Korg Nanopad

Discuss your workplace, instruments, amps, and any other gear.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Jan
Established Member

Korg Nanopad

Post by Jan »

I recently saw a Korg Nanopad and decided to buy one. I didn't know if it would work in Linux, but the Nanopad was recognized right away and the software to assign the pads works perfectly with wine, even if the software itself is not the most intuitive. The Akai offer was also tempting, but I figured that with a price of 50 Euros none of them would be wrong invested money and went with the Nanopad.

The Nanopad is a cool toy and helps me with making beats in Hydrogen. I don't think like a drummer, but with practice my "drumming" on the Nanopad is getting better.

If you like cool but inexpensive toys, the Nanopad is definitely worth checking out.
The more it stays the same, the less it changes
raboof
Established Member

Re: Korg Nanopad

Post by raboof »

Jan wrote:the Nanopad was recognized right away and the software to assign the pads works perfectly with wine.
So how does it work? Like a regular USB MIDI device? Does it work without wine? What kind of messages does it send? Might be nice to mention it at http://alsa-project.org/main/index.php/ ... endor-Korg
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

Jan wrote:The Akai offer was also tempting
The LPD8 sure looks interesting. Looks like you can control the pad backlights from the PC - anyone know how that's done? Are there MIDI commands to control those or is there some sort of proprietary interface?
Jan
Established Member

Post by Jan »

raboof wrote:
Jan wrote:the Nanopad was recognized right away and the software to assign the pads works perfectly with wine.
So how does it work? Like a regular USB MIDI device? Does it work without wine? What kind of messages does it send? Might be nice to mention it at http://alsa-project.org/main/index.php/ ... endor-Korg
Yes, it works like a regualr USB device, it even shows up with the name "nanopad" in JackControls MIDI section. It works right out of the box, but if you want to assign the pads to the different drums in Hydrogen you'll need the Korg config tool. There you can make your preset, load it into the Nanopad and the next time you want to use the Nanopad you won't need the Korg tool, it is written on the devices internal memory until you load a changed preset. But normally you configure it once and that's it. I assigned the pads how I liked it best and will be making the other scenes to my needs in other drumsets, maybe percussion or something like that.
Capoeira
Established Member

Post by Capoeira »

verry interested in something like this.....you can't realy drum on a keyboard.....but has to work without wine
autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

Got one too. Also a nanokontrol. Both work well. You could try nano-basket, a little Python script to configure the device.
Jan
Established Member

Post by Jan »

AutoStatic wrote:Got one too. Also a nanokontrol. Both work well. You could try nano-basket, a little Python script to configure the device.
Maybe I'll get the NanoKontrol too. Do you need a software to configure it?
autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

Hello Jan, you can configure it with the same Korg config tool you used for the nanopad.
autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

raboof wrote:
Jan wrote:The Akai offer was also tempting
The LPD8 sure looks interesting. Looks like you can control the pad backlights from the PC - anyone know how that's done?
Probably MIDI feedback. Not so many applications offer this. Qtractor does, Ardour too I think.
autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

raboof wrote:Looks like you can control the pad backlights from the PC - anyone know how that's done? Are there MIDI commands to control those or is there some sort of proprietary interface?
Raboof, where did you find this info? I'm thinking about buying a MPK Mini but I'd like to know if it supports MIDI feedback. Can't find it anywhere, not even in the manual.

Best,

Jeremy

Edit: Found something: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQpF08tmPY4
So apparently the LPD8 supports MIDI feedback, so I assume the MPK Mini does too.
milsabor

Post by milsabor »

Hello Guys, I'm glad to find this recent topic about the Korg Nanopad, maybe am I going to find some answers ... I'm a linux (Ubuntu) user, and I got a Korg Nanopad for Christmas, but I have a very little knowledge in MIDI stuff...
I succeeded to install the driver and the Korg Kontrol Editor with wine, but if I well understood the discussion topic here, it's just to configure the pad, but not to make some sound with the pad.
Now, I would like to configure the pad in order to use it with hydrogen. Actually, only the 7 to 8 pads are working with hydrogen, the other ones have a weird behaviour when I hit them ... and the X-Y pad is not working at all. So, I need your help to configure the pad with Korg Kontrol Editor, to correctly assign the pads with the correct MIDI signals, in order to use it with Hydrogen.
Please let me know if you can do anything for me :wink:
Thanks (And sorry for my english ...)
Capoeira
Established Member

Post by Capoeira »

milsabor wrote:Hello Guys, I'm glad to find this recent topic about the Korg Nanopad, maybe am I going to find some answers ... I'm a linux (Ubuntu) user, and I got a Korg Nanopad for Christmas, but I have a very little knowledge in MIDI stuff...
I succeeded to install the driver and the Korg Kontrol Editor with wine, but if I well understood the discussion topic here, it's just to configure the pad, but not to make some sound with the pad.
Now, I would like to configure the pad in order to use it with hydrogen. Actually, only the 7 to 8 pads are working with hydrogen, the other ones have a weird behaviour when I hit them ... and the X-Y pad is not working at all. So, I need your help to configure the pad with Korg Kontrol Editor, to correctly assign the pads with the correct MIDI signals, in order to use it with Hydrogen.
use a virtual keyboard (vkeybd or jack-keyboard) with hydrogen to understand wich notes you have to configure on the pads
Jan
Established Member

Post by Jan »

milsabor wrote:Hello Guys, I'm glad to find this recent topic about the Korg Nanopad, maybe am I going to find some answers ... I'm a linux (Ubuntu) user, and I got a Korg Nanopad for Christmas, but I have a very little knowledge in MIDI stuff...
Usually all the different drum sounds are mapped somewehere on the different scenes and pads. You could see where the sounds are and see in the editor what note they are or you just take Capoeiras advice and use a virtual keyboard, which is easier, I think.
autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

I have a nanoPAD too :oops:
I can make a dump of my Hydrogen scene and upload it somewhere. I'll see what I can do. The X-Y pad is pretty cool by the way.

Best,

Jeremy
Capoeira
Established Member

Post by Capoeira »

f_ck, i think i will buy one, too

are there any similar products?

what can you do with drums and this x-y-controler?
is the velocity-sensitivety good?