Calf EQ Plugin Analyzer Graph Not Showing in Carla

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

RyanH
Established Member

Calf EQ Plugin Analyzer Graph Not Showing in Carla

Post by RyanH »

I see that someone started a thread about a somewhat similar issue, but not identical, and not with Carla, so I'm starting a separate thread rather than polluting that one.

I'm trying to use one of the Calf EQ plugins through Carla, and the graphical analyzer is missing. The rest of the UI looks normal. I haven't found much online about this issue, but what I did find was from 2016. Toggling off "Use UI bridges..." in the settings doesn't change anything.

Is this issue still not fixed? The analyzer works in QTractor.

I'm using Ubuntu Studio 22.04 (which uses Plasma, if that makes a difference). It comes with Carla 2.4.3.

Any suggestions would be helpful. It would be not at all surprising if I overlooked something. :P

Impostor
Established Member

Re: Calf EQ Plugin Analyzer Graph Not Showing in Carla

Post by Impostor »

Even worse is Carla 2.5.3: that crashes every time when trying to open any Calf GUI. But the "fix" should be made on Calf's side, which uses an old GTK version.

You could use Ildaeil instead of Carla. Works for me.

Kirtai
Established Member

Post by Kirtai »

You could try Calf's own host "calfjackhost". It works here on EndeavourOS (Arch derivative).

RyanH
Established Member

Post by RyanH »

Thanks, @Kirtai and @Impostor. I'll have to checkc these out. Neither program is in the Ubuntu Studio repo, so I'll have to do some research. Are they both as simple as installing, or do they have to be configured in some way?

Carla is a pretty awesome tool - too bad about the recent issues. When I first installed Ubuntu Studio 22.04, the included version of Carla also wasn't able to find new plugins, but someone in another thread linked to a later version where that was fixed. Phew!

Cheers.

Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

RyanH wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:14 am

Thanks, @Kirtai and @Impostor. I'll have to checkc these out. Neither program is in the Ubuntu Studio repo, so I'll have to do some research. Are they both as simple as installing, or do they have to be configured in some way?

Carla is a pretty awesome tool - too bad about the recent issues. When I first installed Ubuntu Studio 22.04, the included version of Carla also wasn't able to find new plugins, but someone in another thread linked to a later version where that was fixed. Phew!

Cheers.

If you've installed Calf Studio Gear, the standalone appears (in my Mint menu) as "calf plugin pack for jack". The exec is "calfjackhost".

For Ildaeil I've just extracted the vst plugin from the zip (from github) and put them in my user plugin folders. In the version which is now available on kx.studio, the Calf GUIs are broken too, it seems.

Edit: forget it. I deleted the new kx version, copied the old github one back, and now I've lost Calf's graphs too, where it worked fine before......

Edit 2: Well, I deleted all cache files I could find, rebooted the pc, drank some coffee, and now the graphs are back. I never imagined coffee could be the solution, but there you have it.

Edit 3: The Ildaeil version 1.2 which currently works for me, I apparently got from its github page. You could try that. With coffee of course.

Works:
https://github.com/DISTRHO/Ildaeil/rele ... 4-v1.2.zip

Not works:
https://launchpad.net/~kxstudio-debian/ ... _amd64.deb

RyanH
Established Member

Post by RyanH »

Impostor wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:22 am

If you've installed Calf Studio Gear, the standalone appears (in my Mint menu) as "calf plugin pack for jack". The exec is "calfjackhost".

For Ildaeil I've just extracted the vst plugin from the zip (from github) and put them in my user plugin folders. In the version which is now available on kx.studio, the Calf GUIs are broken too, it seems.

Edit: forget it. I deleted the new kx version, copied the old github one back, and now I've lost Calf's graphs too, where it worked fine before......

Edit 2: Well, I deleted all cache files I could find, rebooted the pc, drank some coffee, and now the graphs are back. I never imagined coffee could be the solution, but there you have it.

Edit 3: The Ildaeil version 1.2 which currently works for me, I apparently got from its github page. You could try that. With coffee of course.

Works:
https://github.com/DISTRHO/Ildaeil/rele ... 4-v1.2.zip

Not works:
https://launchpad.net/~kxstudio-debian/ ... _amd64.deb

Haha, in my experience, coffee is always the solution. In fact, I'm having one right now... and upon opening LinuxMusicians, found your solution. Cheers!

You just pointed out to me something that has been staring me in the face for months or years. I've seen calf plugin pack for jack come up a million times when searching my system. Never clicked it because I just assumed it referred to the package of plugins, not a program. Thanks for that, and for the works/not-works links. :)

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

RyanH wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:07 am

Haha, in my experience, coffee is always the solution. In fact, I'm having one right now... and upon opening LinuxMusicians, found your solution. Cheers!

You just pointed out to me something that has been staring me in the face for months or years. I've seen calf plugin pack for jack come up a million times when searching my system. Never clicked it because I just assumed it referred to the package of plugins, not a program. Thanks for that, and for the works/not-works links. :)

From my personal tips 'n hints files:

You can let the Calf (LV2) plugins show up in Qjackctl as Jack-Midi devices. That is, not as Alsa-Midi. This may be handy for Reaper because that DAW does not show Calf GUI's properly (something w/ GTK2 and X11...). Command:

Code: Select all

calfjackhost

A window will pop up. It's like a rack in which you can add Calf stuff. They will show up in Qjackctl as audio devices and a Jack-Midi IN (not Alsa-Midi) devices.

References:

[1] Linuxmusicians forum topic in which calfjackhost is briefly mentioned:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=23216&hilit=calfjackhost&start=60

RyanH
Established Member

Post by RyanH »

Linuxmusician01 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:50 am

From my personal tips 'n hints files:

You can let the Calf (LV2) plugins show up in Qjackctl as Jack-Midi devices. That is, not as Alsa-Midi. This may be handy for Reaper because that DAW does not show Calf GUI's properly (something w/ GTK2 and X11...). Command:

Code: Select all

calfjackhost

A window will pop up. It's like a rack in which you can add Calf stuff. They will show up in Qjackctl as audio devices and a Jack-Midi IN (not Alsa-Midi) devices.

References:

[1] Linuxmusicians forum topic in which calfjackhost is briefly mentioned:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=23216&hilit=calfjackhost&start=60

Thanks! Opening the Calf Plugin Pack for Jack that Impostor mentioned actually opens Calf Studio Gear... not sure why it's not just called that in the program list. :lol:

This is great! I like that everything is properly named in both the Audio and Jack Midi tabs, and even better... I can see those beautiful waves bouncing again in the EQ analyzer.

Thanks everyone!