ChaffVerb plugin

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

GMoon
Established Member

ChaffVerb plugin

Post by GMoon »

ChaffVerb is an audio plugin utilizing pitch shifting, echo and reverb, for creating sounds ranging from shimmers to whale songs.

There's Linux builds in the "Releases" section, in LV2, VST, VST3 and CLAP formats.

ChaffVerb page

ChaffVerb was created with Pure Data, and the updated heavy hvcc compiler for Pd patches.

Thx!

sysrqer
Established Member

Re: ChaffVerb plugin

Post by sysrqer »

Very interesting reverb, it makes some crazy sounds.

GMoon
Established Member

Post by GMoon »

sysrqer wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:04 pm

Very interesting reverb, it makes some crazy sounds.

Yeah, it can do subtle, like shimmers, but also gets crazy if you let it. Thx :)

Rodney
Established Member

Post by Rodney »

GMoon wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:39 pm

ChaffVerb is an audio plugin utilizing pitch shifting, echo and reverb, for creating sounds ranging from shimmers to whale songs.

There's Linux builds in the "Releases" section, in LV2, VST, VST3 and CLAP formats.

ChaffVerb page

ChaffVerb was created with Pure Data, and the updated heavy hvcc compiler for Pd patches.

Thx!

:D Awesome! Definitely checking it out, thank you very much for this! So far for the shimmer I was using Shiroverb, but unfortunately it's not recognized by Guitarix, hopefully this one will be.

sjzstudio
Established Member

Post by sjzstudio »

These don't seem to work on my Mixbus 32C/Avlinux MXE setup. Found the LV2 version, but it doesn't install on the track. Mixbus does not recognize VST7VTS3 versions at all.

GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

sjzstudio wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:23 pm

These don't seem to work on my Mixbus 32C/Avlinux MXE setup. Found the LV2 version, but it doesn't install on the track. Mixbus does not recognize VST7VTS3 versions at all.

Very often plugin developers porting to Linux grab the latest Arch or Ubuntu release and use that, this often means that the libc6 libraries are much newer in the compiled Plugin binary than mature Distros like Debian Stable (and Ubuntu LTS releases) will support. I haven't tried this particular Plugin but 9.87 times out of 10 that is the issue..

We need to tell Plugin developers 2 things regarding Linux: (1) Please support and provide Linux binaries and (2) Please use a Stable/LTS (or better oldstable) development platform to ensure they are as compatible as possible, it will save both you and your prospective Users a lot of headaches...

sjzstudio
Established Member

Post by sjzstudio »

GMaq wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:11 pm

Very often plugin developers porting to Linux grab the latest Arch or Ubuntu release and use that, this often means that the libc6 libraries are much newer in the compiled Plugin binary than mature Distros like Debian Stable (and Ubuntu LTS releases) will support. I haven't tried this particular Plugin but 9.87 times out of 10 that is the issue..

We need to tell Plugin developers 2 things regarding Linux: (1) Please support and provide Linux binaries and (2) Please use a Stable/LTS (or better oldstable) development platform to ensure they are as compatible as possible, it will save both you and your prospective Users a lot of headaches...

It's certainly true. It's a pretty bad idea to undermine stability and functionality, if you could achieve it by using what has been proven to work. Someone could put together guidelines for good practice to achieve the best possible functionality on most systems.

GMoon
Established Member

Post by GMoon »

RE: the conversation already in progress -- yeah, I usually include a build made on an older debian distro (on an aging laptop). I'll be happy to do that, presently.

If that doesn't fix the issue, I'll let the current maintainer of hvcc know.

GMoon
Established Member

Post by GMoon »

Rodney wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:59 pm

:D Awesome! Definitely checking it out, thank you very much for this! So far for the shimmer I was using Shiroverb, but unfortunately it's not recognized by Guitarix, hopefully this one will be.

Let me know how it works, for sure. I'd have to build Guitarix from source to test it, I removed all the JACK2 libraries (replaced with pipewire), and Ubuntu keeps JACK as a dependency, even though pipewire replaces it very well.

GMoon
Established Member

Post by GMoon »

artix_linux_user wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:36 pm

and of course there are nice plugins with funky wierd names

You're not wrong about the name :wink:

Military jargon aside, it's also the powdered husks from winnowed grain. Basically, a cloud of cast-off particles...

GMoon
Established Member

Post by GMoon »

sjzstudio reports that the alternate builds seem to resolve the issues with Mixbus and the plugin (probably new vs old system libraries).

GMoon
Established Member

Post by GMoon »

A small update today for ChaffVerb to v0.2.3:

• The "general" LFO wasn't initializing correctly
  • The default activation state for that LFO is now 'OFF'

Plugin builds are updated also.

miuzik
Established Member

Post by miuzik »

These words are pure wisdom.

Thanks @GMaq