Php ,JavaScript

Post by MattKingUSA »

Any php or JavaScript devs on the board? :?:

-Matt :D

j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Re: Php ,JavaScript

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

I've done a little javascript about 6 years ago. Avoided php, thankfully.

Author of BackupBand at https://sourceforge.net/projects/backupband/files/
My fans show their support by mentioning my name in their signature.

d.healey
Established Member

Post by d.healey »

Yup

David Healey
YouTube - Free HISE scripting and sample library dev tutorials
Libre Wave - Freedom respecting instruments and effects.
MattKingUSA
Moderation Services Senior Administrator

Post by MattKingUSA »

I added a poll. 😃 I was just curious how many use these technologies. I have a project I have been working on since 2020. I'm trying to finish up V2 at the moment. It's basically a forum but it functions like a chat. It has encrypted mail and private chats as well. But I have used php and JavaScript. I know many people seem to not like php but I find it very easy to use and understand.

MattKingUSA

Post by MattKingUSA »

I want to post my project here when it's done. But I will say sorry in advance for the absence of documentation. I always aim for under 1.44mb and every line counts haha.

MattKingUSA

Post by MattKingUSA »

I may set up a test server if anyone would like to test it when its done. I'll add you to the tester credits on the about page. Right now I have a test server with 10 users that are friends. But it would be nice if anyone else wanted to check it out and send bugs and requests. The current test server has been available since last month. And I am still not caught up on the fixes hahaha.

MattKingUSA

Post by MattKingUSA »

I'm still working on the next version of my chat forum. It's taking forever. I keep thinking it's ready. I've stripped a lot of things out of the first version and added more stuff in. I've taken some ideas from the forum here to use and made my own version or how I would like them to work. But I get stuck in things a lot that take a while to get going.

The biggest delays have been creating my own auth, encrypted mail, smooth insertion of new messages with jQuery and this one took a year to figure out since I have so much going on with a post.

I'm still working on the ban button for the admin side of things. But I think I have a lot of interesting ideas that I have been able to get done.

I will post the project when it is done so anyone interested can install and try it out. It's designed specifically for shared hosting plans which is highly restrictive on options. So that has been another reason it's taken so long. There aren't any shared hosting specific web chats that I know of so this may be the first, and likely last. It's not the most efficient approach. But it sure works.

My favorite thing I have added so far to the chat is static image handling works on a reference file. So the file remains static but the reference image can change and therefore the image never gets cached and can change as soon as the prior image is changed. And to handle server space the previous image is removed from the server on upload of the replacement. So it's efficient for storage. But it bad if you don't have a copy backed up and want to revert changes.

erlkönig
Established Member

Post by erlkönig »

Yes, i'm forced to use both.
Sounds interesting. With PHP there a few problems in continuity of the phplibs, They tend to change there return values/datatypes from version to version. Furthermore, they have sometimes really weired ideas, like e.g. evaluating the values you get by their iniparser logically, so you can't use "|", "^", "&" in values. It's not really maintainable over the years.
Since ecmascript5, javascript is really cool, especially when combined with websockets. No more need for external frameworks or ajax..

Currently working with
https://www.honeysuckers.rocks/?lang=en
https://de-de.facebook.com/SatanicVoices2019
Fiddling with sequencers does not evolve into music necessarily and Mac users have smelly feet and guzzle little children.

MattKingUSA

Post by MattKingUSA »

I've actually updated php versions 3 times now. I'm targeting 8 at the moment. And I've updated jQuery a few times as well. But I'm not using web sockets. I'm actually using user IDs with triggers in JavaScript. Obviously this is far from ideal and won't scale very well but is great for small groups. It's meant to be small, simple, non complex and require very little from the administrator. Also require no server side interaction on the part of the maintainer or server side knowledge. As terrible as I'm sure it sounds it does work very well on moderne desktop and mobile browsers given the amount of available resources in a modern browser.

EDIT: I assume there will be no kind opinions from developers. But end users will find it to be a useful option, most likely. And I've put a lot of time into security. It's sufficiently locked down and highly obscure in implementation.

d.healey
Established Member

Post by d.healey »

Probably too late to save you but don't use jquery in 2023, vanilla JS is faster and just as capable.

David Healey
YouTube - Free HISE scripting and sample library dev tutorials
Libre Wave - Freedom respecting instruments and effects.
MattKingUSA

Post by MattKingUSA »

It's too late indeed. Lol