AVL Drumkits new Blonde Bop Kits Released!!

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

funkmuscle
Established Member

Re: AVL Drumkits new Blonde Bop Kits Released!!

Post by funkmuscle »

What about room mics? That's what I love about Drumgizmo.. Rooms mics really glues and adds size to the drums IMO.
Every drum mixing vid talks about how important the room is. Yes we can say that's their opinion but from using kits without rooms and kits with, I personally get a better mix with rooms. Even with real drums as my drummer sent me tracks once without room track and we couldn't figure why the drums were missing something in the sound.

He then asked what tracks I had and he said, wait, where is the room? I said never received.

After sending it and adding to song, the difference were night and day. I guess because we play hard rock/metal the room is important for that big room sound IMO.

Please don't take this wrong, AVL kits sound amazing. Would love to have kits for Drumgizmo with bleed and with room.. Especially the Led Zep kit.

I know some would say feed the entire kit to a bus and add room verb but it's not easy making close mic'd drums sound real in a fake room. Trust me I've tried and got fed up even after watching many vids on utube. The ones that really work are the ones where some engineer is sponsoring a plugin that's made to do that. Don't know if we have that on Linux. But like I've said, these kits are amazing.

Shameless request for Drumgizmo kits Glen :mrgreen: :wink:

j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

These drums are recorded better than the previous kits. The other kits had some of the tail end trimmed off, and therefore you could detect an unnatural decay. These are trimmed more naturally.

But to my ear, it sounds like you may have overloaded the mic's pickup on some of the drum sounds where you used the hot rods. For example, the slight "crackle" at the start of 14" floortom. If you're using a condenser, try the pad if it has one. If a dynamic, you may want to move the mic further away from the drum.

Author of BackupBand at https://sourceforge.net/projects/backupband/files/
My fans show their support by mentioning my name in their signature.

j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

funkmuscle wrote:

it's not easy making close mic'd drums sound real in a fake room.

You may be putting the wrong kind of reverb on the drums. For example, if you're using a hall reverb, typically you're going to have some longer pre-delay. And that effect is preceived by the human ear as moving the drummer further away from the listener. Of course, for heavy metal, you don't want to move the drummer further away. You want him to sound right next to the listener. For this reason, a lot of engineers prefer using plate reverbs on drums, as they tend to have shorter pre-delays.

Author of BackupBand at https://sourceforge.net/projects/backupband/files/
My fans show their support by mentioning my name in their signature.

funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

j_e_f_f_g wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:19 pm
funkmuscle wrote:

You may be putting the wrong kind of reverb on the drums. For example, if you're using a hall reverb, typically you're going to have some longer pre-delay. And that effect is preceived by the human ear as moving the drummer further away from the listener. Of course, for heavy metal, you don't want to move the drummer further away. You want him to sound right next to the listener. For this reason, a lot of engineers prefer using plate reverbs on drums, as they tend to have shorter pre-delays.

Yep. Been through all that but the decay doesn't seem to just leave the room without the tail but I'm trying something with airwindows Verbity2. Instead of s decay, it has a sustain slide and where my drummer records, it's his basement so I find by adding Verbity2 and killing the sustain, I'm actually getting the that room I'm looking for but trying with close mics, you here the difference but I guess in a mix, the average listener just cares if the song is good.
Thank man!!

GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

j_e_f_f_g wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:19 pm
funkmuscle wrote:

Condensers had pads engaged and were nowhere near the shells, they were 3-4 feet overhead.. The interface preamps had lots of headroom and there were no clipped WAV's in the collected samples. I like a few ugly blemishes, tom ring, cymbal tones... all that good stuff... this ain't no Kurzweil K2000 wavetable... :wink:

@funkmuscle

I hear you, but DG and these are oranges and apples... We had an existing form to match up with and we did what we did to ensure compatibility with people using the existing kits. I respect and admire what DG is doing but that is a different market for a different kind of production. These are to give quick and good sounds with great flexibility at virtually no memory cost. Depending on your goals and your production experience you can achieve good results with both across various genres.. There is a lot to like about DrumGizmo, they are doing a great job without my help... :wink: