Bluetooth speaker app

This section is dedicated to applications and configurations for the Google Android OS.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

danboid
Established Member

Bluetooth speaker app

Post by danboid »

I'm looking for an app to turn my Android phone into a bluetooth speaker so that another phone (without an audio jack eg a iphone) would be able to pair with my phone and play audio via my phone without installing any extra software on the other phone. Ideally it would support AptX HD Bluetooth audio.

Does anyone know of such an app?

bluzee
Established Member

Re: Bluetooth speaker app

Post by bluzee »

I'm not sure if that is even possible. I think Bluetooth has to have the right hardware to act as a speaker. If the Android phone supports BT speaker it would already show when you pair.

danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

It should be possible. I can do this on my TV box / laptop etc with a regular BT adapter by running Pulseaudio and its BT plugin. I realise Android doesn't use pulseaudio but I don't see why this shouldn't be doable.

bluzee
Established Member

Post by bluzee »

Pair your phone with your laptop then in Blueman right mouse on the phone and select info. If there is a UUID in there for Audio Sink then you are good to go. If not I think you have to look at a software solution over wifi.

danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

bluzee wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 10:25 pm

Pair your phone with your laptop then in Blueman right mouse on the phone and select info. If there is a UUID in there for Audio Sink then you are good to go. If not I think you have to look at a software solution over wifi.

I know how to use a Linux box as a BT speaker for a phone. I've got that working for both PA and ALSA. I'm wanting to use an Android phone as a BT speaker for another phone.

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

I use a $3 adapter from Aliexpress for that:

danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

bluzee
Established Member

Post by bluzee »

danboid wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 1:11 am

I know how to use a Linux box as a BT speaker for a phone. I've got that working for both PA and ALSA. I'm wanting to use an Android phone as a BT speaker for another phone.

Yes, you've said this already.

For the phone to receive BT audio like you want it must expose A2DP Audio Sink. Does your phone do this? Don't know you won't tell. If it doesn't it could be because the hardware doesn't support it, manufacturer chose to not compile support into system, chose not to support profile or any and all combination of these. Seems like it is not something normally supported on Android Phone. I only ever see Audio Source on phones I've had.

Since you actually want the audio sent to stereo and not the phone BT audio receiver device as suggested for you is a simple solution.