How to record as audio song from Muse?

MusE is a DAW for Linux with both MIDI and Audio editing. https://muse-sequencer.github.io

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz, spamatica

saturnin51
Established Member

How to record as audio song from Muse?

Post by saturnin51 »

Hi,

Perhaps the question was already asked. I want to obtain a wav or a mp3 of the song I record with Muse, Midi and audio. And possibly directly with my smartphone.

Impostor
Established Member

Re: How to record as audio song from Muse?

Post by Impostor »

MusE:

Select the master audio track (with the left- and right markers bounding your song), go to menu Audio>Render downmix to a file. This gives a wav. You can use any converter, like lame, to make an mp3 out of it. I always load the rendered song into a wave editor first to trim and normalize it, then export it as an mp3 and wav.

diosphere

Post by diosphere »

You can also just click the arrow icon on the main output to render your song in wave audio file.

Render Downmix to a file.
Render Downmix to a file.
main out.gif (3.18 KiB) Viewed 1656 times
saturnin51
Established Member

Post by saturnin51 »

OK thanks. But only the audio tracks are recorded, not the MIDI tracks. I would want to record all the sounds not only the audio.

Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

saturnin51 wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:39 pm

OK thanks. But only the audio tracks are recorded, not the MIDI tracks. I would want to record all the sounds not only the audio.

Where does the midi data go to? External software? Hardware? Internal plugins? Have you made certain that all audio is routed to a single master audio track?

saturnin51
Established Member

Post by saturnin51 »

All the tracks, MIDI and audio, go to track output.

Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

saturnin51 wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:58 pm

Here's some documentation for you to read, to get a grip on at least some of the basics:

https://thoth-amon.github.io/muse-seque ... intro.html

saturnin51
Established Member

Post by saturnin51 »

I am certainly not a pro of Muse but I am not also a newbie. I used Cubase Audio on a Falcon and Muse for several years.
Before to write my question, I search a way to obtain the result and I didn't find: a file wav with all the tracks into, MIDI and audio.

Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

saturnin51 wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:33 pm

I am certainly not a pro of Muse but I am not also a newbie. I used Cubase Audio on a Falcon and Muse for several years.
Before to write my question, I search a way to obtain the result and I didn't find: a file wav with all the tracks into, MIDI and audio.

But midi is not audio, so how can you expect to have midi data in a wave file? That's why I ask what audio device the midi tracks are connected to: a plugin, external software, or hardware?

spamatica
Established Member

Post by spamatica »

Impostor wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:10 pm
saturnin51 wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:58 pm

Here's some documentation for you to read, to get a grip on at least some of the basics:

https://thoth-amon.github.io/muse-seque ... intro.html

What is recorded with a mixdown is the audio that passes through the output track.

Midi however does not actually produce audio by itself, instead it is sent to a synth. The synth in turn produces audio.
It then comes down to which type of synth you are using?

1. Plugin: If the synth is a plugin/softsynth that you started from inside MusE the synths audio very likely passes through the output track and should be recorded with a mixdown.
  2. Standalone softsynth: Some synths, especially older softsynths, are standalone. They can receive midi from MusE but extra steps must be taken to record their audio during a mixdown.
  3. External synths: E.g. a hardware synth. For apparent reasons their audio must be connected back into the computer and routed into MusE much the same as 2. to be able to mixdown.

So, the question is what type of synths you are using?
I think it is very likely that you are using a plugin from within MusE? In which case it should work...

Thinking about it I realize that MusE allows for creating multiple output tracks. If you have more than one output, this is likely unnecessary and may be the reason it is not working?

MusE DAW
saturnin51
Established Member

Post by saturnin51 »

It is late in France now. So I am tired ! Obviously that the audio output of the midi tracks is on the expander and then on the mixer and so can't out with the audio. Stupid boy !
Mille excuses !