guitarix.vst

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

Kirtai
Established Member

Re: guitarix.vst

Post by Kirtai »

tramp wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:28 pm

The vst version have a stereo mode were all mono plugs been doubled to provide true stereo. The guitarix main app didn't come with that feature.

So use the vst version for now, thanks :)

gimmeapill
Established Member

Post by gimmeapill »

tramp wrote:

I've added the green light to the triangle indicators now. I also have increased the internal sample rate used in the tuner from 41kHz to 48kHz. Maybe there was some rounding errors during downsampling leading to the in-accuracy you described. Lower frequencies been harder to track anyway, so it maybe that this helps, but I don't know exactly, as with pure sine waves the issue didn't arise even when we use 41kHz internal.

I just made a few more tuner tests:

• The plugin display is way better with the green indicators but is very glitchy compared to Guitarix standalone. It is moving too fast to be comfortable to use.
  • I wouldn't be able to tell is the accuracy is worse or better than before the internal sample rate change, but it still has problems with low frequencies.
    I also compared it with Guitarix standalone before the sample rate change and didn't notice any accuracy difference.
  • The x42 tuner is actually worse (in the screenshot both are fed from the same jack input).
Screenshot_2023-03-25_13-29-58.png
Screenshot_2023-03-25_13-29-58.png (182.87 KiB) Viewed 13390 times
tramp wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:16 am
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

Have you made some tests in 48kHz as well?

On the road again.
gimmeapill
Established Member

Post by gimmeapill »

Absolutely the same behavior at 48KHz.
But I also tried playing a B1 on bass and surprisingly the issue does not happen at all (same as with a sine wave).
My assumption is that this is because the pitch is more stable due to the extra string tension (typically 34" or more).
Whereas on down tuned/extended range guitars, the notes on the lower strings tend to go sharp with the attack, then die off flat.

Example below (sorry, it's a wet signal):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1I8RVsf ... sp=sharing

So maybe it could help to measure the average over a longer duration?

tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

I've reworked the tuner display a bit so that it is comparable with the stand-alone interface.
To the issue with down-tune strings, there is not much I could do without increase the CPU load of the tuner.

Other than that I've started to implement MIDI support in the vst version, for now you could switch bank/preset with MIDI program change messages (LSB/MSB). Implementing MIDI learn for the controllers will come next.

On the road again.
Audiojunkie
Established Member

Post by Audiojunkie »

Very cool! I may end up selling my pedalboard at this rate! 😎👍🏼

bulevardi
Established Member

Post by bulevardi »

Awesome to see there's finally a VST for Guitarix.
I'll test it this weekend on my recording computer.
I've seen you can download a lot of presets here:
https://musical-artifacts.com/artifacts?apps=guitarix

It's one by one, is there a way to download directly a whole set/bulk of presets?

Instagram, BandCamp, SoundCloud, Spotify, iTunes,....
Get In Touch^^
bulevardi
Established Member

Post by bulevardi »

Ok, couldn't wait, installed the VST and it worked directly as it should under Reaper DAW.
It has millions of combinations, makes me freeze instantly, don't know where to begin.
Glad it had some presets already which sounded quite perfect immediately.

I'm very happy already now... As I dislike JACK chaining stuff and work with ALSA straight away, I was never able to use Guitarix before.
Now the VST is here it can maybe replace my Mod Duo from mod devices one day... Although that has zillions of possibilities too.

Get In Touch^^
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

Nice to hear you like it.

To the presets from https://musical-artifacts.com/artifacts?apps=guitarix
Best way to download them is directly in guitarix. This feature is only integrated in guitarix main. If you don't use jack, you could start guitarix with "Ignore jack". Then go to the preset button. In the now visible preset window select "Online" and select "Check for new". Now you'll get a menu with all presets from musical-artifacts. Select the ones you would try, guitarix will download and install them proper. They will be available in the vst version after that as well.

On the road again.
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

I'm just working on implement the Online Preset handler into the vst version. Works here so far. I'll do some clean-up's before push that to the repository.

On the road again.
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

So it's done. You could now download guitarix online presets from https://musical-artifacts.com/artifacts directly in guitarix.vst.
I've as well ported some preset banks from MusicLab Top Guitarist sets to match guitarix preset format and uploaded them there. So you could fetch now there preset banks inspired by Eric Clapton, Eddie Van Halen, Angus Young and David Gilmour.
More banks to come.

On the road again.
Audiojunkie
Established Member

Post by Audiojunkie »

Very cool! Nice addition! :D

tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

I've uploaded the remaining preset banks now to musical-artifacts. That are presets inspired by Andy Timmons, John Petrucci, Brain May, Chris Rea and Gary Moore.
Hope you enjoy those presets.

On the road again.
bulevardi
Established Member

Post by bulevardi »

Awesome, will rob those banks soon :)

What's the plan for the future? Is it the goal to create the same looks as the original version in the end?
Are there much other changes planned in the coming months?

Maybe some '<<' or '>>' to toggle between the presets could be handy, or able to switch between with keys up/down, so you won't have to click the menu anymore, could be very userfriendly.

Perhaps I'll make an Instagram post about Guitarix some day soon, to promote it on socials (or Tweets/FB/..).
Maybe it could attract much more users to share ideas? Or maybe I'll wait for it if there are still lots of changes coming and will promote it afterwards.

Get In Touch^^
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

bulevardi wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 1:59 pm

What's the plan for the future? Is it the goal to create the same looks as the original version in the end?

Nope. I really love the looks of the original version, but, it wouldn't suite the needs of a plugin in my opinion. The new look suits that request much better I think.

Are there much other changes planned in the coming months?

I'm currently working on forwarding all parameters to the host in order to allow automation and MIDI control. In the main application we do MIDI learn to allow easy control without need your hands, that isn't possible with the vst3 format (Meh, to bad design decision).
However, when forwarding the parameters to the host, the host could forwarding MIDI messages to the plugin and we are back on track.
So that would be the most changing plans for the next time.

aybe some '<<' or '>>' to toggle between the presets could be handy, or able to switch between with keys up/down, so you won't have to click the menu anymore, could be very userfriendly.

Well, that would be part of the parameter forwarding.

Perhaps I'll make an Instagram post about Guitarix some day soon, to promote it on socials (or Tweets/FB/..).
Maybe it could attract much more users to share ideas? Or maybe I'll wait for it if there are still lots of changes coming and will promote it afterwards.

That would be very welcome. As more Ideas shared, as better I could make it. (And indeed, maybe that would lead to more changes which may happen otherwise later) :)

On the road again.