Does using modular synth destroy Focusrite Scarlett headphone amp?

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

DisasterArea
Established Member

Does using modular synth destroy Focusrite Scarlett headphone amp?

Post by DisasterArea »

Hello,
half a year ago I bought a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3d gen and was glad that it worked out of the box on Linux with Jack, even at high sampling rates. I used it with a microphone, E-Guitar and E-Bass. All was fine.
Than I saw this software modular synth like Carla (maybe it's the same with VCV Rack) and start playing around with it while using headphone jack in the Scarlet. It works a while but suddenly the headphone preamp was getting more and more damaged (more and more distortion) and I send it back to the seller.
So after some weeks I got a brand new Scarlett from the seller and he confirmed, that the old one was totally broken.
Now again, the new one start to be damaged again and I will send it back.
Am I just a unlucky guy or is sound coming out modular synths dangerous for professional hardware?

Does others have observed this with other hardware and modular synth? Am I doing something wrong?

Last edited by DisasterArea on Wed Dec 21, 2022 7:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ubuntu Studio 22.04, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, NI Komplete Audio 6, Acoustic and E-Guitar, E-Bass, Modular Synth (Cardinal) KORG Nano Control Studio, Novation Launchkey 25
Impostor
Established Member

Re: Does using modular synth destroy Focusrite Scarlet headphone amp?

Post by Impostor »

Phono preamp is not a headphone amp.

ycollette
Established Member

Post by ycollette »

I remember some tutorial I followed on pure-data and the person presenting asked to add a high pass filter before the output node to be sure to remove any continuous component which can damage electronic devices managing the output sound.
May the same kind on consideration can apply to modular synth.

DisasterArea
Established Member

Post by DisasterArea »

Impostor wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:19 pm

Phono preamp is not a headphone amp.

It was a mistake I made when writing the post. I corrected it to "headphone". "phono" is something I would use together with my venyl record player. :)

Ubuntu Studio 22.04, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, NI Komplete Audio 6, Acoustic and E-Guitar, E-Bass, Modular Synth (Cardinal) KORG Nano Control Studio, Novation Launchkey 25