Do you listen to/enjoy your own music regularly?

Music trends, latest album reviews...whatever!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Gps
Established Member

Re: Do you listen to/enjoy your own music regularly?

Post by Gps »

There are at least two tracks, I should remix, a house track and a reggae track.

An American who has played in a band, said the reggae track has potential.
A guy posting a vid, on how to make reggae, was also impressed.

On the house track, I got very positive reactions of people who are into old school House.
When I tried to play the house track on the monitors though, it showed how terrible it was mixed.
Way too much low end, so much even the monitors could not keep up.

Then most of my other tracks, transistions ? what are transistions. :lol:

This might be a good example, of what is wrong with my earlier tracks. (this one with the 4 most used chords in pop music)
The overall progression of the track is a mess. :lol:

https://soundcloud.com/user586365033/happyness

I think it has potential though.

This one same problem, but I could not do better at the time.
https://soundcloud.com/user586365033/sadtrumpet

This one I really like but, its a tad long and I think I could do better now, mostly structure wise.
https://soundcloud.com/user586365033/asend

glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

Gps wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:17 pm

This might be a good example, of what is wrong with my earlier tracks. (this one with the 4 most used chords in pop music)
The overall progression of the track is a mess. :lol:

https://soundcloud.com/user586365033/happyness

I think it has potential though.

In the first 45 seconds, I like the quick introduction of new elements, arriving at a starting point, where I think you need to establish a strong melodic theme, with a good guitar or synth lead, or both. The music is fun to play with, but to make that easier, reduce the number of elements that don't serve the purpose of supporting a melody. Musical changes for the sake of change, won't necessarily hold interest, while making it harder for a lead artist to create and express the song's theme(s).

The synth arp at 3:30 is nicely done, another good takeoff for melodic jamming. You might want to make 30 minute versions of the two chord patterns
you like the best, built using Audacity's select/copy/paste operations enough times. Then pick a couple of guitar and synth sounds, press record, and jam away. Each time you get a really good take, hold off for a bar, to make it easy to find later and paste the good parts back in the main track. The reaper demo is handy for that, with a 'save live output to disk' recording option. DecentSampler from Pianobook, has sampled guitars and synths, and is easy to use by design, load it on a track in Reaper, and import the sampled instrument of choice. The sample downloads are categorized, with sampling details, and many with reviews/demos of many of the sample sets.

https://www.reaper.fm/download.php

https://www.decentsamples.com/product/d ... er-plugin/

https://www.pianobook.co.uk/packs/

You might enjoy some Rick Beato videos, he breaks down and explains great songs, great moments, and interviews great players, and generally educates composers and producers. Lot's of fun in the process:

https://www.youtube.com/c/rickbeato

Cheers

Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

Thank you and Rick Beato, is one of the people I hate. :P
That asshole has perfect pitch. I am green of envy. :mrgreen:

All kidding aside, I am sub-scripted to his channel, and been wondering if I should order his course about ear training.
According to him, perfect pitch is some thing you have or do not have, you can't train it, but you can train to have a good relative pitch.

I do remember uploading my first track, and people asking if I was tone deaf.
I was shocked, what do you mean my track is out of tune? I did hear something not totally fine, but also not having a clue on what was wrong.
Scales ? What are scales ?

About 5 month later while refusing to give up, something went pop in my head.
That had to do with a vid of musikbear, showing how to find the key of a song in LMMS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhkwmABRtp4&t=339s

For the first few months, I did not hear why he is saying no no no at first, and then hello when he does find the key.

To me this proofs Rick Beato is right, that there is hope for people not having perfect pitch.
I also wonder if I need that course though, because Bearsounds probably has helped me already.
When I cover something these days I can hear if I am in tune or not. 8)

I owe Bearsounds a lot. He thought me to use the mark current scale option in LMMS.
Its possible he made this vid for me, but it will help others too, starting with music. He is one of the LMMS devs.

