New plugin for Euclidean Rhythms

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

Bruno Unna
Established Member

New plugin for Euclidean Rhythms

Post by Bruno Unna »

Hello, fellow musicians.

I’ve just released the first version of my own LV2 plugin to generate Euclidean rhythms.

The suggested pattern of use (at least in Ardour) is:

1. Create a MIDI track. Use some drumkit as the instrument (I recommend any of the excellent x42 AVL drumkits).

2. Create several MIDI buses, with no instrument.

3. Add an instance of the Euclidean rhythms plugin in each of MIDI buses.

4. Route the output of each MIDI bus to the MIDI track with the drumkit.

5. Record, and enjoy!

I’ve recorded a short demo of the plugin. I may try to record more videos later, especially as new features are added.

If you don't feel like compiling it yourself (it's very easy), OpenSUSE is the first distribution for which there is a package. If I get some time, arch-linux will follow this weekend.

I hope ye all find it useful, and have fun with it. Comments, suggestions, constructive critique, always welcome.

tavasti
Established Member

Re: New plugin for Euclidean Rhythms

Post by tavasti »

Bruno Unna wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:05 pm

I’ve recorded a short demo of the plugin. I may try to record more videos later, especially as new features are added.

Interesting, but leave that metronome out.

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

I like the theory behind it. I dislike ready-made music though.

Largos
Established Member

Post by Largos »

Impostor wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:55 pm

In that case, whatever you do, never ever press a play button.

Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

Largos wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:08 pm
Impostor wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:55 pm

In that case, whatever you do, never ever press a play button.

Ha! Good catch :)

JamesFrederik
Established Member

Post by JamesFrederik »

Cool plugin.

Built it on Fedora 36 Workstation.

Installed by copying to ~/.lv2

Tested in BespokeSynth.

Working nicely, standing up to lots of LFO abuse on all parameters.

Cheers.

Bruno Unna
Established Member

Post by Bruno Unna »

JamesFrederik wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:57 pm

Cool plugin.

Built it on Fedora 36 Workstation.

Installed by copying to ~/.lv2

Tested in BespokeSynth.

Working nicely, standing up to lots of LFO abuse on all parameters.

Cheers.

Amazing, thank you for testing it! Also, you've piqued my interest in Bespoke Synth. Almost all of my development was done using Ardour as the host, so I'm really very happy that it works in a different DAW. The magic of LV2, I suppose. :D

JamesFrederik
Established Member

Post by JamesFrederik »

yes Bespoke is really nice, LV2 support is I think quite recent, the way Bespoke lets you easily create a slider and then add an LFO has opened up a load of LV2 I previously ignored. I find Ardour a bit heavy going for getting a few beats going.

I was thinking, though, that a euclidean module with a GUI like this one https://community.vcvrack.com/t/euclidian-module/12051

would look nice in the Ardour track strip thing, it looks very much like the multispeaker GUI thing when you have a multichannel track.

I'm not sure if that's possible for plugins to add custom gui to ardour though.

glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

Hi, Bruno, thanks for sharing this new tool! I've been using it in linux Reaper, and it's a nice new way
to consider building music. I loaded 7 instances with various AVL drumkit sounds, and experimented with the settings.
Then I replaced two of the drum kits with Surge XT, and Zebralette, and added a cold drone pad, and deep pulsing bass...
Very flexible possibilities!

I noticed the 'Note To Play' slider changes the drum instrument selection in the AVL kits, but in some synths,
it alters the pitch of the note. Could an extra slider be added, that would differentiate between plugins like
the Red Zeppelin kit, and a full synth like Surge XT or Yoshimi? That could make things more flexible,
and perhaps save some international lanuage issues in some cases.

I think a good side effect of your tool, will be to expose various midi instrument code as having bugs,
or behaviors that could use extending or modifying to meet new use cases. I'm definitely not a coder,
so thanks for sharing your skills and results!

I use debian AVLinux, and I extracted the euclidean .rpm using file-roller, and copied it to /home/me/.lv2, where Reaper found and scanned it)
Cheers

Bruno Unna
Established Member

Post by Bruno Unna »

JamesFrederik wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:10 pm

yes Bespoke is really nice, LV2 support is I think quite recent, the way Bespoke lets you easily create a slider and then add an LFO has opened up a load of LV2 I previously ignored. I find Ardour a bit heavy going for getting a few beats going.

I was thinking, though, that a euclidean module with a GUI like this one https://community.vcvrack.com/t/euclidian-module/12051

would look nice in the Ardour track strip thing, it looks very much like the multispeaker GUI thing when you have a multichannel track.

I'm not sure if that's possible for plugins to add custom gui to ardour though.

Good question. Truth is: I don't know. But I've seen several very neat user interfaces, that I believe could be stolen. The one I have in mind specifically is LSP. I think I'll mock something, as a drawing, and then, if that makes sense, will try to implement.

Bruno Unna
Established Member

Post by Bruno Unna »

glowrak guy wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:22 am

I noticed the 'Note To Play' slider changes the drum instrument selection in the AVL kits, but in some synths,
it alters the pitch of the note. Could an extra slider be added, that would differentiate between plugins like
the Red Zeppelin kit, and a full synth like Surge XT or Yoshimi? That could make things more flexible,
and perhaps save some international lanuage issues in some cases.

Oh, that is due to the fact that in MIDI-land, every note event has to have a pitch associated to it. In the case of instruments like piano, or synth, or guitar, the pitch in the note is played as the corresponding pitch in the instrument. No magic here. However, for instruments like a drum kit, the concept of pitch is useless. What those instruments do is that they map the pitch in the note to be played to a particular sound within the kit. It's better explained in the wikipedia (scroll down to the section called Percussion).

At some point, it would be nice if the user interface of the plugin could show what element of a drum kit is going to be played, instead of the pitch that will be send to some instrument. But the plugin has no way to know, you see, what instrument will be used to play what it produces! That's an open problem that will need to be tackled at some point. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

Thanks for the nice detailed explanation, map, and link 8)

sadko4u
Established Member

Post by sadko4u »

Bruno Unna wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:57 pm

Amazing, thank you for testing it! Also, you've piqued my interest in Bespoke Synth. Almost all of my development was done using Ardour as the host, so I'm really very happy that it works in a different DAW. The magic of LV2, I suppose. :D

Why do you need to steal something if there is a toolkit library which can be used for development?

https://github.com/lsp-plugins/lsp-tk-lib

LSP (Linux Studio Plugins) Developer and Maintainer.
Bruno Unna
Established Member

Post by Bruno Unna »

sadko4u wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:01 pm
Bruno Unna wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:57 pm

Why do you need to steal something if there is a toolkit library which can be used for development?

https://github.com/lsp-plugins/lsp-tk-lib

I know that I don't need to steal anything, being (as I am) a big proponent of FOSS everywhere I go. I use that word just as a manner of speech, trying to be fun, and utterly failing, it seems.

Thanks for the reference! Something like this toolkit is, indeed, what I had in mind. LSP is what I want my plugin to look like, for I find those plugins neat, well designed, and very efficient.

Bruno Unna
Established Member

Post by Bruno Unna »

For anyone interested, I've added a parameter to the plugin, with the (integer) number of bars that the Euclidean pattern is going to occupy. I hope that captures what's been discussed so far.

If interested, you can checkout/pull the branch develop (which is the default anyway), and compile/install. Feedback would be great to have.

For what it's worth, I've created also a discussion section in the github page of the project, though I'll be monitoring this forum anyway.