Ardour 7.0 has been released

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

Largos
Established Member

Re: Ardour 7.0 has been released

Post by Largos »

There is a new version of Vital 1.5.3 which is marked as early access, doesn't download with the updater but is available in the account section on their website. The deb file only seemed to include the standalone version. However you can download the zip file and copy clap/vst/vst3 versions into the appropriate folders (there isn't lv2). I tried the vst3 version in Ardour and seems to be working fine, not crawling the performance to a slow like before.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

It's not a new bug, this kind of thing has been happening for at least 5 years (and I know this because I used to submit bug reports). It's very much to do with Ardour and, as I said, I've never had the same thing happen with any other DAW but have had it lots and lots of times in Ardour.

I'm not trying to dump on Ardour and nor am I naive enough to think that bugs don't occur, but this has long been my experience with Ardour. Personally, I don't want to use a DAW that can just disappear, lose everything you've worked on, and corrupt project files.

I'm not really sure how your suggestion of backing up helps much in the scenario. I'm keen on backing up data but having to backup work as you're working is a bit much. How would that even function? Having cron running rsync every second? RAID? Seems a bit excessive for a serious bug in a particular program. The simpler solution is to use something that is stable and backup as normal.
dawhead
Established Member

Post by dawhead »

There is not a single bug report about this in the Ardour issue tracker, except one from Unfa that has been resolved subsequently thanks to JUCE fixing a bug in their toolkit.

It is entirely possible for a plugin to be at fault yet crash in only a single DAW (just as it is possible for the same block of code in Ardour to cause a crash in one session, but not in another).

We cannot fix bugs that people do not report, and we also get incredibly tired and a bit irritated by the "But it works in XXX" as the reason why it must be Ardour's fault. There have been numerous plugin bugs that have been fixed in the plugin because someone reported it to us, and we were able to explain to the plugin developer what was wrong.

Nobody has to use Ardour. Lots of other good DAWs out there. But bitching about how a crash from a particular plugin that has never been filed as bug with us must be our fault is ... irritating.
sjzstudio
Established Member

Post by sjzstudio »

Ardour and Mixbus are excellent tools. I use them all the time for studio work. You have to remember that there is no crash-proof program. There's no need to say otherwise. The problems are often there on the side of the mouse hand
Largos
Established Member

Post by Largos »

khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.
sjaehn
Established Member

Post by sjaehn »

Basslint wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 3:22 pm
Gps wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 2:35 pm

Swing and humanization. Of course this can be done manual, but I can already do this in LMMS too.

Both can be done via plugin, in this case BSchaffl. @sjaehn am I wrong?

Yeah, swing of course. B.Schaffl is a swing plugin. Pre-instrument. It modifies the midi signals. Both temporal and velocity. Demonstrated here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oPtBPAgvmY

And it can introduce some "humanization" by adding randomness. You can define the amount of randomness. Also for both, time and velocity. If you need some more "humanization", other approaches like fractal patterns or AI are required. Which are not implemented in B.Schaffl. And if you need true humanization, then you need a true human. But nevertheless, I think you can already get very close only with the randomization feature of the plugin.

paulmerchant
Established Member

Post by paulmerchant »

Ardour 7 continues to improve quickly. They just released 7.5. It was sad to see Ardour's tempo mapping quite broken early in Ardour 7, but then it got fixed. And now one of the best apps at tempo mapping gets even better with this release.

https://ardour.org/whatsnew.html