He added strumming and some more, but the other devs did not agree on how he did this. :(
Strumming and humanization, is something I have requested for LMMS, but I was probably not the only one.

This goes back to me seeing a demonstration, of Cubase on an Atari ST and a drumcomputer. (and a Yamaha DX7)
The guy made a rhythm, and we the audience said it sounded very mechanical.
Then he did something with the mouse, he right clicked and boom, it suddenly sounded like a live drummer.

I learned a lot since then, I now know how to do swing in LMMS, and how to mess the the volume of individual notes.
In the famous 1,2,3,4 make the first beat a tad louder. Real drummers do this even without knowing they do this.
Its when you say 1,2,3,4, there is usual an emphasis on the one.

I downloaded reaper and will get back to this topic. :)

tkmusic
Established Member

Post by tkmusic »

I have a tendency to do that, especially if I'm working on a song. So many times I've listened to a WIP and realize I need to adjust a level somewhere.

folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

I knew someone who had perfect pitch, and he regarded it as a curse - not an asset. This was in the days when cassettes were king, and no two ever ran at the same speed!

The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

folderol wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 3:29 pm

I knew someone who had perfect pitch, and he regarded it as a curse - not an asset. This was in the days when cassettes were king, and no two ever ran at the same speed!

This reminds me of people buying the cheapest cassette tapes, not hearing nor understanding why I bought less cheap tapes.

I often wondered who is more happy.....

Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

Tape hiss can be a blessing: I used to love the intro to Megadeth's "into the lungs of hell", which I had on tape. Later I bought the cd, and found out that there's horns playing a crappy melody, which ruined the experience for me. Never noticed it with my cassette.

tkmusic
Established Member

Post by tkmusic »

Impostor wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:46 pm

Tape hiss can be a blessing: I used to love the intro to Megadeth's "into the lungs of hell", which I had on tape. Later I bought the cd, and found out that there's horns playing a crappy melody, which ruined the experience for me. Never noticed it with my cassette.

Which CD version? The original mix had the horns buried so they could barely be heard, but the 2004 remaster version brought them up in the mix considerably.

Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

tkmusic wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:15 pm
Impostor wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:46 pm

Which CD version? The original mix had the horns buried so they could barely be heard, but the 2004 remaster version brought them up in the mix considerably.

It's indeed the remastered version that I have. Maybe I should hunt down an original then.

mcord
Established Member

Post by mcord »

I often find myself playing a segment of one of my songs over and over in my head. Does that count as a yes? :D

I'm a little hesitant to call my case 'having an ear worm', because that would imply I don't like what's stuck in my head. On the contrary, I find it just as catchy and enjoyable as my favourite songs produced by others. (My goal is to make my music personal after all, so I guess I succeeded.)

That being said, so far there has been only a single time when I actually sat down to listen to a few of my songs several months after I published them. I found the very early ones outright boring. I would rather play them in my head because that way I don't have to hear the unpolished parts. :D (The later ones are more fun to listen to with my ears, though.)

Revisiting the early ones and making them more exciting by applying what I have learned since then (over about a year ago) has been on my mind, actually. I'm planning to do that once I finished one or two new projects.

peter.semiletov
Established Member

Post by peter.semiletov »

I'm listening to my music rarely, mostly before posting it to somewhere - I like to imagine how it will be listened by external persons, not myself :) It is good to hear own music after the years, when it not presented in my mind as the set of tracks, FX, etc, but as a solid piece of the sound.

RyanH
Established Member

Post by RyanH »

folderol wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 3:29 pm

My first-ever attempt to record my own music was before I had a digital anything... maybe 23 years ago. I had tape players and a 4-channel mixer. I recorded some drums on cassette and recorded I think a bassline over that, also on cassette. Then I wanted to record guitar next, but realized it was impossible to get everything in tune because the tape playing back the bass didn't play at the perfect speed (and therefore pitch). Thankfully, some friends of mine introduced me to digital workstations not long afterward and I was able to get started.