Introducing onefang

Why not tell us a little bit about yourself? Welcome to the community!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

onefang
Established Member

Introducing onefang

Post by onefang »

I posted this as part of some other thread, but I guess I should introduce myself here.

I was studying music at school in the '60's and '70s, up to the end of high school, and singing in choirs as well as playing in school bands. I started playing recorder, which morphed into flute, then piccolo. Later my music teacher imported the first set of hand bells into Australia, so I learned that to. Bunch of us standing there with a tuned bell in each hand, when it came time to play one of your two notes, you rang it.

Then in the '80s I was working in R&D designing MIDI equipment, and hanging out with bands. So I got a decent grounding in what electronic musicians did late last century. These days I'm a semi-retired computer programmer and sysadmin.

I learn technical things REALLY quickly. Learning a programming language in an hour, being expert in it in a week. One of my bosses bought himself a fancy computerised motorised mixing desk, threw the manual at me, and said "I'll be back in an hour, teach me how to use it." and I did. At RMIT I found out I can't learn a computer language in a semester, that's just too slow. So they let me just sit the exam for that subject, I cracked open the text book an hour before, and got a perfect score. The electronics lecturer asked me to get something wrong in the exam for that subject, so I misspelled her name.

Couple of years ago I built myself a super desktop. AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3990X 64-Core CPU, 256 GB of RAM, etc. MSI Creator TRX40 motherboard which has a Realtek ALC1220 7.1 channel HD audio is the main sound chip, it feeds the sockets at the back. Also a ALC4050 is the USB front end for the ALC1220, as well as feeding the front panel microphone and headphone sockets and the S/PDIF output on the back. I don't have any other S/PDIF equipment. Somewhere mixed in with that is an internal speaker / buzzer output which I don't think I plugged into anything. I also have a Plantronics RIG, which is a sorta mini mixer / USB sound card combo. The AMD graphics card has SIX audio devices, even though it only has four physical outputs, two Display Ports and two HDMI. One of my monitors has some crappy little speakers on the bottom, I wasn't buying it for the sound quality.

End of last year I stumbled across a MIDI keyboard Alesis V25 that a neighbour had thrown out. It had been sitting in a box outside soaking in dirty water coz it had rained and the box had other garbage in it. I pulled it apart, dried it, cleaned it, regreased it, put it back together, it works perfectly, and the lady who threw it out said I could keep it. I had been thinking for a while that I should buy something like this, read the reviews, lots of which used the word "durable", and if I had bought one, this model would have been on my short list. So starting New Years Eve (while I've been on holiday) I started learning how to play it and learning about all this fancy new music software that didn't exist in the '80s, plus relearning music theory. Including JACK stuff, and I use ALSA as the backend. BTW my holiday ends next week.

I tried a bunch of DAWs, using a MIDI file of Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells as my torture test. Most of them couldn't handle it. I have so far settled on using MusE.

So I've been working on a cover for Pink Floyd's "Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun", to relearn musical theory, practice my new keyboard playing skills, and get familiar with the software. Mine will be titled "Set the controls for the drum and the bass" and I've modified the lyrics to be about climate change. I'll likely work on another Pink Floyd cover next, "Another bug in the code", I already wrote the modified lyrics.

Outside of music I do a lot of stuff with OpenSim based virtual worlds and the code for that. Basically that's this new "metaverse" hype, except most of what they hype about metaverse has been in OpenSim for over a decade. OpenSim is an open source write from scratch of the Second Life server. The viewers are compatible, but anyone can run a world now. And travel between worlds, bringing your avatar and stuff with you, chatting with friends between worlds, etc. I have been paid in the past to work on that stuff.

I'm the package mirror herder for Devuan Linux.

Last edited by onefang on Sat Apr 08, 2023 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

I prefer to be known as a figment of the 'nets imagination, living in the future, waiting for the rest of you to catch up.
Notes from Untalenz, an untalented old muso https://Untalenz.rocks/

Basslint
Established Member

Re: Introducing onefang

Post by Basslint »

Thank you for sharing your detailed bio with us! Welcome :D

The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
onefang
Established Member

Post by onefang »

Now I have a web site for notes about my music. https://Untalenz.rocks/ Very much a work in progress.

I prefer to be known as a figment of the 'nets imagination, living in the future, waiting for the rest of you to catch up.
Notes from Untalenz, an untalented old muso https://Untalenz.rocks/

bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

onefang wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:13 pm

These days I'm a semi-retired computer programmer and sysadmin.

That sounds cool. I’d like to be semi-retired in a way that I still get the money each month but don’t have to work anymore.

Then I might feel like upgrading my Xubuntu 16 16.04.7 LTS :mrgreen:

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/