JSFX plugin for Reaper. MIDI XY Pad Controller.

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

Trobs
Established Member

JSFX plugin for Reaper. MIDI XY Pad Controller.

Post by Trobs »

Hi all. Well, first of all a little bit about myself. I am a professional tattoo artist and have been doing it almost my whole life, it's probably inappropriate to talk about it here, but I want you to understand that music is my hobby and passion.
To tell the truth, I haven't been making music for a long time, the last track I made a year ago, maybe more. I am trying to program relatively not so long ago, to be exact from the beginning of 2020, with varying success and long pauses in learning. It is not too much to say that Vladimir Sadovnikov also known as sadko4u, the person who created, creates and maintains LSP Project - Linux Studio Plugins, was mostly involved in the learning process. A moment of advertising, but what advertising if it is an opensource project :)) Plugins are currently only available for Linux users, but as far as I know, in the near future there will be versions for Windows too. In general, amazing quality free plugins. I recommend them to everyone.

So, my programming skills are pretty basic, but nevertheless I was able to understand reascript, or JSFX and created this plugin.

I got the idea for this plugin after watching videos of Mr. Frenkie's channel. Vyacheslav, if you come here by chance, you are a great teacher and musician, probably the best in terms of video tutorials I have seen.

So, in one of his tutorials I saw how with a virtual midi keyboard Bitwig Studio in special mode (MPE, I think), "Mr. Frenkie" quickly created a long chewing snarling sample, from which then cut awesome drum and bass. I wanted to do something similar, but in a ripper.

I tried witty's X Y Pad, with the X and Y mapping to the pitch and cutoff, and it worked, but I wanted more, so I started to dig deeper and figure out how to do it. I don't remember the exact date, but I think it took me about a year to figure it all out. (This is probably the reason why I didn't make music in the first place.) Yes, not fast, but I must say that I wasn't able to devote all my time to this project, since I have my main job and other things to worry about in general.

When I started making the plugin, I didn't think that I will put it on the web, but it is very interesting and perhaps someone else would like to make music with it. If so, and you like it, let me know by writing a few lines in the comments below.

What I can say for sure, I'm done with this project, I give it away as is, and what to add or change, I have no desire, I suffered enough.
The plugin is stable and tested. At least on my system, Linux Mint 19.1 Reaper 6.71.

Below you will find a video and a screenshot explaining how the plugin works.

https://youtu.be/1iNjvuKShbQ

MIDI X Y PAD Controller - This is a midi controller that allows you to control your synthesizer in an unusual way and create interesting sounds. It is made for recording long sound bubblegum, from which you can create interesting samples. Basically I made this plugin for d'n'b tracks.

1. Change mode buttons - active in all modes. Change modes.
  2. Note indicator - active in all modes. Shows notes, start note of scale, and number of octave.
  3. This is what the pad looks like in "One Note" mode.
  4. This is what the pad looks like in "Grid" and "Grid Pitch" modes.
  5. This is what the pad looks like in "Pitch Wheel" mode.
  6. Panic button - active in all modes. Send midi message offnote for all notes in all channels.
  7. Change theme color - active in all modes. You can choose between red and gray, monochrome scheme.
  8. Short info and hints - active in all modes. Information about, how to use plugin.
  9. "Pitch Wheel Mouse" buttons - active only in "Grid" mode. "Each" sets for every slide step fixed delay, "Divide" divides the delay between all slide steps, "Off" disable this function.
  10. "Return" button - active only in "Grid" mode. Makes the pitch value to return to the center.
  11. "Delay" buttons of "Pitch Wheel Mouse" function - active only in "Grid" mode. Sets value of delay in milliseconds.
  12. "Steps" buttons of "Pitch Wheel Mouse" function - active only in "Grid" mode. Sets the amount of steps per mouse wheel step.
  13. "Slide Delay" buttons - active only in "Grid" mode. "Each" gives for every slide note fixed delay, "Divide" divide delay between all slide notes, "Off" disable this function.
  14. "Delay" buttons of "Slide Delay" function - active only in "Grid" mode. Sets value of delay in milliseconds.
  15. "Pitch Dimension" - active only in "Pitch Wheel" and "Grid Pitch" modes. This controls how many semitones up or down the sound will change at the end values of the pitch wheel.
  16. "Octave Range" buttons - active in all modes, except "Pitch Wheel" mode. Sets the start and end octave.
  17. "Octave Selection" buttons - active only in "Pitch Wheel" mode. Sets the main octave.
  18. Piano roll - active in all modes. Shows playing note, octave start and octave end.
  19. "Reverse" button of "Mod Wheel and Cutoff" function - active in all modes, except "Grid" mode. Inverts the direction of movement of the mod Wheel and cutoff.
  20. "CC74 Cutoff" button - active in all modes, except "Grid" mode. Enables or disables pad binding.
  21. "Mod Wheel" button - active in all modes, except "Grid" mode. Enables or disables pad binding.
  22. "Cut" wheel - active in all modes. Shows "CC74 Cutoff" values, and sets the values to "CC74 Cutoff", when the button "CC74 Cutoff" is off.
  23. "Mod" wheel - active in all modes. Shows "Mod Wheel" values, and sets the values to "Mod Wheel", when the button "Mod Wheel" is off.
  24. "Pitch" wheel - active in all modes, except "One Note" mode. Shows pitch value.
  25. "Pitch Quantize" button - active only in "Pitch Wheel" and "Grid Pitch" modes. Enables or disables quantize function.
  26. "Only Scaled" button - active only in "Grid" mode. Allows to show only the notes from the scale.
  27. "Single Note" button - active only in "One Note" mode. Switching between playing only one note or notes from the scale
  28. "Note Key Scales" - active in all modes, except "Grid Pitch" mode. Switching between scales, including custom scales.
  29. "Main Note Selection" - active in all modes, except "Grid Pitch" mode. Allows to set main none, start note of scale, custom scales.

How to install the plugin?

Now you can install plugin via "ReaPack", just update and find it by name.

Or download it from here, and put it to the folder Effects. For example I have this path "/home/username/.config/REAPER/Effects". Restart "Reaper", or update JSFX Plugins (FX on track -> Add -> FX -> Scan for new plugins). Add the plugin to the effects section. FX on track -> Add -> Search for the plugin by the name MIDI XY Pad Controller.

Sorry for the off-topic, the minute of advertising, and not the folding of the text, as they say "my English is perfect".

Audiojunkie
Established Member

Re: JSFX plugin for Reaper. MIDI XY Pad Controller.

Post by Audiojunkie »

It looks like you've done a really good job! :D Unfortunately, there isn't enough contract for me to see everything well enough to know what's going on. Please don't take this as an insult in any way--I love any new Linux plugins. I just want to let you know in a constructive way that I can't see what's going on on the screen. :)

Trobs
Established Member

Post by Trobs »

Audiojunkie wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:16 pm

It looks like you've done a really good job! :D Unfortunately, there isn't enough contract for me to see everything well enough to know what's going on. Please don't take this as an insult in any way--I love any new Linux plugins. I just want to let you know in a constructive way that I can't see what's going on on the screen. :)

Are u user of Reaper Daw? For now, its plugin only for this DAW.
Have you seen the video link I attached above?

This is VIDEO :)

LAM
Established Member

Post by LAM »

Awesome project @Trobs! Thanks for sharing it. :D

I can confirm it works in Ardour and BespokeSynth too, using @jpcima's ysfx.

Here's a little test I made: XY_MIDI

in mix, nobody can hear your screen

Trobs
Established Member

Post by Trobs »

Its Amazing!!!