My DAWs don't find Calf plugins

Still new to all of this? Feel free to post in any of the subforums on this site, but in this subforum newbie questions are especially encouraged!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

iheartqtracto
Established Member

My DAWs don't find Calf plugins

Post by iheartqtracto »

Hello everyone!

I'm just getting started on my linux audio journey. I'm running Fedora Workstation 37 (Gnome) and have installed the audio package that gives you everything from the Fedora Jam distro.

Fedora Jam has Calf plugins preinstalled. And I can open the Calf plugins package independently as a program. However, none of the programs I've tried (Qtractor, Ardour, etc.) can find my Calf plugins via scanning.

I've made sure to scan for all types of plugins, not just LV2. But no matter what, I can never find the Calf plugins.

I'm sure there's an obvious explanation for this that I am not seeing. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Re: My DAWs don't find Calf plugins

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

iheartqtracto wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:11 pm

[...]And I can open the Calf plugins package independently as a program.[...]

AFAIK The Calf plugins are pugins I wouldn't know how to use 'm independently without any sound/music to input to 'm.

Maybe you can show us a screeenshot of the setup window of, say, Qtractor (View > Options > Plugins > choose LV2) to see how the path to LV2 is set. I take it that Qtractor etc. do output audio? In my version of Qtractor the LV2 path is set to:

Code: Select all

/usr/lib/lv2
iheartqtracto
Established Member

Post by iheartqtracto »

Looks like the issue was that Fedora Jam has the Calf LV2s stored in a location in which they're not accessible. I simply uninstalled Calf all together and then did a dnf search for Calf packages in the Fedora repository. After reinstalling, they are suddenly accessible to Ardour and Qtractor. Had to do the same thing with Guitarix.

I'm guessing Fedora Jam isn't as actively developed as Ubuntu Studio. I would use Ubuntu Studio, but I'm too dumb to configure Jack. Fedora Jam uses pipewire and everything is pretty much plug 'n play.

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

iheartqtracto wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:17 pm

Looks like the issue was that Fedora Jam has the Calf LV2s stored in a location in which they're not accessible. I simply uninstalled Calf all together and then did a dnf search for Calf packages in the Fedora repository. After reinstalling, they are suddenly accessible to Ardour and Qtractor. Had to do the same thing with Guitarix.

I'm guessing Fedora Jam isn't as actively developed as Ubuntu Studio. I would use Ubuntu Studio, but I'm too dumb to configure Jack. Fedora Jam uses pipewire and everything is pretty much plug 'n play.

Good to hear that PipeWire is pretty much plug 'n play becuase I'm gonna have to use it too when I update my distro. And your problem underwrites my adagium: use a mainstream distro because everybody knows how those are configured.

sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

Linuxmusician01 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:30 am

adagium: use a mainstream distro because everybody knows how those are configured.

I had to look up what adagium means - old French for adage.

adage (ˈædɪdʒ) n
a traditional saying that is accepted by many as true or partially true; proverb

Which can be extrapolated to "partially false" as well. Personally I have no idea how every mainstream distro is configured. :lol:

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

sunrat wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:52 pm

[...] Personally I have no idea how every mainstream distro is configured. :lol:

For mainstream distro's there's always help to find (https://ubuntuforums.org) because thousands of people use 'm. You are but one person on earth, doesn't matter if you don't know how Debian, Ubuntu or Fedora are configured.

sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

Linuxmusician01 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:30 am

use a mainstream distro because everybody knows how those are configured.

Linuxmusician01 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:16 am

doesn't matter if you don't know how Debian, Ubuntu or Fedora are configured.

but you said everybody knows. :lol: