Ubuntu 22 trouble with Tascam US-16x08 as input device

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

ClausRogge
Established Member

Ubuntu 22 trouble with Tascam US-16x08 as input device

Post by ClausRogge »

aplay -l lists it and playing works, Settings-Sound has it.
arecord -l lists it, too but in Settings-Sound all I can choose for input is the microphone.
In alsamixer all inputs are at 95 %. To my eye everything looks ok.
I'm using Ardour 7.2 for recording. No signal. No MIDI either.
What can I do? It's annoying, wanting to make some music and hitting a wall (but I didn't have to tell you that)

1123artc
Established Member

Re: Ubuntu 22 trouble with Tascam US-16x08 as input device

Post by 1123artc »

I recently set up my Tascam US-16x08 with Linux Mint 20.3. I'm not sure what changes have been made from Ubuntu 20 to 22, but I figure it wouldn't be that much. Since Mint is based on Ubuntu, things should work similarly.

I had it working great as input and output. I'm having playback issues now (still troubleshooting), but my input/recording still works fine. Using Reaper though, not Ardour.

Have you tried using Jack/PulseAudio?

I used this:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install qjackctl pulseaudio-module-jack

Then followed this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6F9Gt7guWw

If you select JACK as the device in Ardour, I suppose that should work. You can also check out my post re: playback issues where I include screenshots of my setup for all my software.

If you can't see my post yet, it's probably still pending approval. Here is an album including my setup: https://postimg.cc/gallery/yRnr925

Hopefully that helps!

ClausRogge
Established Member

SOLVED Re: Ubuntu 22 trouble with Tascam US-16x08 as input device

Post by ClausRogge »

Thank you for your reply! Yes I have worked with Jack in the past but as the Ardour manual says it's not necessary anymore, I use ALSA now. It just seems the more direct way.

But my problem has gone away, since I tried it the last time, Settings/Audio still doesn't list the device but Ardour finds it with and happily records from it! Is it okay to just add "SOLVED" to the Subject?