Studio monitors

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Gps
Established Member

Re: Studio monitors

Post by Gps »

I do have a problems with using a spectrum analyzer, because I do not know what to look for.
Maybe I need to search for some you tube tutorials.

What I have tried, is to look in QMMP (http://qmmp.ylsoftware.com/)

In that spectrum thingy, compare my tracks with pro mixed tracks. I do not know how good that spectrum thingy from that music player is, but I do notice my tracks look different. Less low end is something I see.

Only recently though, I noticed how important a sub baseline is, even if you can hardly hear it.
Its one of those things you hardly hear in the mix, but do notice when its not there.

That's also what I probably should have done in that house track. Have a sub bassline, instead of trying to boost the low end (EQ) ( too much).

Death
Established Member

Post by Death »

Well I use Voxengo SPAN (which doesn't have a Linux version) with the mastering preset.

The reason for using the mastering preset is that it sets the response to be quite slow and averaged out with much less detail in it so you won't see harmonics spiking up everywhere. This is exactly what you want when using it on the master bus because it makes it a lot easier to see the big picture which is what mastering is all about. We're not concerned with momentary peaks in frequencies here unless they are very high peaks.

The other thing with this preset is that it sets the slope to 4.5db per octave. This is really important because it will significantly alter the presentation of the frequencies. A 0db slope would represent the frequencies at the actual level they're at but human hearing is more sensitive to some frequencies than others and so setting it to 4.5db tilts the slope and more closely resembles how we actually hear them (Play with this setting and you'll see). Not all spectrum analysers will use the same slope by default and so you can see very different results depending on which one you use which can leave you feeling very confused. A slope of 4.5db means that when a mix is well balanced you will see roughly the same level across the entire spectrum; All frequencies will be moving around the same volume level as eachother so it all looks quite flat which makes it very easy to understand :)

This is not a solid rule though as it totally depends on what's going on. For example, maybe your music has no bass instrument and is just an acoustic guitar with a vocal. Well in this scenario it'd be totally normal to see less activity happening in the low end; It'd be more mid-range focused which is fine. So just keep this in mind! A fully fleshed out song with all sorts of instruments playing in all frequency ranges at the same time will, however, likely look more flat across the whole spectrum when it is well mixed (although looking flat on the analyser does not guarantee the mix is good), with the frequencies rolling off at the very top and very low end of the spectrum; Somewhere around 20Hz & 20KHz, for example, as there's no point having frequencies outside of this range because no one can hear them..

So to summarize:

• Select the mastering preset on your spectrum analyser if it has one. If not then you will have to read the documentation or seek advice from someone else who uses it to be able to set it up for this task.
  • Set the slope to 4.5db.
  • Mix by ear but also use the spectrum analyser as a second reference and try to get the mix looking fairly flat across the spectrum, assuming that's what is appropriate for your mix. But as I said; sometimes this is not the right thing to do.
  • Now check your mix on different devices in different locations and hopefully you'll see it has translated better!

As for sub bass; Yeh I use that trick all the time. I like to put a subtle sub underneath the main bassline just to fill out the low end. It's one of those things where its presence is felt rather than heard. I also like to compress the two together on a bus as I find that helps glue them better. You don't always need a sub though. You'll start to realise when you do or don't need it after some practice :)

It took me a while to write that so I hope it clears things up a bit..?

Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

Yes it does, especially the part about

A fully fleshed out song with all sorts of instruments playing in all frequency ranges at the same time will, however, likely look more flat across the whole spectrum

Of course the context is important, the other part of your reply, but this is helping me big time.

Voxengo span is in my VST folder. :)

I have no idea yet, what you mean with a mastering preset.
But that will be easy enough to figure out, when I load Voxengo in LMMS.

I have used the spectrum thingy from LMMS, but I can't get it to work right. I am however 99.9 % sure that is a limitation on my side.
Not having a clue on how to use it. (https://docs.lmms.io/user-manual/6-buil ... m-analyzer) (1.3 and later)

I had better results with using EasyQ presets, and then fine tuning it.
https://www.kvraudio.com/product/easyq_by_rs_met

This also proofs to me the one in qmmp is not that bad, but its way to small to be really use full for our purpose.
I have tested it with different tracks and it does truly show the frequencies

QMMP for those of us that miss winamp on Linux. You can even use winamp skins. No wine needed.
Easy q does, just like Voxengo

Death
Established Member

Post by Death »

Well that's good :)

It's just a preset that comes built in with Span. It's just like a preset that any other type of plugin would have - nothing special. You've used presets before, right? But yeh, when you load Span I'm sure you'll find it. I think the full name is 'Stereo Mastering'.

I used to love Winamp! I especially liked the later versions of it because the library management was amazing and I've never found anything that compares since.. I recommend having a spectrum analyser in your DAW and using that though. Much better for workflow and probably a more accurate way to work.

sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

Voxengo Span is OK but it wouldn't resize so was tiny on my UHD screen, and it needs WINE which I try to avoid if possible.
I prefer x-42 Spectrum Display which is a native Linux plugin. It has peak hold which is really helpful, and a response knob which slows it down so similar to mastering preset. LSP Spectrum Analyser also has a mastering preset.
The tilt function is not necessary IMO if you know the slope of what you want for the end result. Just play a reference track and see what slope that has.
Analysers are handy tools but the end result is ultimately about ears, not eyes, and mixing visually can give false impressions. :wink: