Masking background flaws in Kdenlive

Post fully complete "how to" guides and tutorials here. This is a great place to get feedback on stuff you might put in the wiki.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

CraigPid
Established Member

Masking background flaws in Kdenlive

Post by CraigPid »

I thought I should share this tip and maybe someone has a better process. My wife filmed a video and she didn't like that there was a nail hole in the wall beside her head. I could not find any info on how to edit that so I came up with this. Right click on the offending clip and "extract frame". Save the image and open it in Gimp or any image editor. Crop out a square big enough to cover the hole and make sure that it is as close to the hole as possible and the colour is consistent with the area that you want to cover. Save that image. Go back into Kdenlive and add a title clip in the project bin. Drag the title clip to a video lane above where your clip is to overlay the clip. Then double click the title clip, click the button at the top to add an image and browse for the image that you cropped and save. The square will appear at the top left corner of the title clip. Make sure that "show background is selected in the title clip editor and then drag the square on top of the nail hole and save. It does work but can be tedious as you might have to make multiple title clips for a short segment if the light and shadows are changing. Maybe someone else has figured out a better way. Would be nice if you could use a clone tool like in an image editor.

magicalex
Established Member

Re: Masking background flaws in Kdenlive

Post by magicalex »

I would crop a duplicate clip on the track above the original using rotoscoping or alpha shapes and then offset the position of the cropped clip.

CraigPid
Established Member

Post by CraigPid »

magicalex wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:30 am

I would crop a duplicate clip on the track above the original using rotoscoping or alpha shapes and then offset the position of the cropped clip.

Would you have a minute to elaborate on that a little?

magicalex
Established Member

Post by magicalex »

CraigPid wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:20 pm

Would you have a minute to elaborate on that a little?

I'll do my best. I would duplicate the clip and place it on the track above. I would then crop the area which I want to use to hide the flaw using the alpha shapes tool which allows you to feather the edges. Then, using the transform tool I would move the cropped clipped until it covers the flaw.