encountered a second problem while trying to install ProjectSAM's "The Free Orchestra" library. Now I'm not sure if this should go to a separate thread or not, please don't get mad at me if I'm posting this in the wrong place...

The library just won't install itself. First I tried using the serial number I was given in Native Access, but when I try to actually install it it just says that :

Capture d’écran du 2022-12-19 16-17-52.png
Capture d’écran du 2022-12-19 16-17-52.png (248.82 KiB) Viewed 4341 times

So I tried the second method, which required me to download a .iso file. I opened it and ran the .exe setup file with wine. After clicking "Next" a few times it shows me this error :

Capture d’écran du 2022-12-19 16-19-39.png
Capture d’écran du 2022-12-19 16-19-39.png (134.87 KiB) Viewed 4341 times

Whenever I click OK, it just opens the same window again, and if I click Cancel ("Annuler" here because it's in French, I've got no idea why) it just closes and stop the installation.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here. Maybe the library just isn't compatible with Linux at all, but I think it's more likely something super simple that I'm missing. If anyone has any idea of what it could be, please let me know.

Kott
Established Member

Post by Kott »

Did you follow this part?:

Some plugins or sound libraries will install as expected, but if you get an 'Error while mounting disk image' installation failure, then you will need to install the plugin or sound library manually. You will find a .iso file in your downloads directory that you can mount and then run the installer from. However some of those Native Instruments .iso files contain hidden files, and the installer on the .iso file will fail to install unless you mount the .iso file with the correct mounting options to unhide those files. To do this, first run udisksctl loop-setup -f ~/Downloads/<filename>.iso to load the .iso file, and then use udisksctl mount -t udf -o unhide -b /dev/loopX where /dev/loopX corresponds to the loop device printed by the loop-setup command to mount the .iso file to a directory in /run/media.

If you're using an older distro and you're getting a Mount option 'unhide' is not allowed error when trying to mount the file, then you may need to manually create or edit /etc/udisks2/mount_options.conf first, adding the following to the file:

Code: Select all

[defaults]
udf_allow=uid=$UID,gid=$GID,iocharset,utf8,umask,mode,dmode,unhide,undelete
Piano-player25
Established Member

Post by Piano-player25 »

Ha no, I didn't, I should've paid more attention.
udisksctl didn't work for me, here's what happened :

$ udisksctl loop-setup -f TheFreeOrchestra_v2_0_0.iso
Mapped file TheFreeOrchestra_v2_0_0.iso as /dev/loop28.
$ udisksctl mount -t udf -o unhide -b /dev/loop28
Error mounting /dev/loop28: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.UDisks2.Error.AlreadyMounted: Device /dev/loop28 is already mounted at `/media/[username]/The Free Orchestra'.

I suppose this is happenning because something else (Nautilus maybe ?) automatically mounts the device. When I first ran these lines as root (I thought you had to be root to mount a device, but apparently with udisksctl you can do it as a normal user) it worked, but of course I couldn't access or execute the files myself.

So instead I did this :

$ sudo su
# mkdir /media/[username]/tfo
# mount ./TheFreeOrchestra_v2_0_0.iso /media/[username]/tfo -o unhide,nosuid,nodev,relatime

I'm not sure if all of the nosuid, etc. options are needed but these are the ones that come automatically when mounting the image through Nautilus, and looking at the manual entry for mount they seemed pretty important so I just put them in case.
And it worked ! Here's a screenshot of the library running in Waveform :

C_Capture d’écran du 2022-12-20 09-22-56.jpeg
C_Capture d’écran du 2022-12-20 09-22-56.jpeg (232.25 KiB) Viewed 4289 times

Anyway, thanks again for your help. :D

lostplaceballast
Established Member

Post by lostplaceballast »

I'm having the same exact issue with a different library, however, once I run

mount ./TheFreeOrchestra_v2_0_0.iso /media/[username]/tfo -o unhide,nosuid,nodev,relatime

I get this error:

mount: /media/<user>/tfo: special device ./<filename>.iso does not exist.
lostplaceballast
Established Member

Post by lostplaceballast »

I successfully solved the issue using this post: viewtopic.php?p=135470#p135470

tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

Tried to install Native Access to new computer. Latest Native Access (version 3.2) fails to install totally new way:

native_access.jpg
native_access.jpg (13.16 KiB) Viewed 3523 times

And now there is no files in downloads. Had also installer for older version, can install it, but when trying to run, it will try to update itself, and fails :-(

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

Piano-player25
Established Member

Post by Piano-player25 »

Had also installer for older version, can install it, but when trying to run, it will try to update itself, and fails :-(

What version did you have ? I got it to work with 1.14.1 (available here : https://support.native-instruments.com/ ... ng-Systems)

tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

Piano-player25 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:08 pm

Had also installer for older version, can install it, but when trying to run, it will try to update itself, and fails :-(

What version did you have ? I got it to work with 1.14.1 (available here : https://support.native-instruments.com/ ... ng-Systems)

I have installer for 1.13.3, and it installs fine, but when running it wants to update himself. Do you have that version still working, or are you getting that forced (failing) update?

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

bill80
Established Member

Post by bill80 »

Uninstall and downgrade Native Access to version 1.14.1.

Last edited by bill80 on Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
error.eyes
Established Member

Post by error.eyes »

For anyone who wants to skip the mounting of an ISO to install libraries, you can extract the ISO using 7zip. 7zip extracts everything needed properly and then the installers can be run without problems. I have managed to install the Studio Drummer libraries, The Maverik, and a bunch of other stuff this way without any problems, and Native Access 1 reports them as installed.

pin95

Post by pin95 »

Hi, there,

We need several files form Native Instruments to install kontakt player.

Search these files form their website. ( https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us )

1. NTKDaemon 1.9.0 Setup PC.exe or newer version.

2. Kontakt 7 7.3.1 Setup PC.exe

3. Native Access 1.14.1 Setup PC.exe

=====================================================
First, install the NTKDaemon, then install Kontakt player 7 version 7.3.1 and Native Access version 1.14.1.
The latest version of Kontakt player 7 (version 7.5.x - 7.6) or Native Access 2 doesn't work on wine or wine-staging.

Last edited by pin95 on Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:44 am, edited 2 times in total.