Can't use outputs of Behringer UMC204HD

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

lostplaceballast
Established Member

Can't use outputs of Behringer UMC204HD

Post by lostplaceballast »

I've lurked for a while but I finally found a problem I can't solve. I have a Behringer UMC 204HD, on the current version of Pop_OS (which uses Pipewire natively), and I'm using mostly Bitwig Studio. I can't for the life of me get sound out of the 204's outputs.

My OS's audio settings give me a Front L and R and a Rear L and R, but none of those output sound when I try them. I've tried messing around with wireplumber and qwtlgraph with no results. Since the 204 is a commonly recommended interface for Linux, I was wondering if anyone has encountered this issue.

I'd prefer not to switch off Pipewire if possible, since it works so well otherwise.

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Re: Can't use outputs of Behringer UMC204HD

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

Hmmm. I've got no experience (yet) w/ PipeWire and I don't use Bitwig. Can you hear anything out of the Behringer 204 if you use a genreal music player, or Youtube etc?

Spanner
Established Member

Post by Spanner »

Hello,

I just got a Behringer UMC404HD on which initially I thought I experienced this exact problem.

What I found is that the UNC404HD's output is unexpectedly much lower in volume than with my other interfaces.

I turned up the main output control knob and set the mix control knob appropriately. Immediately, I heard sound.

I hope this helps.

sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

Pipewire is just a layer on top of ALSA. Check if outputs are unmuted and turned up in alsamixer.

lostplaceballast
Established Member

Post by lostplaceballast »

For clarification, I was never struggling with headphone output. All non-DAW playback worked fine. I was trying to get sound out of the outputs for using hardware effects. Setting up send/returns and that sort of thing.

After struggling with this a few weeks ago, I had left it alone. This past week, I saw a Pipewire update in my OS updates and thought nothing of it. Today, I boot up my settings, try the same signal chain that had failed me in the past, and it just works!

For anyone who encounters this problem, here's my setup. I'm using the "Playback Outputs" on the back of the UMC204HD. Those 4 RCA outputs correspond to Front Left, Front Right, Rear Left, and Rear Right on my setup (1, 2, 3, and 4). Then, in Bitwig's Audio settings, I set two outputs to go to the Rear L/R, since Headphone monitoring goes through the Front L/R. Now I have sound through those outputs.

I had kept an eye on the Pipewire changelog and didn't think I'd see anything that would fix this issue, and I really was using the same exact signal chain as when I'd tried previously. Either way I'm glad it works!

martibs
Established Member

Post by martibs »

sunrat wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:20 pm

Check if outputs are unmuted and turned up in alsamixer.

I struggled with this problem over the weekend, on my Behringer UMC1820 device. For some reason, the volume of the first recording stereo channel was turned all the way down to zero in alsamixer. I use Jack and never touch alsamixer, so it took me a whole day to figure out what had happened.