Calf Organ as a combo organ base synth

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

giovanni_bdv
Established Member

Calf Organ as a combo organ base synth

Post by giovanni_bdv »

Hi,
My name is Giovanni and I'm from Brazil. So, sorry about my poor English.

I'm planning on making a combo organ style keyboard, with dual 61-keys manual and future pedals.
The idea is to use a old laptop with a linux distro and some MIDI controllers to manage some organ emulations.

I would love to have a Hammond-like sound, a VOX-like sound, a Firfisa-like sound and a church organ sound.
The ideia is to make the controlls, features a style like the Yamaha YC-25D (https://youtu.be/BXWxs1lglBk). I'm a Yamaha fanboy.

But I'm new on virtual instruments and MIDI connections of any kind. I'm in the state of experimenting some softwares and sounds.
I found some different emulators like: Setbfree, Foo-Yc20 and Bristol VOX300. But it seens to be a complex task to manage all the diferrent software on some MIDI fisical controllers.

So I would like to know if I can use the Calf Organ as a base synth to generate the sound for all the inputs (manuals and pedals) and process the sound in some of its effects. But I can't insert the harmonics, as are on this image https://www.hammondtoday.com/wp-content ... wbars.jpeg on Calf drawbars. Can anyone help me?

Kirtai
Established Member

Re: Calf Organ as a combo organ base synth

Post by Kirtai »

I can't help with the setup but Aeolus is a good source for the pipe/church organ sound.

giovanni_bdv
Established Member

Post by giovanni_bdv »

Thanks to the support Kirtai.

That is one I will test. Thanks so much.

slangbein
Established Member

Post by slangbein »

but it seens to be a complex task to manage all the
diferrent software on some MIDI fisical controllers.

First of all, your english is better then my portugese:-)
I do mixed recording of audio/ MIDI and have my DAW Reaper on Linux Mint Cinnamon handle all the details like "which sound should be triggered with which note an which MIDI channel".

your workflow seems like a live setup. I hear people connecting your midi controller to a sound like setbfree via a Jack matrix (Qjackctl, cadence etc.). There you have a visual view which input you connect with which output.
Or lately Pipewire which seems easier to setup then Jack

giovanni_bdv
Established Member

Post by giovanni_bdv »

Thanks Slangbein!

My idea is a live set-up.

I'm a church musician. Every Saturday night I play in the prayer meetings.

I own a Yamaha P-105 entry-level digital piano. It's a good feeling keyboard, but weak of sounds. The ideia is to make a combo organ style MIDI controller to complement the set-up.

I will search about Pipe wire.

Thanks so much for the support.

tseaver
Established Member

Post by tseaver »

You could probably use a Carla patchbay to accomplish your goal, e.g. the attached screenshot.

In this layout, the MIDI keyboard sends all MIDI events to these three plugins:

• the setBfree organ is listening to MIDI channels 1 - 3 (two keyboard registers and the pedals), which is its default configuration.
  • the MIDI Channel Map plugin is listening to MIDI channel 4, and converting it to channel 1 to send on to the Yoshimi synth.
  • the Pianoteq plugin is configured to listen to MIDI channel 5.

I can thus switch between them on my MIDI keyboard by incrementing / decrementing the MIDI channel it is sending.

Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (219.38 KiB) Viewed 1081 times
Ubuntu, Mixbus32C; acoustic blues / country / jazz
j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

Kirtai wrote:

Aeolus is a good source for the pipe/church organ sound.

It seems that the OP is going to be doing some custom design work, in which case he'll likely need to modify any source code to his needs. With that in mind, I strongly urge him to avoid any source code written by Fons Adriaensen (of which Aeolus is an example).

Although Adriaensen (mistakenly) licences his source code under the GPL, he has a history of throwing public tantrums denouncing anyone who dare rewrite his source code. He's ok if you use the source as is, but if you dare to alter his precious code, this self-important narcisist will typically have a meltdown accusing others of committing some sort of personal, moral/ethical transgression against him for the act of making changes to the code. I wish he wouldn't mistakenly license his code under the GPL, because he obviously doesn't understand that the entire raison d'etre of the GPL is to allow/encourage others to modify the source to suit their needs. Adriaensen's attitude is in direct opposition to the spirit of the GPL, and by licensing his software under the GPL, he gives it a bad representation to other developers. He needs to stop abusing the GPL, and switch to a proprietary license that properly conveys his actual intent toward use of his code.

And frankly, he's a poor programmer. I have no problem with the algorithms he employs, but when it comes to coding, he's bad at it. His error-checking is poor to non-existent. He does unnecessary data conversion/copying. He never checks his memory allocations, and I've found memory leaks in his code (so you don't want to use it on a small memory device like a Raspberry). He inadequately comments/documents his code. This, plus his attitude toward use of his code (for example his opposition to making lv2 plugins of his standalone executables), make me recommend developers avoid anything associated with him.

Author of BackupBand at https://sourceforge.net/projects/backupband/files/
My fans show their support by mentioning my name in their signature.

giovanni_bdv
Established Member

Post by giovanni_bdv »

Thanks tseaver and j_e_f_f_g from the support.

I will search a little more about MIDI Channel Map and Carla. If a need any customization, I will not use Aeolus.

I explored a little more in the Calf Organ. I found a way to configure the drawbars like a Hammond organ.
To explain a little more: I used a pitch guessing tool to verify what is the note that is played according to the number in the harmonic selection.

Now I have others problem: the waveforms to simulate a Vox like organ and a Fafisa like organ.

Thanks all to the support.