Mayb I'm a Leo (Deep Purple cover)

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

finotti
Established Member

Mayb I'm a Leo (Deep Purple cover)

Post by finotti »

Here is a cover of Maybe I'm a Leo, by Deep Purple.

I've used this MIDI, and the author(s) did an outstanding job! I modified a lot of things, but the hardest part was already done.

I've used a lot of IK Multimedia software this time: Hammond B-3X, MODO Bass, and the guitars were recorded with AmpliTube (for the first time for me). The drums were done with DrumGizmo using the CrocellKit.

I used Ardour to track, mix, and do all MIDI editing. (No more problems with MIDI for me in version 7.2!) The plugins were mostly LSP, x42, OvertoneDSP, and u-he.

I have no blog post for this one, as I am waiting for some tracks from a friend to make a final version, maybe with vocals. But I was impatient and recorded all the parts myself and thought I would go ahead and share it.

Let me know if you have any comments or suggestions. This might be one of my better mixes, but I still struggle with it and suggestions are always welcome!

I hope some of you will like it!

Impostor
Established Member

Re: Mayb I'm a Leo (Deep Purple cover)

Post by Impostor »

finotti wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:13 pm

I hope some of you will like it!

I do. Great guitarwork!

Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

As a long time Deep Purple fan, nice cover! I find the main riff a bit too "stiff", though: guitar and organ are playing too much of the same thing, when Blackmore used a bit more bending on the low strings to make the riff more "dynamic" (if I'm making any sense). I think the organ could be made a bit dirtier too, since Jon Lord often used Leslie and/or Marshalls to distort his Hammond. But I'm nitpicking of course: overall, it's a great cover and very well played as usual, especially the solo stuff!

finotti
Established Member

Post by finotti »

Hi, Rainmak3r!

Thanks for listening and commeting!

Rainmak3r wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:48 pm

As a long time Deep Purple fan, nice cover!

Thanks! I am huge fan too. In fact, I started playing the guitar because of Deep Purple!

I find the main riff a bit too "stiff", though: guitar and organ are playing too much of the same thing, when Blackmore used a bit more bending on the low strings to make the riff more "dynamic" (if I'm making any sense).

I agree 100%. It took me a while to record, since I had a lot of problems with noise, and ended up rerecording almost all of it a couple of times... When I went to mix and had the original as a reference and I noticed that the main riff lacked a lot of the feel and grove of the original... :-( I considered rerecording again, but decided to turn on the "good enough" mode instead, at least for now. :-)

When my collaborator sends his parts, I will likely try to record it again. I need a break for now, though. :-)

I think the organ could be made a bit dirtier too, since Jon Lord often used Leslie and/or Marshalls to distort his Hammond.

I actually had the Hammond with a lot more distortion and it did sound closer to the original. But it did not mix well with the guitars like I have. (Double tracked, panned hard left and right.) If I did like the original, with guitar panned to one side and Hammond to the other, it did sound good, but I like the mix better with the doubled guitar. In that setting I felt that less distortion blended better.

But I'm nitpicking of course: overall, it's a great cover and very well played as usual, especially the solo stuff!

Thank you so much! I really appreciate the support!

Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

finotti wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:43 pm

Thanks! I am huge fan too. In fact, I started playing the guitar because of Deep Purple!

Same here, or almost! I remember falling in love with hard rock after seeing a video of "I wanna rock" by Twisted Sisters as a kid: a cousin of mine then made me a tape which on one side had all Back in black by ACDC, and the other side was a greatest hits by Deep Purple, and I fell in love with it all.

I agree 100%. It took me a while to record, since I had a lot of problems with noise, and ended up rerecording almost all of it a couple of times... When I went to mix and had the original as a reference and I noticed that the main riff lacked a lot of the feel and grove of the original... :-( I considered rerecording again, but decided to turn on the "good enough" mode instead, at least for now. :-)

When my collaborator sends his parts, I will likely try to record it again. I need a break for now, though. :-)

Oh but it definitely is well enough, as I was saying it was just nitpicking, no big deal :mrgreen:

I actually had the Hammond with a lot more distortion and it did sound closer to the original. But it did not mix well with the guitars like I have. (Double tracked, panned hard left and right.) If I did like the original, with guitar panned to one side and Hammond to the other, it did sound good, but I like the mix better with the doubled guitar. In that setting I felt that less distortion blended better.

That's interesting! These days I'm indeed working on a more 70s oriented bunch of songs, and I did notice Blackmore was on the far left and Jon Lord on the far right, so the plan was to try and do the same thing (using HaNon B70 for the Hammond). I hadn't thought about whether it wouldn't sound good or powerful enough though. I guess I'll try both approaches and see which one I'll stay with.

jeanette_c
Established Member

Post by jeanette_c »

Hi @finotti , this is a good song and well recorded and mixed. I am impressed with the drum sound you got out of the Crocello kit. Especially the very direct and punchy snare.

--
distro: ArchLinux, DAW: Nama, MIDI sequencer: Midish
All my latest music on https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMS4rf ... 7jhC1Jnv7g
Albums, patches and Csound on http://juliencoder.de